Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-camera / Quad-camera solution for Model S / X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi BearBu, OUCH !!, that hurts my hand and my foot to drill a hole that big even in the mirror.

I like your idea of designing a decode board so you can use the existing camera. I encourage you to do a poll and see who would like the OEM camera versus add-on/drilled. Even if it requires a wait - more. :)

Fan of your work. Please keep doing.

And back to your most recent post "the LVDS out from our Quad camera board is actually connected to the LVDS out (black plug) on the APE". To out's connect to each other? Hmmm, is that bi-polar, b-sexual, or bi-outtie. Never heard of two outs going in.

I saw these holes and cameras installed on Artsci Model S you can hardly notice them they look a lot bigger in the pictures than in person they are unnoticeable

Last edited:
Your 360 system plugs into the HDMI going to the center screen why not just make 4 camera switcher with cameras that plug into same HDMI interface would that be simpler.
Sell the switcher and four cameras as an option just like your 360 system

The reason why the quad-split board output as LVDS is to make the product to be stand-alone. There are some people doesn't need / want the HDMI Interface Box.

The output of the LVDS cable can be plugged directly to the Rear-camera cable (For Pre-AP, AP1) / AP engine (For AP2.0 +) and it doesn't need the HDMI Interface Box for conversion.

• Disagree
Reactions: Barensn and StarLog
how about this side camera? No need to do drilling

side camera 02.jpg

side camera 03.jpg

Sorry, I think its horrible... Looks like it doesn't belong there.
The other one is way better and totally worth drilling. Besides if someone wants to remove it, im sure there are generic plugs that will cover the hole.

Reactions: StarLog
Been working on other projects (non Tesla) in this week, sorry for not updating in the past week.

The 1st testing prototype board is here and testing now, working on some hardware / software debug / inits.

1st PCB_1.jpg

For the side cameras, still struggling on what type to use, here are some 720p side cameras in the market.

side camera 06.jpg side camera 07.jpg side camera 05.jpg side camera 04.jpg

Those side camera look terrible. Why not just use factory Tesla rear facing fender cameras? They look the best.

I sent you a private (direct) message a few days ago but didn’t get a reply.
Your case is relatively simple by replacing the repeater camera from the fender turn indicator, it's feasible by adding the decoder board for the repeater camera for your AP1 because there is no standalone APE.

using the factory AP2.5 repeater camera in on the list, just need some time for the decoder board for repeater camera. The quad cam board with drilled camera will launch first. The design of the decoder board for the repeater camera is more time consuming as we are trying to minimize the potential interruption to the original signal to the APE. Also the design of the decoder board (for repeater camera) could cope with all AP versions (from Pre-AP to AP3.0).

This is fantastic, sad I only now found this.

It would be great if AP1 cars could use the AP2 fender cameras instead. Although, the first one you showed (drilled into the mirror) was the best aftermarket solution.

Either way, I'm in.

sorry for the belated update.

The sample prototype board is working fine with the 3 non-Tesla (we call it AHD camera) cameras.

Since some of you guys would like to use the stock fender cameras as for the left/right view. We are now working on the decoder/video conversion board for the fender cameras.

Will try to make some demo videos later.

Best Regards
Tommy (BearBu)