TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by WhiteStarSal, Dec 19, 2018.

1. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

How about those sports coilovers for the P3Ds? Did they hop on a boat yet?

2. Murattukaalai

Murattukaalai Member

@MountainPass Do you know anyone or are you guys doing a roadtrip via CO? I would love to experience before spending money on it. I know @kbecks13 was awesome in explaining the details and it seems like Sports version is better off with adjustments that suits your needs. Like finding the perfect balance between body roll while cornering and comfort for potholes. I never had to install these types of coilovers if I get sport version can I adjust the rear easily myself at home until I find that perfect balance? (Not talking about height adjustments)

@MountainPass @kbecks13 Again thanks for taking time to reply in detail to help me understand coilover nuances.

3. DNorris89

DNorris89 Member

ive watched their install videos and it looks like you can easily adjust the damper (soft/stiff) by removing the rear wheels and turning the scroll wheel looking adjustment.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. MountainPass

MountainPass Vendor

That is for the Sports coilovers, and you can even lie down and stick your arm in to adjust them if your arms are small enough like Sasha's :D

-Jesse

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

The front is a totally different suspension than the rear. The rear uses a 4-link suspension that is basically 4x "links" (metal arms) that control the wheel knuckle position and deflection. MPP and UP have developed replacements for 2x of these links that enable you to adjust their length and therefore suspension geometry to get the desired camber and toe angle. These arms are ONLY compatible with the rear suspension.

The front suspension utilizes an upper control arm and then 2x arms as a lower control arm, so 3x pieces total. Both Mountain Pass and Unplugged are also working on an adjustable upper control arm for the front, which will allow you to adjust your camber angle. Neither company has released this new adjustable control arm to the public just yet, still in development.

Aww shucks, that makes me happy :) As an engineer by living, i had to do a ton of research before spending a few thousand on a new suspension set-up ;)

6. BillO

BillO Member

Thanks for the info. If my goals for the comfort coilovers are to keep/improve comfort while lowering the ride height to 115mm - 120mm, then do you think I would need any of the control arms? I will never track the car.

7. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

I'm not sure how much reduction 115-120mm would be, but if you are lowering about 1" (25mm if we wanna stay consistent :)) or less than you will be fine without the arms, BUT you may have slightly faster tire wear from a not-great alignment. The stock suspension doesn't let you adjust camber and when you lower a car you increase your negative camber angle slightly. This means that the inside edge of your tires may wear down a bit faster than the outside.

I wouldn't say the arms are mandatory for your application, but it's nice to have to enable your alignment shop to get the car set-up perfectly.

8. BillO

BillO Member

Mountain Pass says stock ride height is 155mm front /150mm rear. So roughly lowering it by 30mm or 1.2”.

If the camber adjustment is going to be a problem, then it is going to be a problem on both front and rear. In that case I would want adjustable camber arms for both, right?

9. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Good to know, i hadn't seen that before!

Yep, but again they really aren't mandatory. I'd suggest installing the coilovers and then getting your car aligned and compare the numbers to the factory specs. Then you can make a more informed decision if they are truly required (nothing catastrophic would happen if you don't use them, just more tire wear/slight handling change) for you. Also then you can wait for the front arms to be released and do both at the same time.

Attached are factory alignment specs i found from a previous post, it's a bit old and may be slightly different now but probably not substantially.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  10. BillO

BillO Member

OK, thanks!

11. DNorris89

DNorris89 Member

@MountainPass Looks like the presale is over for the comfort coils, any updated ETA on shipping?!?!

12. MountainPass

MountainPass Vendor

Not accurate enough to be able to announce an ETA, but we know they are close enough to shipping that we ended the presale.

• Informative x 1
  13. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

Are the RWD Comfort coilovers in that same shipment? if not, any ETA on when those may be back in stock?

14. Bob M

Bob M Member

I have only had my M3 less than 2 weeks and have not noticed any hard hit issues even though I have driven it full of adults several times. I can’t remember where, but I saw an article with pictures of noticeably thicker back seats and a statement that the suspension had been recently improved for softer ride. Could I have benefitted from this improvement?

15. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Those changes happened about a year ago (suspension was end of Dec 2017 and seats were early 2018)

16. Bob M

Bob M Member

Thank you

17. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

I have heard others say the car sits at 5.5" or approximately 140mm, I checked mine and it sits right at that after 21k miles and 11 months, maybe it was a little taller when new but I did not check then, by now springs are settled in for sure!

18. BYE FSL

BYE FSL Member

Has anyone received the MP comfort coilvers for the performance 3?
    I am awaiting reviews.

19. DNorris89

DNorris89 Member

I don't believe they've come in yet. Currently waiting for mine.

20. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

I see you disagreed with my measurements, what is your clearence? maybe mine is different?

• Funny x 1