Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS/MX style aftermarket rear chrome trim for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi first time posting. Searched for this, and didn't find anything. Has anyone on the forums purchased this yet?

Chrome Trunk Molding Appliqué for Tesla Model 3

It's a chrome trim piece that simulates the horizontal accent on the Model S and X. Normally, I wouldn't look to add any unnecessary chrome or flashiness, but I've always felt the Model 3 looks like it's missing something on its back end, and after seeing these photos and videos, I think this just looks more like a Tesla.

My concern is that this is going to look really cheap and obvious in real life. For example, instead of embossed TESLA lettering, this seems to have the lettering lasered in to simulate embossing. It actually looks like they did a relatively nice job with the simulation, but I have a feeling it might not look that convincing in person. Also worried that 5 years from now, the adhesive will fail, the trim will fall off, and I'll have a marred trunk lid from all the debris that managed to get behind the applique over the years.

Relatively inexpensive, so I may just order it and see for myself, but figured someone on here may have already bought one?

Reactions: Cowby and alseTrick
Seems like for the price, it should be "embossed" if not even illuminated, (like the MS aftermarket).
For a mass market car, I think there's going to be a lot of competition for aftermarket accessories, so I'm hoping this comes down in price.

Great points. Maybe I'll wait awhile and see what else comes to market. I've also been looking into wraps for the center console, and while this 3M wrap looks really good, the application process seems like it could be improved:

The installer even comments around 12:50, that they considered using a clear transfer tape, but then decided against it. However, it seems like the process of lining up the third piece with the cup holders leaves a little to be desired, and you can see that there are still some folds in the material and uneven edges around the cup holders, that would probably bother me (although the piano black finish may ultimately bother me more!).

Again, maybe I'll wait and see, as you're right, there will probably be competing products soon, and some will be better than others.

Funny, this trim piece has been on my mind. I think the model 3 needs this, but I am not sure ! I don't want to do it if it doesn't look good and high quality. I like this feature on the MS/MX. I look forward to seeing it installed!
Yah, I'm having the same dilemma. The photos and videos of it sure look nice, but hard to tell how OEM it will look in person. I'm also afraid it will make the Tesla logo look too low (unevenly spaced, vertically), since it will only be 4 mm above the trim piece.

Yah, I'm having the same dilemma. The photos and videos of it sure look nice, but hard to tell how OEM it will look in person. I'm also afraid it will make the Tesla logo look too low (unevenly spaced, vertically), since it will only be 4 mm above the trim piece.

Oh geez I never would have noticed that unless you said something. It’s already got more body color above it than below and the trim piece makes it even less evenly distributed top to bottom. Hmmm. Looks nice but the spacing could be an issue.

The installation (removal) instructions for the evannex scare me a little. Maybe no big deal, but the adhesive removal sounds like it is almost more "permanent" than comfortable. I don't know and in full disclosure, I don't have much experience adding or removing adhesives from automotive paint.

Here's another option that is similarly flexible :
RPM Tesla

cd0434_9fd7105cca1b42298ae9d318adc2652d~mv2_d_4032_3024_s_4_2.jpg

Anyone tried this one?

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
The installation (removal) instructions for the evannex scare me a little. Maybe no big deal, but the adhesive removal sounds like it is almost more "permanent" than comfortable. I don't know and in full disclosure, I don't have much experience adding or removing adhesives from automotive paint.

RPM Tesla

Anyone tried this one?

Interesting how this one uses the lower “lip” instead of the upper lip. Leaves more space between the strip and the T. Note sure I like the lettering that way though. Need to see a pic of the full rear from further back.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
Wow, I can't believe evannex recommended acetone as the solvent to clean up residual adhesive. While acetone certainly eats adhesive quickly, it can mar the clear coat too if left on too long. Way safer to use mineral spirits or paint thinner. Completely inert on paint/clear coats, but a very good solvent for adhesives and oils. It will also strip off any wax, so you'd just reapply. non-issue if you have a ceramic coating applied.

Paint thinner may sound scary, but it's only effective on wet paint (cleaning brushes with oil-based paint on it). Once cured, like your clear coat, it has no reaction with it.

Seems like for the price, it should be "embossed" if not even illuminated, (like the MS aftermarket).
For a mass market car, I think there's going to be a lot of competition for aftermarket accessories, so I'm hoping this comes down in price.
Bear in mind this is not a rigid piece of chrome-plated ABS plastic, it's flexible trim, which keeps the costs down, but also means no emboss option.

RPM Tesla

Anyone tried this one?
Glad to see that more options are popping up.

This looks pretty good in the photos, but being a flat wrap, it seems like it would be more obvious, than the Evannex approach, which they market as: "Our product is a flexible automotive trim piece (not a flat wrap) and provides an OEM look that is virtually indistinguishable from other chrome accents on the vehicle"

I'm also not sure how I like it on the down sloping lower lip... hard to tell in the limited photos, what this would look like from standing eye level. The distance from the logo is nice, but I also noticed, driving home, that some cars, like the 2013 Honda Civic, have a trim piece running really close to their H logo, and off set compared with the top of the rear trunk. The reason seems to be that the logo looks centered between the trim and the start of where the trunk flares back to form the spoiler lip. That may be the case with the Model 3, too, making the Evannex spacing not too bad?

2013-honda-civic-si-fully-detailed-pricing-increased-photo-gallery_16.jpg

I like the concept of a chrome trim strip along the lower trunk lid. To me its tasteful. Personally I would only use one that was plain not embossed and solid metal, either chromed steel or brushed stainless steel. Not Interested in the resin covered chromed plastic one or TESLA lettering anywhere on the car. Like the ‘T’ all by itself.

It looks pretty good, too. I got the center console wrap from RPM Tesla, but don’t like how it incompletely covers the edges. I like how the Evannex version has the tabs that fold over. Also kind of wish I got carbon fiber instead of brushed titanium...

But back on topic, I guess not many people must be buying these trunk lid appliqués. Was hoping to get some real world opinions.