Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS with coils: Another thread in search of a solution...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. Before I get started I thought I'd state that I've worn out the search feature looking for solutions to improve the standard coil suspension. Perhaps there still are none... I thought I found a compromise when I called Tsportline this afternoon to order a set of their lowering springs only to learn that they're sold out and will not be made available again due to a lack of demand. I'm not all that interested in cutting down my stock coils. My other car is a 2016 535i M-sport and if I could find a solution to provide a similar ride/handling compromise I'd be a very happy man. Does anyone have a line on any option for improving the coil suspension without resorting to just cutting the stock coils down for lowering. I'd like to improve ride and handling (like the 535i) and I fear just cutting down the coils will give me the look I want but sacrifice the ride on Socal's concrete freeways. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated!

i believe you can swap in air suspension but it requires a fair bit of work and getting in touch with some of the folks who can root and provide aftermarket support. that will quietly void your warranty most likely.

Do the big names like Tien, etc; not support tesla yet? I haven't looked...

i believe you can swap in air suspension but it requires a fair bit of work and getting in touch with some of the folks who can root and provide aftermarket support. that will quietly void your warranty most likely.

Do the big names like Tien, etc; not support tesla yet? I haven't looked...
I’ve checked with Bilstein, Eibach, H&R, Koni, KW, Ohlins, Tein...you name it, and can’t find anyone making coilovers for Tesla. Frustrating.

Hi everyone. Before I get started I thought I'd state that I've worn out the search feature looking for solutions to improve the standard coil suspension. Perhaps there still are none... I thought I found a compromise when I called Tsportline this afternoon to order a set of their lowering springs only to learn that they're sold out and will not be made available again due to a lack of demand. I'm not all that interested in cutting down my stock coils. My other car is a 2016 535i M-sport and if I could find a solution to provide a similar ride/handling compromise I'd be a very happy man. Does anyone have a line on any option for improving the coil suspension without resorting to just cutting the stock coils down for lowering. I'd like to improve ride and handling (like the 535i) and I fear just cutting down the coils will give me the look I want but sacrifice the ride on Socal's concrete freeways. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated!
Sell it and buy one with air. If you can stomach the hit on the trade. AFAIK nobody ever had made an aftermarket solution. I started a thread about this last year - then I just gave in and bought an air suspension S with the new premium seats. Made a noticeable comfort diff and now the car is almost perfect for my taste

Having said that - nobody equals BMW suspension magic - there is no equal. Never has been.

I would look for different tyres instead of lowering the coils. The MS has a very low center of gravity already and lowering it won’t change handling that much. The 21 inch rims will improve, but you would want the tyre not to move sideways over the rims too much, so maybe a different tyre will do that.

I have coils, and didn’t take the air suspention because it is not that smart as it suggests. There is no dynamic control of the damping in cornering, basically just hight for ground clearance.

Reactions: gabeincal
Sell it and buy one with air. If you can stomach the hit on the trade. AFAIK nobody ever had made an aftermarket solution. I started a thread about this last year - then I just gave in and bought an air suspension S with the new premium seats. Made a noticeable comfort diff and now the car is almost perfect for my taste

Having said that - nobody equals BMW suspension magic - there is no equal. Never has been.
I've seriously considered selling and replacing it with a car with SAS. While my P85 was in for service last week I was given a 75D loaner with SAS and found the handling a bit disconnected but the loaner was vastly more comfortable cruising down the freeway. I guess that was probably a combination of the smart air and the much improved current generation seats. Except in the case of the BMW suspension, there's usually compromise but the Tesla coil setup just seems so unrefined. I'm on the fence as to whether I prefer the more direct feel of the coils or the more comfortable but more numb feeling of Air. Just so hard to believe there are no aftermarket options without enduring the expense of going full one-off custom. At this point I'd be much happier if I could just drop it 1" with lowering springs but now that Tsportline discontinued their lowering springs I can't even do that. Argh.

you cannot expect such a large car as a tesla model s to offer the same ride as a smaller, sportier BMW 5 series. this is an exercise in futility

Reactions: RScottyL

I was just going to pull the trigger on some aftermarket coils for the same reason. Are you telling me that there are no solutions out there? :(

I was just going to pull the trigger on some aftermarket coils for the same reason. Are you telling me that there are no solutions out there? :(
None that I've found so far. I'm going to call Tsportline again today. Maybe there's a magic number in a group buy scenario where they would place another order for the lowering coils. Or, maybe they'll share their supplier with me so we could attempt to go direct if they're not interested in another order.

None that I've found so far. I'm going to call Tsportline again today. Maybe there's a magic number in a group buy scenario where they would place another order for the lowering coils. Or, maybe they'll share their supplier with me so we could attempt to go direct if they're not interested in another order.

OK, let us know. I’m in if there is a group buy discount! I’m not keen on cutting them...

If this helps... I got used to the feeling of the coil suspension on my 75D. I know it can be kind of rough at low speeds, but at higher speeds it really feels solid so I took that compromise.

The air suspension on the Model X and Model S loaners Tesla have given me have all felt too floaty. Sometimes we need to just find content with what we have.

Reactions: Duke-U
I would look for different tyres instead of lowering the coils. The MS has a very low center of gravity already and lowering it won’t change handling that much. The 21 inch rims will improve, but you would want the tyre not to move sideways over the rims too much, so maybe a different tyre will do that.

I have coils, and didn’t take the air suspention because it is not that smart as it suggests. There is no dynamic control of the damping in cornering, basically just hight for ground clearance.
thats the reason we stuck with coils as well...if it was a more advanced air system we would have jumped on it.

thats the reason we stuck with coils as well...if it was a more advanced air system we would have jumped on it.

Same here. The air suspension did not convince me in any way, unless I needed dynamic ground clearance adjustment.. There was an article from a guy before who dropped his S by about 2 inches and he was gradual about it. Not sure where I saw this, I think it was a black MS in Los Angeles and he was playing with wheels on it also.

Found it!

Lowered standard Suspension Model S review

TSportline springs.......

nice link...he seems happy. To me its awfully low stock(coils) and handles excellent-not that us drivers race around corners and such but in general its smooth and yet sporty

My yardstick is a 328i E93 BMW. It had the sport suspension and it was an absolute joy to drive it on twisty roads. Also, didn't make my wife sick at all. Our MS75 is okay on twisty roads considering its size and weight, but it does make wifey sick every time. I think it's a little more body roll than I'd like to have. It could also drop an inch in height.