TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Multiple Drivers

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by willcasp, Jun 20, 2016.

1. willcasp

willcasp Member

First time poster, waiting for my new Model S which is currently slated for "late June/July" delivery.

I can't seem to find documentation on how the interface for the car handles multiple drivers. Will the car save settings specifically for each driver? Is it tied to the key fob? The scenerio is that my wife or I will be driving the car. Primarily me. I expect that we will have different opinions on just about every setting. Will the car automatically adjust the UI or settings for whoever is driving the car?

2. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

Yes 3 possible profiles

3. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Yes, it will keep three profiles, but no it will not automatically switch them. They are not tied to the key fobs. You will need to manually select your profile from the top of the CID if you were not the previous driver.

My wife is about 5' 5" and I'm 6' 1". After she drives the car, I can barely squeeze behind the wheel to select my profile.

Very annoying, the profiles should be synced to the fob!

4. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

The Model S allows multiple profiles (not sure the limit, but we have 4 set). The profiles control a pretty large number of settings including the normal, side mirrors, seats, steering wheel, and a few that are more esoteric (e.g. creep mode). You can find out what settings are saved through the touch screen. It is not tied to the key fob, you select a name from the touch screen to change the profile. It also will not automatically do an "exit" profile like some cars that raise the steering wheel out of the way when putting the car in park. Finally there is also a restricted "Valet" profile that can be selected to limit performance when you give your car to a parking attendant.

• Informative x 2
  5. willcasp

willcasp Member

Thanks for the info. I find the surprising, as my GMC truck can do this! Unlock with a FOB, and the settings adjust for that user. I am looking through the REST documentation out there, and not seeing an option to set it there either. Will see how successful I will be at asking the wife to hit my setting button when she exits. I have a similar problem, can't get into the car after she adjusts it!

6. paperjohn

paperjohn New Member

Create your own exit profile. Move the seat, move the steering wheel. to a comfortable exit, entrance profile and name it "EXIT".

7. K Hall

K Hall Member

We have 5 profiles in our Teslas. 5 drivers 4 different cars.

I sit with my legs out to switch from my wife's setting to mine. It is uncomfortable but can be done.

8. SDRick

SDRick Member

How do you set more than 3 profiles? Mine only goes up to 3.

9. K Hall

K Hall Member

Have 5 and can add a 6 one if we need it. All 3 of our Model S's are from early 2103. I have a new one delivering next week. I'll let you know if it has a different setting.

10. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Same problem here. The profiles should be tied to the fob!

11. Sugacookie

Sugacookie Member

Do the profiles save Bluetooth phone info?
    For example I have my profile activated it will also connect my phone (even if my wife is in the car)
    And when my wife's profile is activated her phone is the main Bluetooth device.

• Like x 1
  12. K Hall

K Hall Member

They do connect with the phone

13. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

They do? My experience seems to be first connected get's the Tesla. If my wife an I both get into the car, it's pretty random who's phone will be connected to the car.

• Informative x 1
  14. K Hall

K Hall Member

Could be that the driver usually gets in first

15. gerti

gerti Member

Profile handling could stand many improvements, like profile switching based on fob, store/recall audio settings (EQ, what media is playing, position etc), when two different fobs are detected also unlock the passenger door, what phone to connect to (as mentioned above)... And a number of other things that are escaping me right now. It has seen refinements in some updates though, so there is hope.

• Like x 2