Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple system failure / Wiring Harness Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I've just realised you don't need to remove the frunk to see that connector. You just pull off the bit of trim which gives access to the brake reservoir. So it's very easy.
Ah nice, one. Cheers. Rain stopped here but now getting dark so maybe one for next weekend. I drove it last night through absolutely dire weather and it held up, so fingers crossed....

I’d never heard of that tape before. A quick search, looks good, saves disconnecting the connector. Might be worth a try

I used to get it from Maplin but they don't seem to do these kind of supplies anymore. The stuff I've sourced more recently has been of varying quality (I don't recommend the B&Q version - the Screwfix one looks more like it). The tape doesn't have any adhesive on it so doesn't turn into a disgusting mess like almost every other type of "insulating tape". It's a stretchy rubber that adheres to itself and forms to the shape it is covering. The layers merge into each other forming the equivalent of a bespoke tight fitting rubber boot. If it needs to be removed you use just cut it off with a Stanley knife and it comes away cleanly.

Reactions: D4v1d
Its a tricky one about a pre-emptive fix. If it was as easy as sealing it, I would like to think Tesla can retrospectively do that, but I suspect, if you did it yourself and a problem later occurred, it would be an expensive conversation to be had over warranty. Would be interesting to see a later car with the change in loom to see if more is going on than just that connector.

Ok here's the connector the photo earlier was pointing to. I don't believe this is the one causing the problem. Multiple reports say it's connected to the steering column but this one is connecting to the brake booster.

I've looked at the harness diagram in the parts manual but it's difficult to see from that where the steering column connector meets the harness. I suspect it's lower down than this one though.

connector M3.jpg

You can see from this photo though that the area is completely dry and it's been raining continuously here for the last 48 hours, so I'm not really concerned about it on my car now I've looked.

Ok here's the connector the photo earlier was pointing to. I don't believe this is the one causing the problem. Multiple reports say it's connected to the steering column but this one is connecting to the brake booster.

I've looked at the harness diagram in the parts manual but it's difficult to see from that where the steering column connector meets the harness. I suspect it's lower down than this one though.

View attachment 511801

You can see from this photo though that the area is completely dry and it's been raining continuously here for the last 48 hours, so I'm not really concerned about it on my car now I've looked.
Excellent, thanks. I'll have a rummage next weekend. If all is dry, I'll run with it and keep my fingers crossed.

Its a tricky one about a pre-emptive fix. If it was as easy as sealing it, I would like to think Tesla can retrospectively do that, but I suspect, if you did it yourself and a problem later occurred, it would be an expensive conversation to be had over warranty. Would be interesting to see a later car with the change in loom to see if more is going on than just that connector.

Yes, it would require being prepared to remove anything that was added or risk being accused of exacerbating or causing the issue.

If they were taking proactive measures to ensure affected cars are fixed before the problems occur then that would be managing well, waiting for cars to break down is not managing it well.

We know that Tesla make the cars in batches, so they will know how many cars would be affected, have they issued a recall or notified these owners of this potential problem...

We don't know if it is affecting all early RHD cars as we are not Tesla and don't have access to the data but you could easily guess seeing as cars are made in batches we would have an idea of when the changes (if any) have been made.

Affected VINS
If anybody affected or has had their car fixed, I would and I am sure others would really appreciate it if you could confirm the VIN range of your car.

Out of the last 6 digits of the VIN ie 413XXX

Appreciate any feedback from affected users
@bjbrown
@CMc1
@Surf-Edinburgh
@pacman65
@Beaurobyn
@navt
@Andy_T_73
@Plagued
@victorgse

Mine was actually related to an adjustment to the steering column, when changing driver profiles. The connect became snagged behind the dash and disconnected its self (bad routing).
But for data VIN: 438

Reactions: Rooster6655
I never had the chance to investigate and protect the vulnerable suspected connector! My wife took the car today and phoned me to say it had a screen full of warnings and no power steering ... so I knew exactly what had happened! I've joined the club. For anyone collecting details mine is an SR+ (with tow) 463xxx.

As I'm game for an adventure I formulated my plan. I was determined to get a prompt response so I drove out in the old Fiesta to meet up with my wife and Tesla. I have driven a car with failed power steering before and have pretty reasonable upper body strength ... you need it at slow speeds! I drove it straight to the Edinburgh Tesla Service Centre (about 30 miles from where the car started protesting and 50 from home). I got a positive response from staff there and they didn't dispute my contention that this was a known issue. I did comment that I hoped a recall was being considered to prevent others being affected.

Anyway, despite me just turning up on spec they booked the car in and sorted me out with a good condition Model S 75D with no delay. No complaints at all at the response from Tesla Edinburgh ... everything positive, cool, calm, and collected.

Drove the car to work this morning and was sat in it fiddling with YouTube when I noticed a random click coming from the centre console. Every time the click happened, all the warning lights would come on with the yellow steering wheel. Another ‘click’ and they would go off again.

I’m hoping this isn’t early onset of the wet loom problem. Will see how the journey home goes. :eek:

Urgh, just noticed mine has this issue with trim sitting proud of the base of the windscreen and it’s been peeing it down all afternoon.

Will hope a little bit of pressure will fix this first thing tomorrow and I don’t break anything on day two of ownership!

Before: window seal sitting proud on the left but looking further up towards the wiper arm you can see the plastic trim sitting nearly flush with the seal.
IMG-0683.jpg

Before: close up of the trim sitting flush
IMG-0684.jpg

After: pushed down the plastic trim (positively clicked into place). Seal now sits proud of the plastic trim. Worryingly on the passenger side of the window the seal is near non existent and there appears to be a significant gap between plastic trim and window seal.
IMG-0685.jpg

Last edited:
Just looked on the app and see that mine is indeed in the bowels of the service centre and with the frunk raised ... do a good job guys!
That's a better response than I got in the Birmingham SC, Although they immediately took the car and gave me a hire car, it's been 22 days in a queue and they have finally got round to looking at my car today. No news yet but I'm hopeful it'll be sorted by day 23.

Reactions: Rooster6655
That's a better response than I got in the Birmingham SC, Although they immediately took the car and gave me a hire car, it's been 22 days in a queue and they have finally got round to looking at my car today. No news yet but I'm hopeful it'll be sorted by day 23.

I was presuming that there wouldn't be any new parts requiring to be ordered but I may well be wrong about that. You would think that would be the only reason for a long delay. The person booking my car in thought I could expect the car back by the end of the week but my app is now indicating that the car should be ready by 12.00 tomorrow ... not bad when I only gave it to them at nearly 5pm yesterday with no appointment!

You need to make more of a fuss about the car if you want it looked at quicker, make sure you also get a loaner otherwise you may end at the back of the queue!

Drove the car to work this morning and was sat in it fiddling with YouTube when I noticed a random click coming from the centre console. Every time the click happened, all the warning lights would come on with the yellow steering wheel. Another ‘click’ and they would go off again.

I’m hoping this isn’t early onset of the wet loom problem. Will see how the journey home goes. :eek:

I saw this the other day - in park/playing with something. Noticed I had my foot on the brake hard - took it off and it stopped