Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 sharing does not work as hoped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now, I do not leave my connectors on, unless I am using.
What in the world? Yeah, I think I can understand why this continually breaks your configuration. If you disconnect one or more, it now wouldn't match what you set everything up to be, and you would have to go through reconfiguring everything again every single time you power off or power on any of them.

I just do not like leaving things on. I turn my computer off each night when I head to bed. I just believe things on
will wear out sooner. Valid? No idea,
Well, that is another interesting one that may be counterintuitive. Computers will fail quicker when they are continually turned off and on like that. It's far more thermal cycling, as all of the metals, connections, solder joints, etc. heat up and cool down every single day instead of staying at relatively the same temperature. That heating and cooling expands and contracts the metals, which does cause extra stress.

Even though I have basically unlimited free electricity, I still turn
off the lights when I leave a room. Or I turn off my heat pumps when they do not need to be used on the shoulder periods of the seasons.
That's the tradeoff with all of that. The on/off cycles are extra stress, but does save energy. So this becomes somewhat of a personal preference and analysis of when energy saving is significant enough to be worth it to keep turning it on and off versus how it's harder on the equipment. I would agree that switches and LED bulbs probably don't have much wear difference, so yeah, I wouldn't leave lights on for that either.

I'm 99% sure if I open the breaker to the slave unit, it's going to mess up my master unit from working at all. This is because I recall messing with my ghetto azz 3/4" conduit (it's actually a garbage disposal drain hose hehe) on my slave unit, and I had to re-provision the whole thing.

I agree with @E90alex, you're supposed to leave the slave Gen 3's powered and it's supposed to work as you want. I guess you'll lose a bit of electricity to power the Wifi and green LED though.
Yep, I just unshaved everything and works for me now
Thanks

I didnt catch that you were flipping the breakers off on the other ones. Its probably designed to be left on (I dont turn off my physical breakers on my gen 2s either). Based on how you want to use them, its probably best that you dont power share them.

Reactions: Rocky_H
What in the world? Yeah, I think I can understand why this continually breaks your configuration. If you disconnect one or more, it now wouldn't match what you set everything up to be, and you would have to go through reconfiguring everything again every single time you power off or power on any of them.

Well, that is another interesting one that may be counterintuitive. Computers will fail quicker when they are continually turned off and on like that. It's far more thermal cycling, as all of the metals, connections, solder joints, etc. heat up and cool down every single day instead of staying at relatively the same temperature. That heating and cooling expands and contracts the metals, which does cause extra stress.

That's the tradeoff with all of that. The on/off cycles are extra stress, but does save energy. So this becomes somewhat of a personal preference and analysis of when energy saving is significant enough to be worth it to keep turning it on and off versus how it's harder on the equipment. I would agree that switches and LED bulbs probably don't have much wear difference, so yeah, I wouldn't leave lights on for that either.
When I power off then on they work just fine, just like if I only had one unit

My experience was the leader... ?master? just stopped working when the follower... ?slave? units went offline.

BTW, I'm still using the old convention from IDE drives. Has tech largely moved away from master/slave? Like I legit don't know if I'm inadvertently offending people using that terminology.
Terminology has been shifting, Tesla Gen 3 manual uses leader/ follower, git uses main. Dunno about SPI bus...

Terminology has been shifting, Tesla Gen 3 manual uses leader/ follower, git uses main. Dunno about SPI bus...
Yep, our organization is not allowed to purchase anything using "discriminatory" language in the UI, settings, or documentation. However, we will work with them on identifying the necessary changes to switch to acceptable terminology. (allow/deny, lead/follow, primary/secondary, etc.) Last I heard we only had one vendor refuse to make the changes.

Yep, our organization is not allowed to purchase anything using "discriminatory" language in the UI, settings, or documentation. However, we will work with them on identifying the necessary changes to switch to acceptable terminology. (allow/deny, lead/follow, primary/secondary, etc.) Last I heard we only had one vendor refuse to make the changes.

Ok cool, I'm now so stupid with tech that I need IT to install the latest version of the Internet (I mean Google) on my work laptop. I feel like this terminology is a weird hill for a vendor to die on. They want money right? Lol.

Maybe @jjrandorin or @bmah can edit my old posts to change my convention to lead/follow?

I wonder when they'll start referring to the main bedroom of a house as the "leader" bedroom.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Ok cool, I'm now so stupid with tech that I need IT to install the latest version of the Internet (I mean Google) on my work laptop. I feel like this terminology is a weird hill for a vendor to die on. They want money right? Lol.

Maybe @jjrandorin or @bmah can edit my old posts to change my convention to lead/follow?

I wonder when they'll start referring to the main bedroom of a house as the "leader" bedroom.

I dont have rights here in this subforum, but its fairly obvious what your intention was when you made the posts. I still think of the units in the way you mentioned them as that was the previous way to describe it. We describe them as "leader / follower" now, though.

I can only speak for myself here but I didnt feel any offense at the terms in the manner in which they were used here, and I am a black man myself. I dont particularly hide this, but I dont feel a need to bring it up often either. I only bring it up now for context in "It didnt bother me in this context". You could report the posts if you want it changed though.

Last edited: