Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Plaid vs Taycan vs EQS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want super plush or something really good in a specific area, get a Mercedes/Porsche.

If you want the best “overall” EV ownership experience, get a Tesla.

EPA range is calculated differently between Tesla and most others as seen here.

Reactions: David29
If I wake up and want a certain car, I usually find and buy it within a couple days max. Perhaps that's just me...
Nope, I have similar views. I may brows around here and there but for the most part, the research is done. Now, I did buy a Ford Fiesta ST sight unseen just by looking at a magazine article. It ended up being a very fun to drive car. Traded it off for our first MS.

Ask a motorcyclist what will be their next bike and he or she will already have a top ten list narrowed down ready to go.

• I do care about range, and I assume they are all just fine in that aspect (I think though EQS range is much more).
After driving a MS for over 7 years, I can say that range estimates are overrated from my experience. Seven years ago I was concerned about range knowing I'd be making frequent trips OH-FL. As a consequence we bought a dual motor (billed as more efficient than RWD) and a 90Kwh battery instead of a 75. Superchargers were not as ubiquitous at that time and I had to charge to 100% just once. Now chargers are everywhere and before my first trip learned to drive down to about 10% battery then charge back to about 50%, the quickest way. Even if I had the latest, greatest range model (MSLR) I wouldn't change the way I drive /charge but that's just me; I only care to sit so long and that equates to about 2-2.5 hours max. I doubt you will ever have the need of all 405 miles of range or whatever is stated for any of these models. But as a new EV owner, if it makes a difference , then MSLR v Plaid makes sense to me.

Everything else you have said (and most comments from others) seem to favor the Tesla. I doubt that you would be disapointed. JMHO.

Who I am? As you all know, first time EV potential buyer, very interested in the Tesla MS and ready to buy an EV any-time in the next 1-2 weeks.

Boundary conditions for my question:
  • All preowned
  • Model years 2021-2022 for MS Plaid vs Taycan vs EQS 580
  • Let's assume that I have no emotional attachment to any of these brands
  • Buyer (me) coming from Mercedes and BMW vehicles, never owned an EV.
  • Ignore the charging infrastructure advantage (Mbenz will get access to Tesla next year, not sure about Porsche)
  • Buyer (me) does not care much about a 1-2 seconds difference in a 0-60 race. I value vehicle experience, ownership, comfort, and the cosmetic factor + UI.
  • I do care about range, and I assume they are all just fine in that aspect (I think though EQS range is much more).
Question: Can you all give me your thoughts about these three options (MS Plaid vs Taycan vs EQS 580), pluses and minuses of each, which one would you choose if you were me. Please do not be biased to any brad.

Quick research led me to eliminate the Taycan immediately due to the poor range, so it is mostly EQS 580 vs Plaid

Otherwise, there is a chance that I might just keep enjoying my current S-class with V8 : )

Having owned all three of them (EQS 580, Taycan Turbo, S LR/Plaid) i would say this:

- ALL other brands, EXCEPT Tesla "feel" and "operate" just like a regular car but with battery inside.
Forgive me this beaten analogy but think of this comparison as the first iPhone and ALL other phones. The OS is one thing, sure, but Tesla's design approach with virtually NO BUTTONS is akin to Apple's principle when they've released the first iPhone e.g. you can change the OS whatever you want, add new functions etc. while all others can't do that since they have LOTS of predetermined buttons e.g. blackberry physical keyboard (Porsche i am looking at you).
Also, another analogy is what first iPhone could do vs all others on a DIFFERENT interaction level EXCEPT just calling/messaging, that is: browsing, watching youtube, pinch/zoom gallery pictures, music etc. Same applies to Tesla vs all others.
- if you get the previous point then be ready that ANY car EXCEPT Tesla will "stay the same" in for the period of a lifetime which is first, and foremost, is BORING
- if all i pointed above doesn't matter for you at all than all is left is pure "car" specs: ride quality, dynamics, overall premium feel

EQS is most comfortable but i didn't like the view from driver's seat, too cramped and unintuitive. Dynamics are ok
Taycan is much more sportier but still has that "cramped" feel, but it handles the best of three
S Plaid/LR have that airy/minimalistic look which is either love or hate, the car handling is the middle ground between eqs and taycan. Plaid accel is just insane and is pure joy every time you step on the accel but ONLY on straight line! In turns too much torque will spin the wheels and you won't get that buttery smooth feeling anymore. Long Range version doesn't have this problem.

All in all i would highly suggest looking for yourself, but i would strongly suggest to look towards S LR as it is the most reasonable choice

Unfortunately, I've been looking for 3-4 weeks now. There is not a single MS LR that is fairly priced. Only the Plaid are fairly prices (or at least based on what I found).

I would rather get a Plaid for a good deal, than paying more than market value for MS LR.... If you look at autotrader, most sellers are just testing the water out having their cars staying for 3-5 months posted when they are asking high 70s for the MS LR refresh, wherein they are only selling for low to mid 60s. Hence, I would rather get a plaid at a fair price but just paying a little more than what MS LR people are asking. if you know a serious MS LR seller, let me know.
How about this one? Log into Facebook

Having owned all three of them (EQS 580, Taycan Turbo, S LR/Plaid) i would say this:

- ALL other brands, EXCEPT Tesla "feel" and "operate" just like a regular car but with battery inside.
Forgive me this beaten analogy but think of this comparison as the first iPhone and ALL other phones. The OS is one thing, sure, but Tesla's design approach with virtually NO BUTTONS is akin to Apple's principle when they've released the first iPhone e.g. you can change the OS whatever you want, add new functions etc. while all others can't do that since they have LOTS of predetermined buttons e.g. blackberry physical keyboard (Porsche i am looking at you).
Also, another analogy is what first iPhone could do vs all others on a DIFFERENT interaction level EXCEPT just calling/messaging, that is: browsing, watching youtube, pinch/zoom gallery pictures, music etc. Same applies to Tesla vs all others.
- if you get the previous point then be ready that ANY car EXCEPT Tesla will "stay the same" in for the period of a lifetime which is first, and foremost, is BORING
- if all i pointed above doesn't matter for you at all than all is left is pure "car" specs: ride quality, dynamics, overall premium feel

EQS is most comfortable but i didn't like the view from driver's seat, too cramped and unintuitive. Dynamics are ok
Taycan is much more sportier but still has that "cramped" feel, but it handles the best of three
S Plaid/LR have that airy/minimalistic look which is either love or hate, the car handling is the middle ground between eqs and taycan. Plaid accel is just insane and is pure joy every time you step on the accel but ONLY on straight line! In turns too much torque will spin the wheels and you won't get that buttery smooth feeling anymore. Long Range version doesn't have this problem.

All in all i would highly suggest looking for yourself, but i would strongly suggest to look towards S LR as it is the most reasonable choice

How does the Plaid handle different from the MS LR? I get the hp and torque stuff, but at normal speed and in-town or highway driving, do they feel any different and/or are they equipped with any other more premium equipment or suspensions that makes the Plaid dynamically feel better than MS LR?

How does the Plaid handle different from the MS LR? I get the hp and torque stuff, but at normal speed and in-town or highway driving, do they feel any different and/or are they equipped with any other more premium equipment or suspensions that makes the Plaid dynamically feel better than MS LR?
Plaid has torque vectoring, but it's the same car, battery, suspension, basically everything. IMO the interior is worse in the Plaid as you get a cheap looking carbon fiber instead of wood trim. You may find a '21 Plaid with wood interior.

So for the extra money you get more speed, but that additional speed reduces range (if kept in Plaid mode) a spoiler, some piping on the seats, and torque vectoring.

Plaid has torque vectoring, but it's the same car, battery, suspension, basically everything. IMO the interior is worse in the Plaid as you get a cheap looking carbon fiber instead of wood trim. You may find a '21 Plaid with wood interior.

So for the extra money you get more speed, but that additional speed reduces range (if kept in Plaid mode) a spoiler, some piping on the seats, and torque vectoring.
If it’s the same exact battery, and same exact equipment, say I get it out of the plaid mode during a trip, is it fair to say that it will get then the same exact mileage as the MS LR under normal or non-plaid drive mode?

I think thought there are differences in the heat pump as well as battery cooling and stuff like that. Otherwise if it’s only a software thing to unlock the battery power to higher values, then this is a scam by Tesla when asking for that much extra money.

If it’s the same exact battery, and same exact equipment, say I get it out of the plaid mode during a trip, is it fair to say that it will get then the same exact mileage as the MS LR under normal or non-plaid drive mode?
Just from a Google search, it doesn't appear so, but logically it seems it should. Maybe the additional motor?

Also, insurance is higher on a Plaid than a LR.

Just from a Google search, it doesn't appear so, but logically it seems it should. Maybe the additional motor?

Also, insurance is higher on a Plaid than a LR.

My preference is to get the MS LR… but most of the MS LR are over-priced….. for just another 15K than the average over-priced MS LR on the market, I can get a Plaid with FSD…. I would rather pay the additional 15K and get Plaid with FSD, than a standard MS LR…. Better value for the money and better also return when I sell the car. Seems like there is a lot of MS LR owners just posting their cars out there waiting for a fish. Not a single car has sold unless the asking price drops to mid 60s …. This is a trend I noticed on facebook too with M3 and MY… people are posting their M3 or MY for the same exact price that they are being sold new by Tesla now with the 7500 tax credit… Like what are they looking for!!!??? Sell their M3 and MY for 42K and then get a brand new one for 40K with tax credits? Just makes no sense…. And iwth all due respect, this is only happening with Tesla.. just a bunch of sellers testing the water out shooting for the moon with non of the cars selling and just causing a false idea for serious buyers about a false inflation of the vehicle prices. Only the Plaid owners are asking for reasonable money.

My preference is to get the MS LR… but most of the MS LR are over-priced….. for just another 15K than the average over-priced MS LR on the market, I can get a Plaid with FSD…. I would rather pay the additional 15K and get Plaid with FSD, than a standard MS LR…. Better value for the money and better also return when I sell the car. Seems like there is a lot of MS LR owners just posting their cars out there waiting for a fish. Not a single car has sold unless the asking price drops to mid 60s …. This is a trend I noticed on facebook too with M3 and MY… people are posting their M3 or MY for the same exact price that they are being sold new by Tesla now with the 7500 tax credit… Like what are they looking for!!!??? Sell their M3 and MY for 42K and then get a brand new one for 40K with tax credits? Just makes no sense…. And iwth all due respect, this is only happening with Tesla.. just a bunch of sellers testing the water out shooting for the moon with non of the cars selling and just causing a false idea for serious buyers about a false inflation of the vehicle prices. Only the Plaid owners are asking for reasonable money.
That's because they are probably upside down. The MY was almost 70k a year ago. The MSLR was 110 and the Plaid was 130.

Just came back from a 6000 miles road trip from Montreal to Texas in my Tesla. The charging infrastructure of the supercharger is in my mind worth at least 50k. If you plan on making long drives go with the Tesla.

I’ve read reviews the software of the EQS is lagging and not as prompt as Tesla. If waiting between each click on your screen is not a problem then EQS is probably the most comfortable and luxurious.

I love the Taycan, my colleague has one and the driving dynamics is really incredible however not as good for long range driving.

Tesla seems to be the Goldilocks choice at this moment.

Mercedes is typical Mercedes. Plush, solid, great build, very solid. Lots of range. Downside is that you need to work through their overpriced dealerships for purchase and service.

Taycan. Most sporty. People want to drive a Porsche. Bit overpriced, especially if you order options. Great build, fit and finish. Downsides is that it is cramped, Porsche dealerships will bend you over, and their charging network is a mess.

Tesla has issues with build quality of the body panels. Super efficient, with lots of range, worlds best Supercharger experience. Fantastic performance, Good value for money, Easiest on line buying system, No dealerships to rip you off. They are the best selling vehicles in the world for a reason.

Buyers will soon realize that having great charging options is far more important than great range on long distance trips. Right now, having access to the great SuperCharging network is super convenient, fast and removes most all of the range anxiety with road tripping a Mercedes or Porsche.

Seems that OP might have more value in finding "The Best Deal" than the attributes of the vehicle he chooses. If this is the case, than his Treasure Hunt might be more important to him than the actual ownership experience. The value experience seems to be changing almost daily, with lots of price reductions and scattered used car offerings. Everyone seems to be looking for a great car at a great price.

Reactions: Propofoln and AMPd
Yes, I've been keeping my eyes on this one. I've seen most and every MS LR on CarsAndBids going for low 60s, and I think this is where their current market is. If this one had the white interior, I would have submitted a bid on it. I will wait for the next one. Seems like CarsAndBids are pushing one MS after another.
I have one with black interior and a buddy of mine has white. Sounds strange but my black seats are more comfortable. I do like the look of the white though.

you won’t feel the difference in-town
plaid on highway has insane acceleration but lr is no slouch either

best is to drive both cars if you have that option

i repeat, LR is a MUCH more reasonable choice and overall more balanced car

p.s. i am driving plaid, btw

Last edited:
you won’t feel the difference in-town
plaid on highway has insane acceleration but lr is no slouch either

best is to drive both cars if you have that option

i repeat, LR is a MUCH more reasonable choice and overall more balanced car

p.s. i am driving plaid, btw
I have not driven the Plaid but I am a notorious lead foot and have been my whole life. I drive my LR with plenty of accel and I can tell you that I simply cannot use all the power in the DC area. A few squirts here and there and I am well above 80 in a second or two (rolling). I just cannot see using the Plaid in the environment I live in (suburbs). Just not enough room to stretch the legs. Real world range on mine has been as high as 390 in totally perfect conditions and as low as 240 in *sugar* conditions. Just FYI. 19" wheels.