Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS/MX style aftermarket rear chrome trim for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dental floss didn't work for me, not sure why, but in the end some fishing line was far more successful. We've uploaded the videos showing the removal of the "T", and the addition of the performance emblem. Both are really easy, but the removal just takes a little time and patience.

Wow, this really looks great. Very tempted. Only worry is that you guarantee it for only 2 years. Is this because the letters are not metal, and will eventually crack/fade from UV exposure, or is the adhesive more likely the point of failure? In 2 years, will I be driving a T S A? :p

For $24.99, I don’t expect it to last forever, but when the time comes to replace the lettering, will the adhesive come off clean, like the adhesive from the T logo? Thanks!

Wow, this really looks great. Very tempted. Only worry is that you guarantee it for only 2 years. Is this because the letters are not metal, and will eventually crack/fade from UV exposure, or is the adhesive more likely the point of failure? In 2 years, will I be driving a T S A? :p

For $24.99, I don’t expect it to last forever, but when the time comes to replace the lettering, will the adhesive come off clean, like the adhesive from the T logo? Thanks!
And there I was thinking that 2 years was quite generous :) The duration of the warranty isn't based on the expected life of the decal, any more so than a 1 year warranty on a TV that should last 5 or 10 years. I just have to draw a line somewhere to keep the book-keeping relatively simple. In terms of the adhesive, they all use the same 3M product, so there's no chance of it falling off, and the removal would be the same process.

Reactions: nvx1977 and fseir
And there I was thinking that 2 years was quite generous :) The duration of the warranty isn't based on the expected life of the decal, any more so than a 1 year warranty on a TV that should last 5 or 10 years. I just have to draw a line somewhere to keep the book-keeping relatively simple. In terms of the adhesive, they all use the same 3M product, so there's no chance of it falling off, and the removal would be the same process.
Lol, ok, fair enough. Two years is quite generous, considering the cost! Just wanted some reassurance that the life expectancy wasn’t going to be 2 years and 1 day :p

The dental floss didn't work for me, not sure why, but in the end some fishing line was far more successful. We've uploaded the videos showing the removal of the "T", and the addition of the performance emblem. Both are really easy, but the removal just takes a little time and patience.

If one would put the letters slightly lower, could the "T" emblem still fit? I like the letters, but bit plain just by itself. Would like to have both. Possibly reinstall the "T" slightly higher after the letters are installed?

If one would put the letters slightly lower, could the "T" emblem still fit? I like the letters, but bit plain just by itself. Would like to have both. Possibly reinstall the "T" slightly higher after the letters are installed?
I don't know why I didn't take a photo of both on there, but apparently I didn't. To me it looked too crowded with the T in the original position, but I'll try later and see how it looks further up. there's a curve on the truck of course, so might be limited in terms positioning.

I don't know why I didn't take a photo of both on there, but apparently I didn't. To me it looked too crowded with the T in the original position, but I'll try later and see how it looks further up. there's a curve on the truck of course, so might be limited in terms positioning.
Thanks for the info. If get chance to experiment more with placement, I would appreciate it. Is the T curved as well?

Here's a couple of pics. Although the curve is relatively slight on the "T", it will pretty much only fit in it's original position on the trunk. You might be able to move it up slightly, but anything more would require bending...not impossible, but not easy to get a nice, fluid bend.

IMG_0955.jpg IMG_0956.jpg IMG_0952.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
Here's a couple of pics. Although the curve is relatively slight on the "T", it will pretty much only fit in it's original position on the trunk. You might be able to move it up slightly, but anything more would require bending...not impossible, but not easy to get a nice, fluid bend.

View attachment 298166 View attachment 298167 View attachment 298168
Thanks! I agree, does seem a bit too crowded. I think the letters could be moved down slightly and still look okay, but still wouldn't leave much room between the T and letter.

Agree, the T just overwhelms the letters, and looks unbalanced. Much more elegant with just the lettering, IMO.

View attachment 298166 View attachment 298167 View attachment 298168
I know in the installation video, you say to follow the curvature of the trunk lid, but Franz’s lettering seems to be perfectly straight. Just curious, did you test this with your kit, and find it to look off?

04BDBCF4-9307-4C5C-849F-DABDCCC5BD30.png

Hi first time posting. Searched for this, and didn't find anything. Has anyone on the forums purchased this yet?

Chrome Trunk Molding Appliqué for Tesla Model 3

It's a chrome trim piece that simulates the horizontal accent on the Model S and X. Normally, I wouldn't look to add any unnecessary chrome or flashiness, but I've always felt the Model 3 looks like it's missing something on its back end, and after seeing these photos and videos, I think this just looks more like a Tesla.

My concern is that this is going to look really cheap and obvious in real life. For example, instead of embossed TESLA lettering, this seems to have the lettering lasered in to simulate embossing. It actually looks like they did a relatively nice job with the simulation, but I have a feeling it might not look that convincing in person. Also worried that 5 years from now, the adhesive will fail, the trim will fall off, and I'll have a marred trunk lid from all the debris that managed to get behind the applique over the years.

Relatively inexpensive, so I may just order it and see for myself, but figured someone on here may have already bought one?

Funny how we all have different tastes. Ever since I first saw the model S, I always thought "Why did they clutter up such an elegant design with superfluous chrome accents!?". The very first thing I noticed about the three (after the duck-bill) was the cleaner, chrome-free lines on the nose and tail. Much better, IMHO. YMMV!

Cheers!

I know in the installation video, you say to follow the curvature of the trunk lid, but Franz’s lettering seems to be perfectly straight. Just curious, did you test this with your kit, and find it to look off?
I'm not convinced they're not the same, just from different angles. In terms of installation, it's certainly easier to follow the slight arc, but equally if someone wanted to run a straight line across that's easy enough too. I preferred the slight curve, to my untrained eye it looked more integrated/part of the car.

Obviously the desire to have a chrome applique in the rear is subjective. Speaking of chrome applique, let's get this thread back on track!
@SMAlset posted this real-world photo of the Evannex version on another thread:

B3ACD7DE-B3DC-4666-8E3B-CE8C456C3FB8.jpeg

Seeing this reinforces the opinion that the T logo is just too close to the appliqué. Also, not sure I like the juxtaposition of the shiny logo chrome, with the more satiny finish of the appliqué (although this could be related to difference in angles and reflections). Anyway, very helpful to see this from a different height and perspective.

Looking forward to getting my lettering from AO. Unfortunately, the ship date has slid a little to the right, now “no later than May 15th.”

@SMAlset posted this real-world photo of the Evannex version on another thread:

Seeing this reinforces the opinion that the T logo is just too close to the appliqué. Also, not sure I like the juxtaposition of the shiny logo chrome, with the more satiny finish of the appliqué (although this could be related to difference in angles and reflections). Anyway, very helpful to see this from a different height and perspective.

Looking forward to getting my lettering from AO. Unfortunately, the ship date has slid a little to the right, now “no later than May 15th.”
Yes....sorry about that, logistics and public holidays (not in the US, but just about everywhere else!) delayed things by a few days. The Chrome version will be shipping early next week (hopefully the 15th, but maybe the 16th), the matte black version is a week or so behind that. We'll be including a little bonus to make up for the delay :)

Yes....sorry about that, logistics and public holidays (not in the US, but just about everywhere else!) delayed things by a few days. The Chrome version will be shipping early next week (hopefully the 15th, but maybe the 16th), the matte black version is a week or so behind that. We'll be including a little bonus to make up for the delay :)
Free supercharging? :p

Lol, j/k, you guys are awesome!

The chrome trim looks OK. I’m sure it is well made. I would prefer a solid chrome metal or aluminum piece for there without any lettering. My concern would be how well the gel coat over the foil would age especially outdoors with sun exposure.

I just ordered the brushed black for the center console from Pete at Abstract Ocean. I also just returned the RPM one as IMO the cup holder cutout was badly cut. I prefer the grain running lengthwise N/S on AO’s (not shown in the prototype install video) rather than across E/W. I also like AO’s transfer tape on the cup holder piece shown in the install video below. Just my preference.

Just received AO’s new 9H glass screen protector. I’m in Canada and got it 7 days after ordering! GREAT communication and fast shipping!

Model 3 Center Console Vinyl Wraps

Install video:

Sandy

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby