Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple Drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time poster, waiting for my new Model S which is currently slated for "late June/July" delivery.

I can't seem to find documentation on how the interface for the car handles multiple drivers. Will the car save settings specifically for each driver? Is it tied to the key fob? The scenerio is that my wife or I will be driving the car. Primarily me. I expect that we will have different opinions on just about every setting. Will the car automatically adjust the UI or settings for whoever is driving the car?

First time poster, waiting for my new Model S which is currently slated for "late June/July" delivery.

I can't seem to find documentation on how the interface for the car handles multiple drivers. Will the car save settings specifically for each driver? Is it tied to the key fob? The scenerio is that my wife or I will be driving the car. Primarily me. I expect that we will have different opinions on just about every setting. Will the car automatically adjust the UI or settings for whoever is driving the car?
Yes, it will keep three profiles, but no it will not automatically switch them. They are not tied to the key fobs. You will need to manually select your profile from the top of the CID if you were not the previous driver.

My wife is about 5' 5" and I'm 6' 1". After she drives the car, I can barely squeeze behind the wheel to select my profile.

Very annoying, the profiles should be synced to the fob!

The Model S allows multiple profiles (not sure the limit, but we have 4 set). The profiles control a pretty large number of settings including the normal, side mirrors, seats, steering wheel, and a few that are more esoteric (e.g. creep mode). You can find out what settings are saved through the touch screen. It is not tied to the key fob, you select a name from the touch screen to change the profile. It also will not automatically do an "exit" profile like some cars that raise the steering wheel out of the way when putting the car in park. Finally there is also a restricted "Valet" profile that can be selected to limit performance when you give your car to a parking attendant.

Thanks for the info. I find the surprising, as my GMC truck can do this! Unlock with a FOB, and the settings adjust for that user. I am looking through the REST documentation out there, and not seeing an option to set it there either. Will see how successful I will be at asking the wife to hit my setting button when she exits. I have a similar problem, can't get into the car after she adjusts it!

Profile handling could stand many improvements, like profile switching based on fob, store/recall audio settings (EQ, what media is playing, position etc), when two different fobs are detected also unlock the passenger door, what phone to connect to (as mentioned above)... And a number of other things that are escaping me right now. It has seen refinements in some updates though, so there is hope.