Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS P85D wheel spacers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone needs a set of 10mm Type 2 spacers, LMK. I had Lenny make up a set of 7mm as well as 10mm. I just put the smaller set on the rears and the center caps install no problem now. I can use the other set on the front, but that would require replacing the studs for longer ones in order to have enough length for the nuts to safely attach to. Not worth the hassle.

Attachments

• A4024951-E81B-4B05-A93E-82A5C3B623F9.jpeg
    A4024951-E81B-4B05-A93E-82A5C3B623F9.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 217
I managed to get my spacers installed this weekend. Visually, they really give the car an aggressive stance. Two thumbs up there.

I was disappointed in the friction fit of the hubcentric spacer on the Tesla hub. There is an obvious wiggle in the fit. It is not tight against the hub. That alone isn't a significant issue, but the lug nuts they provide with the spacer are very lightweight and seem to be made of a soft metal. The weight of the car is riding on the lug nuts, since the hub doesn't fit tight.

Mental or not, there is a very noticeable vibration at about 90-100 mph. It reduces at 80 mph and is almost unperceivable at 70 mph.

An "expected" side effect of the extra width is more adamant tramlining. My Z06 does this as badly as any car I've driven. Now my Tesla does it to a lesser degree.

I may be returning these and finding a tighter fitting spacer. Or just buying offset wheels (which I'd prefer not to do). I might do some research on the Tesla hub and determining the feasibility of replacing the pressed in studs and running longer bolts. That way I can get some spacers without "double bolting".

By the way, I noticed my torque wrench only goes to 100 ft/lbs. So I maxed that and used a lug wrench to tighter "a little more".

@Dameon just how much wiggle are we talking about? You should measure the spacers and see how close to 64.1mm they are. Measure the actual hub as well just to see. While hub centric isn’t supposed to be an air-tight fit, you should def not feel as if the wheel is in any way off center and one or more studs are under more pressure compared to the others.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I'm trying to come with a method to determine level of shake. I considered attaching a long, thin, rigid object to the top of the steering wheel pointing upwards. Maybe a piece of dry spaghetti. Video different speeds on the same stretch of road with and without the spacers. Won't measure it, but it will amplify it.

I have a digital micrometer, but I doubt it is accurate enough to measure at these levels. I can measure the hub and the spacer though. It may not give me accurate sizes, but it will give me an accurate differential.

I'll purchase a larger torque wrench.

As far as hubcentric being an "air tight" fit, it should be darn close to that. My Escalade and Z06 require a swift kick to the tires to break from the hub. The Tesla just falls off as I pull the lug nuts. The hub should be slightly (almost unperceivable with your naked eye) stepped diameter, as is the wheel.

• Informative
I think I may been one of the original owners who stared the whole spacer thing with Motorsport Tech. I do remember that when I first installed them about 3 years back the fit on the fronts was a bit difficult, largely to accumulated gunk on the hubs. Once we cleaned all of that off they fit perfectly. I’ve never had any problems since, and they’ve been on and off a dozen times with both 20” and 21” wheels.

• Informative
What brand spacers did you get?
Motorsport Tech.

I’ve had mine over a year and zero issues, perfect fit and zero vibration.
Maybe MT changed the CAD files for their CNC for some reason. Maybe Telsa tightened their specs on consistent hub diameter. I'll make a video of the fit this weekend. I'm going to remove them until I get a better feeling about them.

However they sent me the same weak metal lug nuts. I'm asking them to send me steel ones.
If you haven't called already, I wouldn't bother.

I spoke to Lenny today and he said the source for the short collar nuts only has this metal available. Lenny stated, in no uncertain terms, that they've never had problems with these metal nuts. He kindly offered to send me a couple replacement nuts for the ones that rounded a bit when tightening. I hope I can get them off.

Thanks everyone for the great detail on this topic. I have a 2018 S 75D, and I really want the wheels flush with the wells. A couple of things came to mind after talking to Tesla and a couple of body guys i know:

• I'm going to be getting 21's (from Tesla, turbines likely) which will be my summer wheels, and keep the stock 19's for winter/all weather stuff. This begs two questions:
- If I want to remove the spacers when winter comes, is that easy for me to do when I swap out my wheels?
- If I want to leave the spacers on for the winter, are they compatible with both Tesla wheel sizes?

Then, the obvious general question about putting spacers on:
- Will this affect the programming/software performance behind all of the dynamic traction control, tire pressure sensors, adjustable suspension, performance/traction control, torque vectoring, etc etc?

In other words, is it "safe" to do... and does the car need to be re-calibrated after the install?

Thank you to whomever mentioned to contact Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings, and much more! | Motorsport Tech. I will definitely give them a call!

1. Yes, they are easy to install and remove.
2. Yes, you can leave them on when swapping in the 19s. Stock offsets for both the 19s and well as the 21” turbines is 40mm so leaving the spacers on isn’t an issue. Depends if you like the look of pushed-out 19s.
3. Spacers don’t affect the s/w in any way so no worries about calibration, etc.

What size spacer are you going with?

1. Yes, they are easy to install and remove.
2. Yes, you can leave them on when swapping in the 19s. Stock offsets for both the 19s and well as the 21” turbines is 40mm so leaving the spacers on isn’t an issue. Depends if you like the look of pushed-out 19s.
3. Spacers don’t affect the s/w in any way so no worries about calibration, etc.

What size spacer are you going with?

Thank you so much Doanster! I really appreciate the feedback. I spoke to Lenny and ordered 20mm front/25mm rear. Although I think that I chose wisely... I would love to hear your feedback on these size choices, as they are able to be exchanged.

I definitely do want the look of the pushed-out 19's, and intend to install them once they arrive in a couple weeks. I won't be getting the 21's until next spring, so this will be the look until then.

If the stock offset is 40mm, does that mean there is already a factory spacer between the hub and wheel?

Thank you so much Doanster! I really appreciate the feedback. I spoke to Lenny and ordered 20mm front/25mm rear. Although I think that I chose wisely... I would love to hear your feedback on these size choices, as they are able to be exchanged.

I definitely do want the look of the pushed-out 19's, and intend to install them once they arrive in a couple weeks. I won't be getting the 21's until next spring, so this will be the look until then.

If the stock offset is 40mm, does that mean there is already a factory spacer between the hub and wheel?
Did you order the Design 3 spacers or the flat ones? That dictates whether you’ll need diff lug nuts or not. 20/25mm should be fine. The 19s in the back may look a bit much pushed out that far, but when you get the Turbines, it’ll look great.

Stock offset means the wheels are manufactured with 40mm of offset. No factory wheel setups ever have spacers installed.

Here’s the go-to site/tool to familiarize yourself with wheel specs/offset info.
Wheel Offset Calculator | 1010Tires.com Discount Online Tire and Wheel Store