Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who installed MPP coilovers on RWD with stock aeros list the advantages over stock coilovers?
Any benefit in range?
Ride comfort has dramatic increase? Is it like Benz S class or E class shocks?
Just trying to understand the reasons to switch other than looks and lowering fender gaps.
Thanks in advance.
John

Reactions: dgaultiere
Anyone who installed MPP coilovers on RWD with stock aeros list the advantages over stock coilovers?
Any benefit in range?
Ride comfort has dramatic increase? Is it like Benz S class or E class shocks?
Just trying to understand the reasons to switch other than looks and lowering fender gaps.
Thanks in advance.
John

We designed them to allow you to lower your car without ruining the ride. It will not ride like an S-Class, maybe a Model S can do that though!

We designed them to allow you to lower your car without ruining the ride. It will not ride like an S-Class, maybe a Model S can do that though!
Thank you,

Essentially lower the height with stock feel to the ride for comforts. Anyone in this forum saying they don't notice potholes like stocks or body roll is less just seeing placebo effect of spending $2K

Reactions: dingmah
Anyone in this forum saying they don't notice potholes like stocks or body roll is less just seeing placebo effect of spending $2K

Not really, i'd love if @MountainPass could confirm but i'd venture a guess that the stock dampers are fairly linear and MPP is using something more digressive. I'm pretty confident UP is doing this. This reduces body roll but still gives high speed blow-off for when you hit bumps.

When they say it's not going to be like an S-Class, that's because its still a coilover suspension and not a super fancy/expensive air suspension. Totally different suspension technologies that aren't really comparable.

Here's an exaggerated graph of what i'm trying to explain:
linear+shock+valving1096554254.jpg

Thanks for patiently answer my questions, I'm complete newbie in suspension world, don't know what's the right question to ask.

Don't want to end up spending close $2500 with installation and then not like the ride and comes out same as stock.

Now from your other thread I learnt something that sport coilovers has better adjustments that can make the ride soft to stiff compared to the comfort coilovers which cannot do that.

So I'm not expecting air suspension Model S level improvement but at least not feel lot of minor bumps/potholes along the way and little less body roll in corners.

@MountainPass What's the advantage of going to sport coilovers for regular street rider compared to comfort? Also the minor adjustments, can I do it myself or take it to a shop?

Thanks for patiently answer my questions, I'm complete newbie in suspension world, don't know what's the right question to ask.

Don't want to end up spending close $2500 with installation and then not like the ride and comes out same as stock.

How do you plan to use this car, will you visit the track at all? Do you enjoy sports car handling and/or mind a slightly rough ride?

It really depends what you're looking for. Some people just want a smooth ride and don't care much about going fast or taking turns at speed while others dont care about the ride quality and just want something for a race track.

Sounds like you are mainly just looking for comfort?

Also the minor adjustments, can I do it myself or take it to a shop?

The adjustments on both UP and MPP coilovers for rebound and compression can be made by yourself at home via small knobs on the shock. Adjusting the rear suspension is a little tricky though unless you have very small hands and you might need a jack to get access and/or crawl under the car.

The ride height adjustment would probably have to happen at a shop unless you're more advanced and feel comfortable doing some semi-invasive "surgery" on your own. Normally you set the ride height once during installation and that's that.

When it comes to how our dampers feel versus OEM, or other suspension systems, the real test is to go for a ride and see how they feel.

We could get into some very technical discussion but in the end it wouldn't given you a true picture of the ride.

Most of our customers are awesome and happy to meetup with someone for a fee minutes, talk Teslas and take them for a ride. If you're seriously looking at these but need to know what the car will feel like, that is really the best way to feel at ease about your purchase.

Anything we tell you will be biased and like you said, the placebo effect is real!

The reality is we tuned the comfort coilovers to have what we consider to be the ideal feel for a sporty sedan on the road. The factory suspension is too harsh in some areas and wallows too much in other areas. We love our damper / spring setup and think we hit the nail on the head with our goals - but again, we are biased!

Unfortunately due to miscommunication with Germany our comfort coilovers have not come back in stock yet, they should be here in early March if the information we've received is valid.

@kbecks13 is on the right track, I will say that!

Sasha

When it comes to how our dampers feel versus OEM, or other suspension systems, the real test is to go for a ride and see how they feel.

We could get into some very technical discussion but in the end it wouldn't given you a true picture of the ride.

Most of our customers are awesome and happy to meetup with someone for a fee minutes, talk Teslas and take them for a ride. If you're seriously looking at these but need to know what the car will feel like, that is really the best way to feel at ease about your purchase.

Anything we tell you will be biased and like you said, the placebo effect is real!

The reality is we tuned the comfort coilovers to have what we consider to be the ideal feel for a sporty sedan on the road. The factory suspension is too harsh in some areas and wallows too much in other areas. We love our damper / spring setup and think we hit the nail on the head with our goals - but again, we are biased!

Unfortunately due to miscommunication with Germany our comfort coilovers have not come back in stock yet, they should be here in early March if the information we've received is valid.

@kbecks13 is on the right track, I will say that!

Sasha
early march for awd comforts i hope!