Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-camera / Quad-camera solution for Model S / X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about this OSD? No obstruction to the image

5DC129C8-7F81-4423-913D-FA722FA5D101.jpeg

Reactions: NoCharge
I would prefer no OSD myself. Any way to make it selectable on/off via canbus? Like turn it completely off by using turn signal combination of L/R/L/R or something?

If others like it; great, but I don't think it adds enough benefit to be needed.

Also, if you're giving any thought to selectable options, is there a way to override which camera is showing? For example, I prefer to have the REAR camera showing while driving forward almost 99% of the time. I'd like to switch to forward and rear camera optionally (Maybe via remote fob? I know you didn't like the fob option on your hdmi switcher, but I do use it all the time).

Re some of the questions:
- Fish eye: This demo is using all fish eye cameras (front/left/right) because these were installed on my car and these are actually the cameras in the 360 system. Also I would prefer to use fisheye for all those views as it covers all angles, the tradeoff is that the distortion, the images had been processed with distortion correction in the demo video. Also this product is mostly used for parking, isn't it?
- OSD overlay: Will take to the software engineer to see if it can be implemented as an option.

Also, if you're giving any thought to selectable options, is there a way to override which camera is showing? For example, I prefer to have the REAR camera showing while driving forward almost 99% of the time. I'd like to switch to forward and rear camera optionally (Maybe via remote fob? I know you didn't like the fob option on your hdmi switcher, but I do use it all the time).

Yeah, even set it up to work with the homelink. So i can chose different cameras from there.

Re some of the questions:
- Fish eye: This demo is using all fish eye cameras (front/left/right) because these were installed on my car and these are actually the cameras in the 360 system. Also I would prefer to use fisheye for all those views as it covers all angles, the tradeoff is that the distortion, the images had been processed with distortion correction in the demo video. Also this product is mostly used for parking, isn't it?
- OSD overlay: Will take to the software engineer to see if it can be implemented as an option.

I would love to use it as a lane camera when changing lanes. And the front for driving over step drive ways

I would love to use it as a lane camera when changing lanes. And the front for driving over step drive ways
for your application, I think you should need the camera like the OEM repeater cameras.

@kdday had suggested the camera with adjustable angle (normal viewing angle with no distortion), that might satisfied your need as it can be adjusted forward or backward. Currently some of my camera suppliers only have the one in PAL/NTSC resolution, they don't have the 720p resolution yet.

the mechanism is that , when you turn on the car, the default view is rearview (stock rearview camera), once you press and hold the menu button for 1sec, it will switch to the 3 camera system on the board (front/left/right), and while it is on the 3 camera system view , the default image is frontview, if left turn indicator is trigger, it will switch to leftview, and right turn indicator will get right view image.

We currently using the "menu" button for the switching between the rear camera and the 3 camera system as testing stage. Will find out an alternative button other than "menu" button for the switching so as to avoid to conflict to the HDMI Interface Box.

the mechanism is that , when you turn on the car, the default view is rearview (stock rearview camera), once you press and hold the menu button for 1sec, it will switch to the 3 camera system on the board (front/left/right), and while it is on the 3 camera system view , the default image is frontview, if left turn indicator is trigger, it will switch to leftview, and right turn indicator will get right view image.

We currently using the "menu" button for the switching between the rear camera and the 3 camera system as testing stage. Will find out an alternative button other than "menu" button for the switching so as to avoid to conflict to the HDMI Interface Box.
I like this approach. I actually use the keyfob on your hdmi switch and not the menu button, so I'd like to keep it that way. I'd use the menu button for your quad camera box, and will switch to the hdmi input via my remote fob.

e

Could you make the selector ( ie The choice of which camera to see ) as a button in the screen ?

It would be great as it would allow for selection without using the signal which could be confusing for people driving behind you in certain parking situations.

The other concern with using the signal is is that it would get distracting for having the cameras switching back and forth when you want to change lanes when you’re driving down the street.

I appreciate that you could shut off the camera view and not have any camera displaying but it would end up removing your ability to have the rearview camera displayed at all times while driving.

Also the fisheye cameras seem fine to me as I’m looking for the solution strictly for parking.

Also, @BearBu Is it possible to integrate a system from BMW or Mercedes into your solution because the way they stitch the camera pictures together is very well done.

• Disagree
Again...fumbling with the key fob is stupid..getting it out of your pocket while driving ..or before driving is not necessary.

Switching should be done on steering wheels buttons or screen.

That the whole idea behind a “auto entry”... not to mess with key fob in anyway.
My wife always have her key the purse

Again...fumbling with the key fob is stupid..getting it out of your pocket while driving ..or before driving is not necessary.

Switching should be done on steering wheels buttons or screen.

That the whole idea behind a “auto entry”... not to mess with key fob in anyway.
My wife always have her key the purse
@Wratran, The keyFob that kdday is reffering to is not the OEM carshaped Keyfob we all use to access the car.
kdday is refering to an aftermarket keyfob that switches the signal of their backup camera to an HDMI input. This is part of an accessory that can be installed in your car to use the car's screen for other video inputs: for example, mirroring your phone, apple tv, front camera etc.

Please correct me if Im wrong.

Reactions: KyleDay
Project update:

Will receive the PCB for the Repeater decoder board tomorrow. And we will put all those chips on and hopefully we can start cracking the signal on Monday. Will do the AP2.5 + Repeater camera first (RGB) because we don't have RCCC camera.