Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth upgrading 2022 MS LR to 2022 Plaid or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can see actual retail sales prices on Cars and Bids for Plaids. Spoiler alert: Values are not good.

The most expensive, top end version of any automaker takes a huge depreciation hit. What’s your point? For example, my last car was a Porsche Panamera Turbo S ehybrid. Bought it 2 years old with 2000 miles on it for $140k. Sticker was $230k. Buyer lost $100k driving it 2,000 miles.

It was a $30K difference when I bought my LR at the end of 2022, and I would be kicking myself every day if I had paid that difference. No one wants to race my LR either, and launching it already freaks out passengers that one launch is enough for them.

Ding ding ding. LR is one badass car no matter how you slice it; doesn’t matter what you read here in the forums.

I’ve had mine since January and still haven’t engaged Drag Strip Mode. I’m most definitely not the Plaid audience either.

Reactions: dsc888
The most expensive, top end version of any automaker takes a huge depreciation hit. What’s your point? For example, my last car was a Porsche Panamera Turbo S ehybrid. Bought it 2 years old with 2000 miles on it for $140k. Sticker was $230k. Buyer lost $100k driving it 2,000 miles.

The point is they are dropping like a rock compared to last year, when they absolutely did not drop like a rock, proving you are wrong.

You're barking up the wrong tree. And no, high end cars don't always take a huge depreciation hit. Sorry you are so offended.

I’ve had Porsches, BMWs, Mercedes and they all take a huge depreciation hit. The most expensive models the most. Not sure how you can use pandemic/supply chain time when all used cars were artificially high as a data point for the argument as poster said above.

I’ve had Porsches, BMWs, Mercedes and they all take a huge depreciation hit. The most expensive models the most. Not sure how you can use pandemic/supply chain time when all used cars were artificially high as a data point for the argument as poster said above.

Porsche GT cars are among their most expensive models and they tend to hold steady or appreciate.

I would not buy the Plaid, even though I sold my 2019 performance Model S and purchased a 2023 Plaid Model S in May/early June. I agree with other replies to your post that the 21" wheels would be a downgrade. They look great but reduce your range by about 50 miles. Pulling a trailer would make this worse. My Plaid Model S uses Tesla vision, which has been totally disappointing to date. I have FSD. It was significantly better with my 2019 Performance Model S using radar. The car is incredibly fast. The first time I punched it, I thought I was being catapulted off the carrier again. But that alone isn't worth the 21K, IMHO.

I am loving the PLAID! Thanks for all the advice.
Welcome to the club. Glad you are enjoying it. There are better cars out there depending on what you need/want. I have to say I haven't found a more enjoyable daily driver. I also found I stopped riding my hyper motorcycles a lot too. Setting in the Texas heat when it it 105+ out, on a motorcycle stuck in traffic, makes me appreciate that Plaid even more.

While some of my bikes are quicker than my Plaid, I can relax in AC, comfort and have incredible acceleration while taking some friends along for a blast. The Plaid is an incredible value. Once my track pack is installed this week, it will be even better.

Reactions: shrfu31
I bought a Y and my S for about the same price and my wife was happy, until she wasn't. She didn't really like driving the Y that much and neither did I. There were no tests of how quick the LR was going to but I did some interpolation of performance and I figured the MS LR would be slower than the outgoing performance Model S to 60 but would be pretty close to it at higher speeds. For me a approximately second quicker to 60 wasn't worth 50k but I have several sport bikes and mid 10's in the quarter and mid 2's to 60, is about where I like to be for my daily rider.

I am interested in knowing more about your experience driving the Y and the difference between the S and Y and how they drive.

My daily drive is an S-class and I am thinking of enjoying a Tesla Model S for the first time though I have really very poor expectations but will give it a try as a car guy. Also, how about Model X?

I am interested in knowing more about your experience driving the Y and the difference between the S and Y and how they drive.

My daily drive is an S-class and I am thinking of enjoying a Tesla Model S for the first time though I have really very poor expectations but will give it a try as a car guy. Also, how about Model X?
Glad to provide input. All opinions are just mine. I may gore a few sacred cows.

You touched upon something that I think is very important; expectations. By knowing what you expect, you can quickly ascertain how likely, or not, you'll be disappointed with a given Tesla model.

My first one was a Y long range, aka MS LR. Flat out, I'd never buy a Y again. I could write a book about it but I don't really need an SUV/CUV and what you give up over the 3 in day to day fun, efficiency, engagement, etc. isn't offset by the increased utility of the Y. That is merely my subjective opinion. Tesla once said that the 3 and Y share over 70% of the same parts. Well, something got lost in the translation, I'll tell you that. The dynamics of the Y are clumsy at best. It really was a boring car to drive on a daily basis. I even added acceleration boost which tuned it up a bit but still pretty boring no very long and the efficiency was pretty bad. After about 6 months of ownership, the values were skyrocketing and I sold it at peak oil and bought a M3 LR.

Ordered the refreshed Model S long range, MS LR, at about the same time. So much better than the MY LR I couldn't believe it. While it was bigger and heavier, it did feel more agile. Acceleration was vastly better. Having a hatch I pretty much had the utility of the Y. It wasn't so ugly as the Y that only its mother could love it. The Y always reminded me of a puffer fish in the middle of inflating. The S always looked good to me. I had things I appreciated a lot such as ventilated and cooled seats, air suspension that I could dial in for comfort or handling, and adjustable ride height. My MS LR had better efficiency than my Y and with a bigger pack had a much better range. All in all the S was more upscale but not what I'd call luxurious. The 3/Y obviously shopped at the Ikea school of interior design. My S came with the yoke which I hated, tried it for a while, and still hated it. I finally sold my MS LR because it never delivered on its claimed performance. At the time I ordered, it wasn't worth the 50k upgrade to buy the Plaid.

Once I decided to jettison the Y, I ordered a 3. It arrived almost simultaneously with the MS LR. Unfortunately, there was a delivery issue with the S so by the time it was fixed I'd already driven the M3 LR a lot more. I had almost immediately added acceleration boost to it which had knocked about a half second off its 4.2 claimed 0-60 time. The 3 in this guise was almost everything I had hoped the MY LR would have been and more. Almost every time I get in the 3, I enjoy driving it. It is the closest thing to Miata Tesla currently builds and is an awesome platform to tweak. The efficiency is great as well. The Y driving it the same way as the 3, got about 30-40% worse efficiency. My 3 rode better with stock suspension than the Y, handled better, was quieter, better headlights, and a bit more legroom up front but less in the rear, a lot less if that matters. I ultimately upgraded the suspension to coilovers from MPP and the car is just an amazing daily driver. It would have been my favorite daily driver if I hadn't bought the Model S Plaid.

As I mentioned I was frustrated, that is putting it mildly, that the MS LR didn't meet its claimed performance specs. That grew and grew until I finally started shopping for a Plaid. I was originally leaning toward and X Plaid but once I found out the middle seats didn't fold flat, I tossed that idea and ended up buying a S Plaid. All the basic benefits of the MS LR but without about 50% more power, a carbon fiber trunk spoiler and track mode. Also included at no extra charge is the ability to out-drive your brakes. The track mode is a blast, you can read up on it elsewhere. Hands down it was worth the extra money for the Plaid over the LR if the word performance is even in your vocabulary. What they don't tell you is if you really push it a lot, and do repeated braking from high speeds, you might want to invest in the track pack brakes. I did and worth every extra dollar. The Plaid's performance is just phenomenal for a street car that has a full warranty. See the vid at the end of a line up against a Chiron from a dig and a roll.

Let's talk about the X. I'll easily take the S over the X if I don't need the extra room. I've had an X for a loaner several times and put a fair number of miles on it. I personally feel that how much better the 3 is to the Y for daily driving, the S to the X is the same way. The X is crashes into bumps that my S mostly ignores. I had them both in the same ride modes. I think the falcon wing doors are a gimmick and just something else to break. I do like how you can remotely open all the doors on the car. That isn't enough for me to buy an X though. If I had to tow something though, and I wanted a warranty to do it, then I'd have to consider and X or Y. I said the heck with that and just put a hitch on my 3 and it tows well. If it breaks from towing, it will be my responsibility but I doubt that will happen. I had no issues with my Y and the 3 is similar enough I am not worried.

So it really comes down to expectations and what you want the car to do. How do you plan to use it? Do you want massaging seat and telescoping thigh support? Do you expect service to coddle your butt everytime you come in? With my last AMG Benz I was always treated well at the dealership. Not going to be the same experience with Tesla. Find someone good at your local service center and hold on to that person and deal with them every time.

So buy a Tesla if you want a car that is pushing the state of the art in a lot of areas. Be prepared to be a beta tester of sorts. Keep in mind the ecosystem is constantly evolving. Expect them to get 90-95% of the basics right. Sometimes that last 5-10% can be infuriating. Expect Tesla to change something at any time, could be better, could be worse. Be prepared for a car unlike almost anything else on the road with so many others trying to copy or surpass it.

I don't drink the Tesla Kool-aid. I borderline hated my Y. My wife says I shouldn't use hate so I'll say I strong disliked it. It could have been so much more. Sure the market sucked it up but many of the buyers are just lemmings. I'd rather tow a trailer behind my 3 for when I needed more cargo space than make all the sacrifices I did to have the Y. The Plaid is just on another level. It is the performance bargain of the century. Did they get it all right? No, but I was able to address my concerns about the brakes. Do I need any more luxury than it provides? No, but I am at about the minimum level of luxury I'd want. The 3 and Y are seriously lacking in creature comforts. With either S and my 3, I can pretty much get 300 miles out of them on a full charge. That assumes I'm not driving 80+ mph. The MS LR, I could do 80 mph but it had smaller wheels than my Plaid (19" vs 21") and that helps the range a lot on Teslas.

As for the S vs Y, the S is so much quicker, handles nicer (more planted and higher levels of grip), generally feels more composed, is more comfortable, quieter, feels a lot more upscale, and looks 1000x better to me.

So of all the current Teslas I've driven I'd rank them as follows for the fun to drive. Just my list and others may disagree.

MS Plaid
M3P
MX Plaid
M3 LR w/boost
MS LR
M3 LR
MX LR

MYP
M3 Std (RWD)
MY LR

Glad to answer any questions and feel free to DM.

Thanks @DayTrippin
You made it fairly easy for me to push the MY out of my list, but I always thought the X is another option that can be as good as the S.

I am interested in the S and have it at the top of my list for now, but I am not a fast driver and I think the MS LR will have just enough power than will even feel better than my current fairly new and modern Mercedes S-class with their last V8.

I am just surprized that you ranked the MS LR that low. Seems like u appreciate performance and 0-60 so much. For the record, I HAVE NEVER EVER FLOORED THE GAS PEDAL ON ANY OF MY CARS EVER EVERRRR… So I am not sure I will get any benefits out of the Plaid MS…. All I car about is a Nice Looking Car, Comfortable Ride, Technology and again most importantly like really really comfortable suspension and good seating position. I love auto-pilot too and I might invest in 100 USD per month for FSD….

If anyone has a 2022 (maybe 2021 refresh is fine too) MS either LR or Plaid, please contact me, and it must have the white or beige interior. I am ready to buy NOW.

The MS LR is a good car based on what you are looking for. It handles better than the Plaid when the Plaid isn't in track mode as it is a bit lighter. The track mode is why I moved the Plaid up so much. The M3P is just such a fun car to drive.

One good thing about all Teslas is how effortless the acceleration is. They are always in the "right" gear and just mash the accelerator and go. That part is true across all of them. Another thing I love about all of them is how useful the app is. I can cool or heat the car before I go out. I can check out the sentry mode and see if anyone is near the car. I can easily send my driving destinations to the car to navigate there directly. Those are some of the things about the ecosystem I love.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

Reactions: MB90266
The MS LR is a good car based on what you are looking for. It handles better than the Plaid when the Plaid isn't in track mode as it is a bit lighter. The track mode is why I moved the Plaid up so much. The M3P is just such a fun car to drive.

One good thing about all Teslas is how effortless the acceleration is. They are always in the "right" gear and just mash the accelerator and go. That part is true across all of them. Another thing I love about all of them is how useful the app is. I can cool or heat the car before I go out. I can check out the sentry mode and see if anyone is near the car. I can easily send my driving destinations to the car to navigate there directly. Those are some of the things about the ecosystem I love.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

I like all of that but the problem is that I can still do ALL of that using either of my current Mbenz or BMW... "s. I can cool or heat the car before I go out. I can check out the sentry mode and see if anyone is near the car. I can easily send my driving destinations to the car to navigate there directly." .... And of course since both of them have the V8 engine, honestly, in all cases I always feel they are on the right gear.

I never had a Tesla, but I am a car guy, and I am only going for a Tesla just to see what is it that I might be missing? On paper? Seems like there is no gain but rather A LOT to lose especially from someone who is switching from an S-class and BMW X7... It just makes no sense on paper but I hope owning a Tesla will prove all that wrong.. . As a car guy. am willing to take the risk...

As I said, it all comes down to expectations.

The beauty of EV vs ICE, is I don't have to have my car running to cool/heat the car. I can do it in my garage where it is cooler/warmer than outside. By pre-conditioning the car, I offload the energy use from the car's battery to shore power so to speak. I can tell as far as interacting with the car, my Tesla did it better than my last BMW or MB from about 2-3 years ago. Can't say if they've improved enough sense then for me to be impressed.

I've been a gearhead all my life. I've been driving for about 50 years and riding motorcycles for longer than that. About 2 years ago I went fully EV for cars but only about 10% adoption for my motorcycles. I'll always keep something that is ICE powered and a manual gearbox for when I miss it. Most likely it will be a motorcycle.

EVs are a bit soulless but I value the capabilities of instant TQ at idle, how quiet they are, and how well they manage traction control. I've been a serious adrenalin junkie all my life so the Plaid pushes a lot of the right buttons for me even if I don't have an incredible 6 or 12-cylinder soundtrack to go along with it. There are downsides for me but the pluses outweigh the minuses and I'm never going back to ICE for my daily driving. I spent so much money building a street car as quick as my Plaid and was always trying to upgrade what I thought would break next before it broke. I love that I can have something so quick yet so docile and easy to maintain. The icing on the top is I have a full bumper-to-bumper warranty and I'm not dropping 20k each time to service it.

I'd suggest a nice long test drive or rent one on Turo before you buy though.

Reactions: CDrury
Thanks @DayTrippin
You made it fairly easy for me to push the MY out of my list, but I always thought the X is another option that can be as good as the S.

I am interested in the S and have it at the top of my list for now, but I am not a fast driver and I think the MS LR will have just enough power than will even feel better than my current fairly new and modern Mercedes S-class with their last V8.

I am just surprized that you ranked the MS LR that low. Seems like u appreciate performance and 0-60 so much. For the record, I HAVE NEVER EVER FLOORED THE GAS PEDAL ON ANY OF MY CARS EVER EVERRRR… So I am not sure I will get any benefits out of the Plaid MS…. All I car about is a Nice Looking Car, Comfortable Ride, Technology and again most importantly like really really comfortable suspension and good seating position. I love auto-pilot too and I might invest in 100 USD per month for FSD….

As someone that has done a lot of seat time in a 2014 S550, I think you will be extremely disappointed with the Model S in every way, shape, and form after the newness of the Model S wears off. The S550 blows the Model S out of the water in every criteria you have mentioned, except for software. And just wait until you make your first visit to the Service Center. You will feel like you've been kidnapped and human trafficked. Seriously.

Yes, the Model S LR is more than enough performance for you. It is extremely fast compared to most everything else you will see on your daily route, so you will be more than satisfied. But it is not nippy. It's very similar to the S550 is feeling like a big heavy car.

BTW, FSD is $200 per month, but since you are looking at buying used, hold out for Model S that has FSD because that $15K only adds a few grand to the price in the open market.