Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eager to pull the trigger on the MX, but this recent string of major failure is really causing me significant pause.

People with brand new cars with parking failures. Parking break doesn’t disengage. Drive unit failures. Car won’t start. Car won’t turn off. List goes on and on. Is it hardware, software, firmware for this problem?!

I don’t live near a service center. That’s 90 miles away.

I mean, I honestly don’t want to order it at this time. Most people need a car that actually gets you here to there reliably—especially a brand new car.

Am I off the mark? I know there are good stories and bad stories, but come on.

I hope Tesla reads this and fixes whatever bad mojo is going on.

My recommendation is don’t buy it. If you are already having anxiety, you will have more once you have bought it.

I bought once a few months back. The day I bought it, the driver side eat belt was not being detected. I haven’t faced an issue like this in any car that I have bought. I have no idea what other things they might have missed.

Clearly the company has major quality control issues both in software and hardware. After firmware updates Homelink stopped working, mirrors won’t tilt. What kind of QA does the company have. Then we have issues like ghosting and acceleration shudder. When I was driving a few weeks back I had the most blinding glare from windshield that I have ever had in any car. The whole upper dash reflects on the windshield during noon.

I have resigned to the fact that I have bought an expensive toy and plan to use it just for city driving. Don’t get me wrong, I love the car when I drive it. But I just don’t trust the software and hardware build. I wish Tesla had focused on just the electric drive train and not wasted time with things like windshield, falcon wing doors, self presenting doors, monopost seats etc. Just give me a reliable Q7 with an electric drive train.

As for people mentioning that people come to forum just to complain, check out q7 forums. The biggest complaint there is that the car doesn’t have enough space.

I have had zero issues after 8 months other than my door latches replaced after it malfunctioned once. They didn’t even hesitate to replace it. I don’t have any ghosting, and my dash doesn’t reflect in the sun. Don’t know why my experience is so different.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I wonder that too. Buying a car shouldn’t be like playing a lottery - where some get lucky and some don’t.

I would also attribute the to personality of some. People who have more anxiety like OP and me will probably be more worried. Many other people might not so much.

I bought a demo 2016 MX P100D about 3 months ago. It had 7700 miles on it, mostly test drives I assume, so I expected to have a few issues. So far, I've been to the SC twice. Once to replace the 17" screen for yellowing, to fix some loose trim and because the driver's seat shifts around. The driver's seat is still on order at this point. The second time because my front passenger door jammed and my driver's side falcon wing door is erroneously detecting obstacles. Service was unable to recreate either problem for the second visit, but the FWD has since failed again and with pictures of the issue they're ordering parts to replace when I return for windshield replacement (rock hit).

Most of those sound like known issues from early MX builds. None of them were a breakdown, so resolution could be postponed until convenient.

Having come from high end performance BMWs for the past 10 years or so (M6, X5M, X6M), I'm no stranger to frequent service center visits. I consider it part of the cost pushing the envelope of high performance or high technology. If you're concerned primarily with reliability then you should probably steer clear of a vehicle with a lot of cutting edge features or beta software. The other car I was considering that lost to the MX was a BMW i8. From what I understand, the i8 gets almost as many miles going up and down the lift in service as they do on the road. At least it looks good up there on the lift.

The potential deal breaker for me in your scenario is the distance to the service center. The nearest Tesla SC is only 30 minutes away, only 3 miles further than my BMW dealer. 90 miles is a bit of a haul for service and even if you avoid the fit and finish issues I've experienced, you're going to end up in for service at some point. I love the MX so far and even knowing what issues I've hit so far, I might have still gone for the MX, even if the SC was further away.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Ditto. But if someone expects it to be as reliable as a Q7 or a Merc E/GLE they are in for a surprise.

Many people are pushing their finances and buying a Tesla. And they have probably always driven a Japanese car. They might be in for a huge surprise.

Expect Tesla to have reliability like performance German or British cars. It has less fit and finish than those cars but is more practical while having similar or better performance. Driving an electric car is awesome.

I bought a demo 2016 MX P100D about 3 months ago. It had 7700 miles on it, mostly test drives I assume, so I expected to have a few issues. So far, I've been to the SC twice. Once to replace the 17" screen for yellowing, to fix some loose trim and because the driver's seat shifts around. The driver's seat is still on order at this point. The second time because my front passenger door jammed and my driver's side falcon wing door is erroneously detecting obstacles. Service was unable to recreate either problem for the second visit, but the FWD has since failed again and with pictures of the issue they're ordering parts to replace when I return for windshield replacement (rock hit).

Most of those sound like known issues from early MX builds. None of them were a breakdown, so resolution could be postponed until convenient.

Having come from high end performance BMWs for the past 10 years or so (M6, X5M, X6M), I'm no stranger to frequent service center visits. I consider it part of the cost pushing the envelope of high performance or high technology. If you're concerned primarily with reliability then you should probably steer clear of a vehicle with a lot of cutting edge features or beta software. The other car I was considering that lost to the MX was a BMW i8. From what I understand, the i8 gets almost as many miles going up and down the lift in service as they do on the road. At least it looks good up there on the lift.

The potential deal breaker for me in your scenario is the distance to the service center. The nearest Tesla SC is only 30 minutes away, only 3 miles further than my BMW dealer. 90 miles is a bit of a haul for service and even if you avoid the fit and finish issues I've experienced, you're going to end up in for service at some point. I love the MX so far and even knowing what issues I've hit so far, I might have still gone for the MX, even if the SC was further away.

Reactions: cwerdna
I get all what you guys said. I know these issues don’t happen to everybody, too.

I made this post to stress that Tesla needs to get its act together. I’m sure they know already.

Some of these issues maybe have to do with making so many changes each quarter. Different parts, different manufacturers. Tesla likely doesn’t have enough time to check if every new addition plays well with everything else. It’s like a brand new model year car every quarter—with all its issues, too.

Eager to pull the trigger on the MX, but this recent string of major failure is really causing me significant pause.

People with brand new cars with parking failures. Parking break doesn’t disengage. Drive unit failures. Car won’t start. Car won’t turn off. List goes on and on. Is it hardware, software, firmware for this problem?!

I mean, I honestly don’t want to order it at this time. Most people need a car that actually gets you here to there reliably—especially a brand new car.

Don't buy it. I live 2 hours away from a service center and have had no issues with my S.

I know a few people with Model S's and I have an X now. I've never felt like anyone thought their car was so unreliable that they couldn't count on it to get them from point A to B. I'd agree Tesla's reliability is worse then other car makers, but keep in mind that reading forums where people are most likely to post when they have issues gives you a skewed perspective.

I've had a pretty flawless X for 2.5 months and have taken 3 big road trips without any issues (4K miles already). That said, I have already had to visit the SC twice (both key fobs swapped after they died & to return a loaner wheel after a flat). Both of these visits could have been taken care of with mobile service, but Cincinnati doesn't have that yet. Morale of the story is, I would NOT recommend buying an X unless you accept that you will probably need to visit the SC at least a few times. The other option is to call your nearest SC and ask what their policy is on mobile service seeing as you're 90 minutes away.

tl;dr I love the car enough to put up with the occasional 45 minute drive to the SC, but it's certainly not ideal. I recommend waiting until a SC opens closer to you.

I think you have a fair idea now. Almost everyone agrees that Tesla has more issues than other cars.

If I had to do it again, I would probably still get a Model X. Because with baby, other SUVs are painful because of swinging doors and difficulty in putting in and out of car seat. Minivans are a good option but all minivan options are too bad in terms of luxury qualities - drive, finish, audio system, interface etc.

However I agree that I am spending lot of money for luxury and there are other compromises. I will still get another luxury wagon from MB for long trips.

However if you are looking for model x to be your major car and already have anxiety don’t get it.

As for people mentioning that people come to forum just to complain, check out q7 forums. The biggest complaint there is that the car doesn’t have enough space.
Only complaining about lack of space is because they haven't yet driven a Model X. Once you drive a Tesla, you start to complain for things like:
  • lag in acceleratio
  • doors don't auto-present
  • suspension doesn't automatically adjust
  • poor interface
  • excessive refuelling trips
  • etc.

I do admit there is significant room for improvement. However, a lot of people give Tesla a lot of slack because of their pioneering nature.

Reactions: Akikiki
Not every issue requires an SC visit. If your SC uses the Mobile Repair trucks, they will come to your place of work or home when it's convenient for you. Then there are those recalls that can be fixed with an OTA software update; that's something no other manufacturer offers. This is the very same feature that allows your vehicle to receive new features overnight while you sleep. For me that's just mind-blowing and most of these are free and not insignificant improvements either. The car is not the same car today what I've bought back in March, 2017. It's way better and will be better still a year from now.

In exchange you have to deal with bugs and occasional issues that are usually resolved very quickly. You are not dealing with a dealership, you are dealing directly with the manufacturer. That also makes a huge difference as it is easy to escalate to the highest levels should you ever need to.

Yes, fit and finish, in general does not yet match the World Class luxury German and Japanese automakers. They didn't get there overnight either and Tesla has only been in the game for a relatively short time. But they are steadily improving.

I have my own set of minor issues, although none has been one that negated the fact that every time when I go in for a SC visit I'm dreading the moment when they are out of Tesla loaners and I get an ICE loaner (usually Infinity or Mercedes loaners). That's when it really hits home. It's just human nature; we get used to all the good stuff and take it for granted until it is snapped away.

My previous cars were BMW X5, a Genesis v8 and a BMW 745i. The X5 and the Genesis were the most trouble-free; the 745i was a lemon. I have spent more time in 3-series loaner cars than driven my own vehicle during a 3-year lease all because of electronic failures and iDrive issues. Luck is always a factor, regardless which way you go. As advanced as those vehicles were in their time, nothing out there really compares to a Tesla because of the immense amount of software these cars incorporate, including the UI. Overall, my experience has been overwhelmingly positive, despite the issues I've experienced (FW doors creaking, minor creaks in the headboard which is waiting for replacement). After 7 months of ownership, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Since I tend to buy or lease fully loaded vehicles, I have accepted the fact of higher than average chance of issues in return for more advanced comfort and convenience features which I value. At the same time, I have always been very impressed with the Tesla SC personnel's attitude and positive drive to take ownership of the problems and customer service. Until that changes, I will continue to give them my business because I want to help them succeed in what they are trying to do.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Reactions: VikH and Akikiki
We are on our 4th Tesla. We've never been stranded in any of them which is a major improvement compared to underivable BMW and Mercedes cars we've owned in the past. 911 Turbo is the only non-Tesla car that has never failed to get us from point A to point B.

Stop reading these forums and get the car that best suits your lifestyle. Get what you want and enjoy it. What's the worst thing that's going to happen? You will have to drive 2 hours 6 months from now? Yay! Road trip!

Remember it took multiple years before the Model S reached excellent reliability. There is a Consumer Reports recommended rating for it, after all... If you want a highly reliable car go for Model S. The X is still cutting edge, 5-10 years ahead of its time. Reliability and issues are progressively improving. It is certainly better. I have zero concerns for reliability, I am confident my X will never fail me.

People have odd expectations for a new manufacturer. How could there not be issues? Go Model S or a legacy manufacturer with age old processes and thinking. I’ll gladly stay in Model X knowing I’m driving the car of the future and that I am well taken care of. I’ll also gladly drive my Model X knowing my life is in the best hands possible.

Remember it took multiple years before the Model S reached excellent reliability. There is a Consumer Reports recommended rating for it, after all... If you want a highly reliable car go for Model S. The X is still cutting edge, 5-10 years ahead of its time. Reliability and issues are progressively improving. It is certainly better. I have zero concerns for reliability, I am confident my X will never fail me.

People have odd expectations for a new manufacturer. How could there not be issues? Go Model S or a legacy manufacturer with age old processes and thinking. I’ll gladly stay in Model X knowing I’m driving the car of the future and that I am well taken care of. I’ll also gladly drive my Model X knowing my life is in the best hands possible.

Has the MS "reached excellent reliability" ?

Two New Teslas - Terrible Reliability Hits New Records

My Model S 75D Experience 2 Weeks In

So glad you wrote in. I suppose your comment here is going to suddenly motivate Tesla to stop all the purposeful problems and fix the mojo.

Frankly, I hope you do not buy the X. We are looking for owners that don't have a negative attitude when they start their first day of ownership.

• Disagree
Reactions: DrivingRockies
So glad you wrote in. I suppose your comment here is going to suddenly motivate Tesla to stop all the purposeful problems and fix the mojo.

Frankly, I hope you do not buy the X. We are looking for owners that don't have a negative attitude when they start their first day of ownership.

Appreciate your thoughtful contribution to the discussion, Akikiki.

I have tons of admiration for Tesla, otherwise I wouldn't be considering a purchase. Great innovative American company with a great product.

But, I'm not so blinded by the admiration that I can't see Tesla's recent blunders.

Forgetting tow hitches in new orders. Not installing the correct headlights in new orders. Brand new cars getting bricked by recent hardware/software. Heck, even Bjorn the Tesla video blogger had 2 issues that stranded him in a matter of two weeks.

It's not really supposed to come across 'negative,' but more of shock and surprise. I thought this sort of stuff was in the past. I'm shocked these things are still happening!

Good luck, guys! I'll leave this board for a little while.

Are you thinking that some day every Tesla is going to be build and be perfect? Never going to happen. As is the same with every other manufacturer and its not limited to cars - ICE or EVs.

Don't miss out on blaming the flaws, software bugs, and less than perfect fit and finish on the humans that are trying to do their best.
I'm very happy with my Model S. Does it have every cool thing on it that I want or that I think they can put on it? No. This car should have been built 25-30 years ago by other manufacturers. We should be on Version 10 or 20 from GM, Ford even Toyota. Why didn't they build it? By the way other manufacturers design and build for the public, this car is 20 years ahead of all others.

47+ years ago, I worked for a combined big dealership for American Motors (Rambler), Oldsmobile and the new kid in town, Toyota. We sold and serviced a lot of cars. At the entrance to the Service Dept and the New Car Prep/Delivery Dept the boss had hung a sign that said.

Ivory Soap commercials claim that their product is 99 and 44/100th% pure. If a new automobile was built to the same exacting standards as Ivory Soap, the average automobile could have more than 300 individual flaws or mistakes and still be 99 and 44/100th% "Pure". We are here to make sure you are pleased that you purchased from us.

Everything is relative. Is my car perfect? No, but its so much more, so much closer to perfect than any other manufacturer out there, I have no complaints about what Tesla builds. You are going to take issue with what I am saying - I don't care. I am going to use an expression that's a favorite here to explain the Tesla. The worse day surfing is better than the best day working.

IME of many cars, it's the high end of the market (especially with cutting edge tech) that tends to be the most unreliable. I've owned several Porsche 911s and those have been pretty unreliable compared to more mundane everyday cars I've owned. One actually blew an engine (well known issue on the 996/early 997 models), and another (997.2) went back to the SC on a flatbed truck twice with electrical gremlins stranding it on the roadside while still under Porsche warranty. Our simple Nissan Qashqai on the other hand has had zero issues in over 3 years from new and it was a brand new model in first year production. Actually I can't remember the last time I had any major issue with a cheap modern everyday car including Volvo, Ford, Honda, even Alfa Romeo! But the higher end stuff always seems to have issues, however minor. I guess they are simply more complicated with more stuff to go wrong and of course your expectations are higher from the start.

So I'm going to be realistic in my expectations for Tesla ownership. But the test drives I had were amazing and I'm totally sold on the Model X as a luxury family car. Maybe an Audi Q7 would have been a "safer" buy in terms of build quality and reliability, but it's such a bland uninspiring car to be around - a real yawn-fest of a vehicle! So I'd rather tolerate a few more gremlins in a car that gives me much more interest, than follow all the sheep in a big-engined ICE!

My advice is to buy the X if it's the car you really want and puts a smile on your face every time you drive. Chances are it will get you from A-B reliably, even if things are not perfect. But if you are one of those OCD types that picks up on any little bug, however trivial, then it's probably not the car for you. Unfortunately I don't think the perfect car exists, but the X is certainly the most interesting SUV you can drive today. What are you going to buy instead?

Reactions: Bijli123