Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Move Over Tesla. Here Comes Cadillac.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 Tesla because the Caddy driver doesn't have his hands on the wheel and has a lot less to lose than a Tesla driver. But in all honesty, its a horrible example.

Not for me. I was braced in the back seat of a 2017 Cadillac when the driver took her feet off the pedals, and there was a human mannequin in the crosswalk. It warned her, she did nothing, then it slammed on the brakes violently with 1 foot left to spare. I filmed it.

I have no problem with keeping my hands on the wheel. I always keep my both hands on the wheel like I was driving. (Trust me, with AP2 I want those hands on the wheel, I NEED those hands on the wheel...)

The problem is, too often my Model X does not recognize their presence, unless I make conscious efforts to apply force - and the occasional zig-zag.

That is something I would gladly do without. Keeping hands on the wheel and eyes on the road is not a problem. But not having to make extra effort into "being noticed" would be great.

I find if I keep both hands on the wheel the "forces" cancel themselves out and the car will nag me. I've adopted a one handed approach, with my hand more or less at the 9 or 3 position. The resting weight of just one hand seems to keep it happy most of the time.

Not for me. I was braced in the back seat of a 2017 Cadillac when the driver took her feet off the pedals, and there was a human mannequin in the crosswalk. It warned her, she did nothing, then it slammed on the brakes violently with 1 foot left to spare. I filmed it.

Hmm, "car driving in parking lot @10mph manages to brake in time to not hit non-moving obstacle in the middle of its lane". Nice :rolleyes::p

....In the first image, the car seems to know the lanes are there, even though it does not see the lane markings.

In both straight and curvy stretches above, Autopilot was able to pickup the lane markings on its adjacent lane on its right as depicted on the dashboard as a white line.

It's possible that although it did not know where its current lane is, it could use the detected adjacent lane on its right as a reference.

Additionally, for the straight stretch, the car from the adjacent lane on the right and in front was kind enough to move to straight in front of me. (Actually, the car in his front was too slow so he moved in front of me for faster speed).

When there's a car directly in front of me, Autopilot can lock into that car and use it as a scout leading the way even in a lane-less road.

zoCnvAl.jpg

I think the hands free and use of an eye tracking camera to ensure the driver is paying attention is much more practical.

Hopefully Tesla will get to that stage soon... But AP2 seems to have set them back a long way.

I think the hands free and use of an eye tracking camera to ensure the driver is paying attention is much more practical.

Hopefully Tesla will get to that stage soon... But AP2 seems to have set them back a long way.

Well, Model 3 has the interior camera... and I'd expect future Model S/X will get it within weeks or quarter or two at least...

Current AP2/2.5 of course will be without luck in this regard.

This is clearly way better than even the best of AP1 and AP2 combined!

I would expect it to be better than AP1, but it's too soon to really say what it's strengths and weaknesses are.

When AP1 was initially capable of lane-steering I took it on a long road trip from Seattle to all the way down to Pismo beach, and back to Seattle. My experiences during that trip were largely positive where I was really impressed with what it could do.

But, do I use AP today? No.

As time went on I discovered things I didn't like about it, and that it wasn't worth bothering with except for times where I needed to use it for a few moment.

These are some of the things I hated.

There are car placement issues in the lane
There are truck lust incidents
There is the occasional "oh, hey an exit. Lets take it!"
There are the rare times where it's boneheadly stupid

With all those things being said it's never jerked me anywhere. It's more of a "where the hell are you going???" moment than a jerk. The jerk is when I take control back. That part could use a little refinement. I think it's easier to refine in the cadillac since it doesn't rely on a torque sensor. As soon as you bring your hands to the steering wheel it can turn off. Maybe Tesla can implement a squeeze to take over or something. I'm not sure as the whole L2 was supposed to be a temporary point.

I'm still pretty happy overall with AP1. I use TACC all the time, and in fact If I had to choose between a GF and TACC I might just choose TACC.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
The best AP1 and AP2 is better than this

WTF the guy drove 1000 miles without disengagement...

Even with all of this undisputeable evidence. You tesla fans are too much!

Google and GM could have L4 cars running right now in over 100 cities and you would still try to explain to me how tesla is ahead...

Exactly what i expected. No matter the proof you ppl still worship elon unconditionally.

Last edited:
......do I use AP today? No...

It sounds like you've been using Autopilot as a hands-off feature and when the system makes a mistake, you may not have enough time to get your hands back on the steering wheel to correct it.

I use it as a hands-on feature so I can feel the Autopilot torque. I can feel in real time whether it steers correctly or not. If it accidentally turns into an exit, the car still goes straight correctly and you would hear a Autopilot Disabled Chime because my hand(s) automatically overrides Autopilot torque and keep the car straight and not turning to an unintended exit.

I have never experienced "truck lust" with AP2 but even if it happens, a hands-on feature above would automatically keep the car steady with no hassle.

True.

I have never seen the blue car in my entire AP2 ownership. (Other than on some posts on TMC.)

Another discrepancy.
I got my car on 9/28/17 and have seen this a couple times. I think only on surface streets and only when there are no lane markers. Like maybe crossing a very large intersection with no lane markers then the car ahead turned blue. Pretty sure never on the freeways where they are pretty well marked. Yes, I am in California. Based on other comments, lucky me.

...1000 miles without disengagement...

That should continue with "under certain conditions" because the author admitted the problem of sunlight blinding the driver facing camera.

It was a subject report, not an objective report that there's a continuous unedited video to count the number of disengagements.

Any how, even with perfect no disengagement on freeway, it is not as versatile as Autopilot that is not disabled in many conditions: local streets, 65 MPH highway with intersections, construction zones...

There are many highways with intersections so by choosing Super Cruise I would lose quite a big chunk from that condition alone!

That's just too much to give up!

It sounds like you've been using Autopilot as a hands-off feature and when the system makes a mistake, you may not have enough time to get your hands back on the steering wheel to correct it.

I use it as a hands-on feature so I can feel the Autopilot torque. I can feel in real time whether it steers correctly or not. If it accidentally turns into an exit, the car still goes straight correctly and you would hear a Autopilot Disabled Chime because my hand(s) automatically overrides Autopilot torque and keep the car straight and not turning to an unintended exit.

I have never experienced "truck lust" with AP2 but even if it happens, a hands-on feature above would automatically keep the car steady with no hassle.

I use it as a hand-on feature. Lets not get carried away with plurals. :)

Err, maybe it's more like fingers on. So I guess plurals it is.

In any case I do have enough at the steering wheel to override it if it does something weird, and for "hold steering wheel" indicator to almost never come up.

We're not talking about any emergency maneuvers when it does something weird. More of an annoyance really. Enough that if I had a wife she'd yell at me like so many of you married dudes have had happen.

It's the oversight required more than anything else that makes it not worth the effort. It's not something I consciously told myself not to use. It's more like a collection of experiences led to it not being as attractive. A lot of it simply comes down to AP1 behaving differently in situations than I would. Like if I'm next to a semi I'm over a bit away from it where AP1 tries to center itself (not counting the rare truck lust events). Then at the other times it gets too close to barriers.

I'm not sure this whole Autopilot vs. SuperCruise really matters though. The simple fact is the better the system the more likely we (as a generalization) become lazy. Where we don't pay as much attention anymore unless we force ourselves to, and I don't believe the average person driving it after they get used to it.

Both Tesla and Cadillac can pretend were paying attention, but it's easy to space out while either looking forwards and holding the steering wheel.

WTF the guy drove 1000 miles without disengagement...

Even with all of this undisputeable evidence. You tesla fans are too much!

Google and GM could have L4 cars running right now in over 100 cities and you would still try to explain to me how tesla is ahead...

Exactly what i expected. No matter the proof you ppl still worship elon unconditionally.

Nice polemic but the bolded language is completely false and directly contradicted by the article. The article describes repeated disengagements: "On more than a few occasions, I was prompted take control ...." In fact, the reviewer reports that Supercruise worked on only 80% of the trip and got confused around interchanges, particularly in the LA metropolitan areas.

And you are cherry picking one of the most favorable reports and ignoring all the other data -- including multiple reviews posted upthread (including from Bloomberg and others) that report extensive disengagements even on easy "pristine" stretches of highway.

So it appears to be you that "worships GM unconditionally," without regard to data.

Nice polemic but the bolded language is completely false and directly contradicted by the article. The article describes repeated disengagements: "On more than a few occasions, I was prompted take control ...." In fact, the reviewer reports that Supercruise worked on only 80% of the trip and got confused around interchanges, particularly in the LA metropolitan areas.

And you are cherry picking one of the most favorable reports and ignoring all the other data -- including multiple reviews posted upthread (including from Bloomberg and others) that report extensive disengagements even on easy "pristine" stretches of highway.

So it appears to be you that "worships GM unconditionally," without regard to data.

WRONG!

The car gives you back control when you reach the end of an exit lane which you are still on.
This is an actual feature not an disengagement, think of it as a handover.

"On more than a few occasions, I was prompted take control for a mysterious reason that would later reveal itself. While driving on Interstate 10 through the Arizona and California desert, those instances were few and far between. Los Angeles' complex interchanges (which frankly confuse most humans) on the other hand meant I was taking control of the car on a regular basis."

Now for your "pristine stretches of highway"

Its was because of the low hanging of the sun from behind that blinds the camera facing sensor. which i have pointed out repeatedly before.
The camera facing system doesn't handle direct sun light. Its been evident in all the reviews. It has nothing to do with the actual L2 driving ability. Its two completely different tech.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
I would venture a guess the author did not have the rear privacy curtain up, or had one of the sunroofs open. It's on the overhead buttons.
Oddly the side rear privacy curtains are manual, but the windows are limo tint and unlikely to get dash glare.
The privacy curtains do not affect driving because the rearview mirror is digital.

WRONG!

The car gives you back control when you reach the end of an exit lane which you are still on.
This is an actual feature not an disengagement, think of it as a handover.

"On more than a few occasions, I was prompted take control for a mysterious reason that would later reveal itself. While driving on Interstate 10 through the Arizona and California desert, those instances were few and far between. Los Angeles' complex interchanges (which frankly confuse most humans) on the other hand meant I was taking control of the car on a regular basis."

This is a disengagement in common English usage. It is also a disengagement in the context of autonomous driving technology. For example, it meets the definition of a disengagement under the California regulations that require reporting of autonomous driving disengagements:

"For purposes of this section, 'disengagement' means a deactivation of the autonomous mode when a failure of the autonomous mode is detected or when the safe operation of the vehicle requires that the autonomous vehicle test driver disengage the autonomous mode and take immediate manual control of the vehicle." https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...9df2-5ded9f208e9e/adopted_txt.pdf?MOD=AJPERES (section 227.46)
In any case, the reviewer's report that he could only use Supercruise 80% of the time shows that Supercruise has serious limitations. And again you are cherry picking one of the most positive reviews and treating it as gospel, while ignoring the more negative ones.

Now for your "pristine stretches of highway"

Its was because of the low hanging of the sun from behind that blinds the camera facing sensor. which i have pointed out repeatedly before.
The camera facing system doesn't handle direct sun light. Its been evident in all the reviews. It has nothing to do with the actual L2 driving ability. Its two completely different tech.

This is a total fabrication.

The Bloomberg reviewer reported that on his test drive between New York City and DC, Supercruise would not enable on "long stretches" of the trip, including "pristine sections of the New Jersey turnpike." Cadillac Finally Has an Answer to Tesla’s Autopilot

There is no suggestion in the article that the inability to engage on long sections of the freeway was due to direct sunlight. There is no indication that it only happened at certain times of the day or only on part of the drive.

You are making this up out of whole cloth -- there is nothing in the article to support it.

And even if this were the cause .... If Supercruise's inability to handle sunshine were that severe that would be a huge problem, including because it would make Supercruise severely compromised at morning and in the evening, which is when people commute and would need it the most.

Last edited:
... If Supercruise's inability to handle sunshine were that severe, that's a huge problem, particularly so since it would make Supercruise severely compromised at morning and in the evening, which is when people commute and need it the most.

Understand that by definition, the eye sensor cannot be blinded by sun that is in your eyes.

And nobody knows at this stage whether the driver neglected to put up the curtain. I have driven cars where windshield distortion/ghosting, or displays being washed out by the sun negatively affected driving. I don't see the brief time span where it is possible to blind the eye camera as potentially dangerous. It just forces you to steer the car.

• Informative
Reactions: skitown