Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth upgrading 2022 MS LR to 2022 Plaid or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like all of that but the problem is that I can still do ALL of that using either of my current Mbenz or BMW... "s. I can cool or heat the car before I go out. I can check out the sentry mode and see if anyone is near the car. I can easily send my driving destinations to the car to navigate there directly." .... And of course since both of them have the V8 engine, honestly, in all cases I always feel they are on the right gear.

I never had a Tesla, but I am a car guy, and I am only going for a Tesla just to see what is it that I might be missing? On paper? Seems like there is no gain but rather A LOT to lose especially from someone who is switching from an S-class and BMW X7... It just makes no sense on paper but I hope owning a Tesla will prove all that wrong.. . As a car guy. am willing to take the risk...

You can do all of that in which car? Being able to turn on the A/C, change the temp, turn on cooled seats/heated seats all from the app is great. A lot of the other manufacturers have remote start, but they turn off in 10 min, can't adjust the temp of the car, etc. You also shouldn't do this in the garage.

As someone that has owned over 250 cars, with a bunch of great cars currently, the Plaid is phenomenal. There are things other cars give you that the Plaid cannot, and vise versa. However, the plaid is very fast, and so is the LR to be honest, the app is great, the cruise control is great, always being in the right gear is a plus, especially on the highway, the car rides smooth and is very quiet! The screen is great and so is the tech inside, and more. Charging at a 250kw charger is very fast, and you can watch netflix or eat lunch while you charge, and it's quite nice having the music apps directly on the MMI vs having to use the phone.

I think right now a used plaid in the ~$85k range is an absolute steal.

You can do all of that in which car? Being able to turn on the A/C, change the temp, turn on cooled seats/heated seats all from the app is great. A lot of the other manufacturers have remote start, but they turn off in 10 min, can't adjust the temp of the car, etc. You also shouldn't do this in the garage.

As someone that has owned over 250 cars, with a bunch of great cars currently, the Plaid is phenomenal. There are things other cars give you that the Plaid cannot, and vise versa. However, the plaid is very fast, and so is the LR to be honest, the app is great, the cruise control is great, always being in the right gear is a plus, especially on the highway, the car rides smooth and is very quiet! The screen is great and so is the tech inside, and more. Charging at a 250kw charger is very fast, and you can watch netflix or eat lunch while you charge, and it's quite nice having the music apps directly on the MMI vs having to use the phone.

I think right now a used plaid in the ~$85k range is an absolute steal.
Yes... that's the problem of most Tesla current owners, they didn't realize how far German vehicles have upgraded their systems also in the last 1-3 years. Yes I can do that all together from my S-class and my BMW X7. Interior temperature does not matter, car syncs to the constant last setting (always 70F) auto mode, which turns the fans max to medium to low as needed until 70F is reached (cooling or heating). I can also take 360 cameras anytime. Even my Lincoln turns on seats cooling/heating from the app. There are things than no longer exclusive to Tesla so a Tesla car to entice more owners they nice to up their game in the silly zero luxury & tech interior. Having said that, as a car guy, I will give the Tesla a try. I can understand why someone would want a Model 3 or Y, given they are cheap and better than similar Toyotas or other cheap vehicles in that range like a C-lass, but in the 100K range or so, I have doubts that the S or X is even close to the S-class or X5 or X7.... am ready to take the risk though to close this chapter.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Our 2020 Mercedes GLC even has OTA updates like the Tesla. I bet 95% of Tesla owners didn't think any other car other than a Tesla has OTA updates.

The only difference is that the OTA updates on the Mercedes are rare because they actually finished the software before releasing the car, unlike Tesla that are constantly patching up their buggy, thrown-together software and adding the missing features that were previously promised.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art VandeIay
I'm a new Tesla owner. I am not sure what all brands do or don't have, but I know the older cars didn't have the best tech. It's nice to know they are coming along. I know my Urus Performante doesn't even have remote start from the app.

My biggest gripe with my F-150 was that if I had the A/C low, or off, then it wouldn't turn on with the remote start. it's nice to be able to control turning it on, adjusting it, etc all from the app on Tesla. I haven't had any new BMWs, the newest I've owned is a 2020 M4, which I don't recall having much on the app at all. MBrace on my last G63 was decent, but still not great. One thing I know for sure is that it's great being able to get the car up to temp while it's in the garage and not having to open the door. I can open it from the phone, but it's nice not having to. Also I noticed other brands have a lot of lag in their apps that i've experienced.

As far as OTA, even Ford has them, this is not new. Many brands have these, including Jeep as well. I know my 2019 Grand Cherokee has them.

The Plaid is a great car overall. The screen is great in the back for my kid, turning on disney+ for him is nice. It's fast, which isn't a huge deal as I have many fast cars, although nice nonetheless. I really like the fact that it has all the music apps built in and I don't have to use bluetooth audio. I guess you just have to buy one and you'll see it's a great car.

Reactions: Propofoln
Wee
I'm a new Tesla owner. I am not sure what all brands do or don't have, but I know the older cars didn't have the best tech. It's nice to know they are coming along. I know my Urus Performante doesn't even have remote start from the app.

My biggest gripe with my F-150 was that if I had the A/C low, or off, then it wouldn't turn on with the remote start. it's nice to be able to control turning it on, adjusting it, etc all from the app on Tesla. I haven't had any new BMWs, the newest I've owned is a 2020 M4, which I don't recall having much on the app at all. MBrace on my last G63 was decent, but still not great. One thing I know for sure is that it's great being able to get the car up to temp while it's in the garage and not having to open the door. I can open it from the phone, but it's nice not having to. Also I noticed other brands have a lot of lag in their apps that i've experienced.

As far as OTA, even Ford has them, this is not new. Many brands have these, including Jeep as well. I know my 2019 Grand Cherokee has them.

The Plaid is a great car overall. The screen is great in the back for my kid, turning on disney+ for him is nice. It's fast, which isn't a huge deal as I have many fast cars, although nice nonetheless. I really like the fact that it has all the music apps built in and I don't have to use bluetooth audio. I guess you just have to buy one and you'll see it's a great car.

Love my MSP other than the 80 mph vibration

As someone that has done a lot of seat time in a 2014 S550, I think you will be extremely disappointed with the Model S in every way, shape, and form after the newness of the Model S wears off. The S550 blows the Model S out of the water in every criteria you have mentioned, except for software. And just wait until you make your first visit to the Service Center. You will feel like you've been kidnapped and human trafficked. Seriously.

Yes, the Model S LR is more than enough performance for you. It is extremely fast compared to most everything else you will see on your daily route, so you will be more than satisfied. But it is not nippy. It's very similar to the S550 is feeling like a big heavy car.

BTW, FSD is $200 per month, but since you are looking at buying used, hold out for Model S that has FSD because that $15K only adds a few grand to the price in the open market.
We’ve had 2 S550’s 13 & 17 both nice cars but spent lots of time in the Mercedes service for various issues. Motor mounts that wear quick and the dreaded air suspension bag leaks were just a few of the issues. I would take the PLAID every day over the Mercedes in an overall comparison. I say this, even though my nephew is a Mercedes tech lol.

It all comes down to priorities. I don't care to be coddled. I don't care about massaging seats. I don't care about having and ultra-lux interior or more video screens that are likely to break. Sadly most of the MB EVs look hideous to me, at least their snouts. Same for almost all of the BMWs. When they went to the ugly oversized kidney grill they totally lost me and I haven't bought another BMW since then.

From a looks perspective I'll take the current crop of S and its competitors as follows:

Model S
Lucid Air - Even though it sort of looks like an electric Buick from some angles. Other angles I like it as much as the S.
Taycan Sport Turismo
Taycan/E-tron

Most of the others are so ugly I wouldn't buy one.

So far very happy with my MS Plaid. WIthout the track mode, I think the Taycan handles better but last one I drove didn't support one-pedal driving which I love on a daily basis. Track mode on the Plaid really changes the car's dynamics. The Lucid definitely feels more upscale but not as much fun to toss around and I'd spend a lot more to get close to the Plaid level or performance and definitely doesn't handle as well.

Every car has its benefits and weaknesses. There is no perfect car. Plaid works very well for me and I realize its shortcomings. None of them are enough to have me jump ship or put it another way, no other company offers a compelling enough package that I am willing to jump. The ones that even approach my Plaid in the areas that matter to me, cost a lot more money. I can't see paying more to get less. I don't mind paying more, but I want to get more. So for the S is the sweet spot in the currently available cars that I would consider.

Buy what you like but drive it before you buy it.

We’ve had 2 S550’s 13 & 17 both nice cars but spent lots of time in the Mercedes service for various issues. Motor mounts that wear quick and the dreaded air suspension bag leaks were just a few of the issues. I would take the PLAID every day over the Mercedes in an overall comparison. I say this, even though my nephew is a Mercedes tech lol.
Interesting. If your decision is based on the service/maintenance records, that might be an outlier sort of data point. Both of my S-class vehicles lasted 6 years in my possession and never ever went to dealer for mechanical issue, literally not a single issue. Mostly re-calls (about one for each) and beside that just oil changes once a year.

What does the track mode in the plaid offers that the MS LR doesn’t have? Am really trying to see if it really worth it to go for the Plaid as am not interested in speed… only comfort matters for me.

Last edited:
Track mode transforms the car when in it from a vehicle dynamics perspective. The lateral torque vectoring is one of the main benefits of it. Adjustable vehicle dynamics allows you to alter a lot of things and turn the car into a total RWD 700HP drift car.

If mostly interested in comfort, not much point going for the Plaid. Overall you are likely disappointed in any Tesla. Better brands out there to coddle you than Tesla. If you like Ikea furniture, then you'll love Tesla.

Reactions: CDrury and TLLMRRJ
Track mode transforms the car when in it from a vehicle dynamics perspective. The lateral torque vectoring is one of the main benefits of it. Adjustable vehicle dynamics allows you to alter a lot of things and turn the car into a total RWD 700HP drift car.

If mostly interested in comfort, not much point going for the Plaid. Overall you are likely disappointed in any Tesla. Better brands out there to coddle you than Tesla. If you like Ikea furniture, then you'll love Tesla.
Hmmmm I see…. Man thanks so much for the honest feedback and saving me a ton of time and money.

If that’s true, I wonder if the 2020-2021 BMW B7 Alpina would be a better replacement of my current S-class….. It’s luxury, heaving, super comfortable, shiny exterior and also good on highways and fast when needed. Maybe better for me that MS… not sure….

Drive and decide. While I think there are some great things about Teslas, they aren't for everyone. Hell, EVs in general aren't for everyone.

Spend some seat time and get to know the car. Rent one on Turo and possibly save yourself from making an expensive mistake.

I bought an S because I wanted an EV and performance was very important to me. I wanted something pretty reliable, and a very good charging network. Then I started diving into my less important needs/wants. I am under no illusions I bought a luxurious car. I've had enough of those to know the difference. I was willing to trade some of that for the other things Tesla offers in spades.

Every day I do enjoy how well everything comes together when I drive it. Autopilot works well for me. Seats are comfy. AC is outstanding and I am dealing with temps about 110F right now. Efficiency is excellent and I love how the car looks. A 2 second blast of the accelerator is enough to help me relax from a stressful day at work.

The S is a great car if it aligns with what you are looking for. The 3 is too downscale for me to be long-term happy with it. My wife is fine but it is always small doses for her. I am good with short commutes. The lack of creature comforts like cooled/ventilated seats just make it unpleasant for me in the summer or on a longer trip.

There currently isn't another EV I'd give up my Plaid for. It is almost the perfect combination for what I want/need right now however everyone's situation is different. Like the old saying one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I would argue that the Plaid is quite a bit luxurious. I suppose it depends how we define that. For me, ride quality is a big deal, and How something rides is a big determining factor. I drove a friends Genesis for example and for 90k it's supposed to be their luxury car. While it may have some luxury interior features, the engine sound, and overall feeling still felt too "Kia/Hyundai like" for me.

Plaid has nice leather interior, comfort seats, very smooth and quiet ride, and the screen is exceptional. If you factor in speed, I don't know a better value. I should mention I love the new 7 series, I love MB and the S class, and think the Plaid is even better if you can afford to have another gas powered vehicle as a stable mate. Would I replace an S class or a 7 Series for a Plaid as my only car? That's a big maybe. I would honestly have to flip a coin because i'm smack dab in the middle.

How about range... am seeing that going from 21" on the MS, to the 22" on the plaid drops the range from 375 to about 348 ...... all of a sudden instead of a MS with 400 miles, with the plaid u r limited to a max of 348 and likely a 300-320 miles in real life.

Should that be a factory that I must keep in mind, or is truly only a 25 miles difference between the MS LR 21" vs 22" Plaid and that's about it for real life difference?

what do u think a 2022 MS Plaid with 10K miles and Full FSD worth with white interior?

Last edited:
The S Plaid has either 21's or 19's, not 22's except for the X. According to Tesla, the 19's (406 vs 395) on the S LR and Plaid are closer to each other regarding the estimated range vs the 21's (375 vs 348).

Real world range can vary a lot. I can tell you that my Plaid on 21' vs MS LR on 19's, used about 27% more energy on a daily basis. Part of that is Udo use the power of the Plaid more than I did the LR. Most of it is the 21's.

For me, I get about 80% of the rated range. I drive about 75 mph avg on the freeway and run the AC all the time. Pre-conditioning is your friend when possible.

If you want max range, get the 19's. Basic rule of thumb is buy the smallest wheel diameter for any Tesla if range is your #1 priority.

Reactions: Propofoln
The S Plaid has either 21's or 19's, not 22's except for the X. According to Tesla, the 19's (406 vs 395) on the S LR and Plaid are closer to each other regarding the estimated range vs the 21's (375 vs 348).

Real world range can vary a lot. I can tell you that my Plaid on 21' vs MS LR on 19's, used about 27% more energy on a daily basis. Part of that is Udo use the power of the Plaid more than I did the LR. Most of it is the 21's.

For me, I get about 80% of the rated range. I drive about 75 mph avg on the freeway and run the AC all the time. Pre-conditioning is your friend when possible.

If you want max range, get the 19's. Basic rule of thumb is buy the smallest wheel diameter for any Tesla if range is your #1 priority.

But 21’s look way better than 19s, percentage wise vs the range