Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coils NUMBERS ONLY THREAD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have preferred settings on the 20" inductions? I have a kid in a car seat, and it can get quite uncomfortable at these settings on freeways.

I'm currently at set by my installer. Looking to make some adjustments after a few thousand miles on the setup. Ride height is at 742mm all around.

10C/10R front
12C/16R rear

Hey I think MPP recommends that your compression and rebound stay within two clicks of each other. ie 12/14,14/16.

Maybe change your rears? Think it messes with the valving in the dampers.

Hey I think MPP recommends that your compression and rebound stay within two clicks of each other. ie 12/14,14/16.

Maybe change your rears? Think it messes with the valving in the dampers.
It is ok to deviate from that, but yes, normally it makes things simple to keep the C and R settings close to each other. Even with track use, I am not sure we have had to have more than a 3 click difference!

I have the lift kit plus MPP comforts, camber and toe arms on mine, plus heavy AT tires and my initial settings are:

Front:
  • Compression 12
  • Rebound 12
Rear:
  • Compression 10
  • Rebound 8
So far very happy but I will see how everything feels in a couple thousand miles after everything has settled. May try 12/10 on the rears at that point.

Now at 22k miles, F: 14/11, R: 15/12. I will possibly adjust the compression 1 click firmer, to better align with MPP recommendation of keeping the numbers within 2 of each other.

I've just returned from 2 lengthy drives, rental cars, one in rural Maryland (BWI to Taneytown, MD, all ribbon-smooth asphalt), the other a 500 mile road trip, counter-clockwise, Oregon: PDX to Astoria, down to Newport, over to Corvallis, back to PDX. Also almost entirely asphalt.

Jeez...wish I lived in either place, as the Tesla would be super-smooth there. Here in the DFW region, the uneven old and cracked concrete is a...royal...pain...in...the...ass. The MPPs make it manageable, but even our new-to-us 2019 Avalon Hybrid Limited struggles to maintain its dignity.

Even if I wanted to, my MPP coilovers R setting won't physically budge past 14R. Hence my question if the R and C were reversed when posting..
It's possible that you are stiffening the rebound rather than softening if you don't have extra clicks after 14, but I bet you would notice that while driving, so it's probably not that. I did find that I had more perceptible clicks from full stiff for rebound in the rear coilovers as compared to the front coilovers, even though it didn't make a difference in softening past 14 clicks from full stiff.

MPP's video is pretty useful for figuring out how to turn for rebound and compression adjustments:

Edit: @gbertsch Just saw your clarification in your latest post, but I'll leave the link up just in case it helps anyone!

This may be slightly off-topic for this thread, but I wanted to share something just in case it helped anyone else with the MPP coilovers.

I went to my installer yesterday about some pinging coming from my front passenger wheel well when I turned the wheel at a stop (no brake use) or turning at low speeds. This was after taking it to the service center (worried that it was an upper control arm issue). Both the service center and installer agreed that it was likely spring binding, which apparently is a relatively common issue with aftermarket springs. How it was explained to me: as a spring compresses, it twists or rotates. If the spring isn't allowed to rotate as it compresses for whatever reason, it can skip and cause that pinging noise. According to the service center and installers, it isn't really a safety issue and maybe a performance issue if you're racing (but not a concern for street use).

Installer said they would reach out to MPP about it to see if they have any advice. Otherwise, they would install thrust washers (or bearings), which allow the springs to rotate more freely as they compress.

Others with more knowledge of aftermarket suspension can chime in, as I'm just relaying info that was given to me by the service tech (shout out to Dustin at the Lisle, IL SC), and my coilover installers. Will update as I learn more. Hope this helps others if they've noticed any pinging sounds!

Reactions: whisperingshad
Update, after about 15k miles on the MPP coilovers.

F: 12/10
R: 10/10

90% of driving solo, no passengers, no load. I'm actually surprised that this more "firm" setting is so compliant. Maybe it's the 15k miles on them, or, maybe, just maybe, my "butt dyno" has softened so much that I'm numb to the now legendary "harsh" ride of the Tesla MY?

We'll never know...

This may be slightly off-topic for this thread, but I wanted to share something just in case it helped anyone else with the MPP coilovers.

I went to my installer yesterday about some pinging coming from my front passenger wheel well when I turned the wheel at a stop (no brake use) or turning at low speeds. This was after taking it to the service center (worried that it was an upper control arm issue). Both the service center and installer agreed that it was likely spring binding, which apparently is a relatively common issue with aftermarket springs. How it was explained to me: as a spring compresses, it twists or rotates. If the spring isn't allowed to rotate as it compresses for whatever reason, it can skip and cause that pinging noise. According to the service center and installers, it isn't really a safety issue and maybe a performance issue if you're racing (but not a concern for street use).

Installer said they would reach out to MPP about it to see if they have any advice. Otherwise, they would install thrust washers (or bearings), which allow the springs to rotate more freely as they compress.

Others with more knowledge of aftermarket suspension can chime in, as I'm just relaying info that was given to me by the service tech (shout out to Dustin at the Lisle, IL SC), and my coilover installers. Will update as I learn more. Hope this helps others if they've noticed any pinging sounds!
Any update? Mine do the same since installed

I believe mine are set at 13/12 front and 12/12 rear. Thinking of still making them softer to increase ride quality. Anyone running them at 14/14 still?

In regards to ride height. strangely for me, my installer (who is local to MPP and works with them), pretty well maxed out my ride height settings to the best possible position without compromising the effect of ride quality, and I'm probably 0.5" to 0.75" lower than stock.

Reactions: Pianewman