Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Hopes SpaceX Falcon Heavy Launch Will Inspire Space Race

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SpaceX received cheers around the world this week for the successful launch of Falcon Heavy, which is now the most powerful rocket in operation. In fact, TMC members from all over traveled to view the launch in person.

Now that Starman’s breathtakingly scenic livestream has ended, here’s roundup of some of the details that emerged around the mission.

Payload: The Roadster – SpaceX delighted the world with a livestream of Elon Musk’s Tesla Roadster traveling through space. Typical of a Tesla, acceleration was more rapid than expected. The Roadster was supposed to follow a path around the Sun that would place it near Mars’ orbit. However, the second stage burn overshot that trajectory and beyond an encounter with Mars. Musk previously said the car may reach the asteroid belt, but SpaceX later updated the projection to say the car will come short of that distance. As Space.com notes, “Starman and Musk’s Roadster are in an elliptical orbit around the sun. At their closest point to the sun, they will fly just inside the Earth’s orbit. At their farthest away, they’ll be 243 million miles (390 million kilometers) from the sun. For comparison, Earth’s average distance from the sun is about 93 million miles (150 million km). Mars orbits the sun at 142 million miles (228 million km).”

Screen-Shot-2018-02-06-at-4.55.28-PM.png
The livestream of Starman and the Roadster was the second largest in YouTube’s history, reaching more than 2.3 million concurrent views.

Track the Roadster as a Celestial ObjectNASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory’s website allows users to track the Roadster’s position in space. Within the interface, click “change” next to the target body, type in “SpaceX,” hit enter, then click “Generate ephemeris.” The same system tracks all the other bodies in the Solar System.

But NASA also provides a disclaimer: “Prediction errors could increase significantly over time due to unmodeled solar presure [sic], thermal radiation, or outgassing accelerations that are not characterized.”

Middle Booster – The center core only fired one of the three engines necessary for landing and it missed the drone ship. The booster slammed into the water at 300 mph, showering the deck of the ship with shrapnel, according to Musk. SpaceX at least knows the source of the landing failure to address before the next launch.

The outer boosters, however, separated as expected about two and a half minutes after liftoff and returned to Earth, spectacularly touching down just seconds apart.

25254688767_83c0563d06_z.jpg
Arch Mission Foundation
– SpaceX placed an “Arch” storage system containing Isaac Asimov’s Foundation book series inside the Roadster. An Arch is “5D optical storage in quartz” – small glass disks – capable of storing 360 terabytes of data, with an estimated lifespan of up to 13.8 billion years. The disks are expected to survive even in the harsh conditions of space. Asimov’s work was added to the payload in support of the Arch Mission Foundation. The foundation’s goal is to permanently archive human knowledge for thousands to billions of years. “We exist to preserve and disseminate humanity’s knowledge across time and space, for the benefit of future generations.”

0_68AxVrg4WodoOsu-.jpeg
Space Suit
– The Starman mannequin was wearing an actual production SpaceX crew spacesuit. The sleek suit will be worn by SpaceX astronauts flying on Crew Dragon. And Starman wasn’t just being stylish. The suit was being tested in the correct conditions to meet qualification articles set by NASA in order to operate crewed launches.

spacex-spacesuit-1.jpeg
“I mean, it’s a dangerous trip, you want to look good,” Elon Musk said at a press conference following the launch. “It’s easy to make a spacesuit that looks good but doesn’t work; it’s really hard to make a spacesuit that works, and looks good.”

Falcon Heavy is Capable – The rocket proved its power. “The great thing about Falcon heavy is that it opens up a new class of payload,” Musk said. “It could launch one more than twice as much payload as any other rocket in the world, so it’s up to customers what they might want to launch. But it can launch things direct to Pluto and beyond. No stop needed.”

Musk Wants to Inspire – Despite losing the center core and missing the payload target, the Falcon Heavy launch is considered a great success. Musk said he welcomes competitors, as it will help continue to push science and technology forward.

“I think it’s going to encourage other countries and companies to raise their sights and say hey we can do bigger and better, which is great,” he said. “We want a new space race. Races are exciting.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to say it overshot, but kind of a fail to not go where you aim at? And is the rocket now supposed to make it back to Earth? Does it have fuel left to A- get here and B- land safely?

It was always supposed to trace an elliptical orbit around the sun. It was a test payload. Now, SpaceX itself created that confusion by not being being very precise about the intended orbit. They also released an animation that was flat out wrong (it showed the Roadster approaching Mars itself, rather than crossing its orbit). At any rate, the second stage used up all its fuel and it and the Roadster are now coasting on an elliptical orbit around the sun that will intersect Earth and Mars orbits.

Orbits are kind of large, right? Not exactly an impressive bull eye to hit.
Are we looking at a rocket destined to crash into something bigger at some undeterminded point in the future, or an advanced boomerang? If you can't land back on Earth after failing to properly visit Mars, what's the point? We have a rocket that can carry more stuff on a general direction of space before it runs out of fuel?

• Funny
Reactions: Bobfitz1
Nice to say it overshot, but kind of a fail to not go where you aim at? And is the rocket now supposed to make it back to Earth? Does it have fuel left to A- get here and B- land safely?

The article clearly states Elon Musk's 2008 Tesla Roadster is ". . . in an elliptical orbit around the sun. At their closest point to the sun, they will fly just inside the Earth’s orbit. At their farthest away, they’ll be 243 million miles (390 million kilometers) from the sun. For comparison, Earth’s average distance from the sun is about 93 million miles (150 million km). Mars orbits the sun at 142 million miles (228 million km).”
This is also known as a heliocentric orbit. Heliocentric orbit - Wikipedia

The heliocentric orbit as calculated today predicts the Tesla Roadster will cross back to within .98% of the Earth's orbit and as far out as .056% further than Mars' orbit for millions of years. Of course this does not take into account a possible collision with an unmapped object of unknown size.

Orbits are kind of large, right? Not exactly an impressive bull eye to hit.
Are we looking at a rocket destined to crash into something bigger at some undeterminded point in the future, or an advanced boomerang? If you can't land back on Earth after failing to properly visit Mars, what's the point? We have a rocket that can carry more stuff on a general direction of space before it runs out of fuel?

You have completely missed the point of this test flight. As the first flight of a new rocket, It was testing the rocket, not the payload, nor a mission for the payload. There was a high probability of launch failure. The stats are pretty brutal for first flights of new rockets. As such, SpaceX didn’t spend a lot of time on the payload. Usually rocket companies will just send a block of concrete as their payload on a first launch attempt. SpaceX decided to make it more fun, by launching a Roadster with a Starman on board. This part of the mission exceeded their wildest dreams by the stunning images they captured and the huge amount of PR generated.

As a final touch, they sent it to Mars orbit. Doing anything else (like actually orbiting around Mars)would have required a very particular launch date that occurs once every few years (planets have to line up), and then build an actual spaceship with solar arrays for power, computers for mission control, etc. All not worth it.

Before bashing something, you might want to understand what you are bashing. Asking polite questions is a better strategy when you don’t understand something.

So it's a fancy camera with a pretty looking block of concrete thrown higher than usual. Got it. I got dragged in on the hype and expected too much.
What they did is already too much by itself. "Crazy" things like this is what moves the progress ahead. Without "stupid" events like this we were still going to ambush our food in the bushes holding rocks and hoping for the best.

So it's a fancy camera with a pretty looking block of concrete thrown higher than usual. Got it. I got dragged in on the hype and expected too much.

It’s amazing what people choose to look at and pick apart.

I see it as a new rocket that is many times cheaper to build than the competitors and is much more functional with the ability to land. Impressive stuff. But hey, if you can do better, please try as I’d love to see it!!!

Starman secretly took driving lessons (and fashion ideas) from the Stig. That is why he drove faster than expected and reached a higher orbit : >)

Huge accomplishment for Space X, and the future on mankind's quest for the Stars.

As a side note on fuel. Elon previously said that in the quest to populate Mars, he would send people and extra fuel into a low earth staging orbit. The rockets would use most of their fuel getting into orbit, where they would refuel again for their trip to Mars. This would give them fuel enough to fly to Mars, land safely, and have sufficient fuel to allow people, that wished to, return to Earth.

These are just the baby steps to accomplish his long term goals of expanding human's ability to survive a catastrophic event on Earth.

Cloxxki with corrections by @scaesare said:
So it's a ncecessary instrumented test flight fancy camera with a pretty looking using something inconic to inspire people rather than a boring block of concrete thrown higher than usual in order to test the maximum capability of the delivery vehicle. Got it. I got dragged in on the hype didn't bother to be informed, made inaccurate assumptions, and therefore expected too much all the while missing the point.

Fixed that for you

Forget about last Sunday's Superbowl commercials that went for 5 million dollars a pop. With this SpaceX launch, Tesla gained more brand value for less money than all of those commercials combined. The irony being that it was only a sidebar to the actual FH mission objectives. At his press conference I was especially struck by Elon's comment that the Roadster was just like a normal car launched into Space. No mention of an "EV", just a normal car.

With all the buzz created around this launch, I might put it up there with last summer's total solar eclipse. No guess as to whether this event will inspire a "Space Race", but I do think a lot of people just got really excited about their future.

Reactions: Grendal

To be fair, a lot of the popular press articles got a bunch of details wrong. However, it just means that if you want to learn about a highly technical subject, don’t read popular press articles. You can’t blame the media for misinforming you - that’s almost a job description of the media these days. If you want to really know what is going on, you have to read media with a critical eye and exercise sound judgement.

OP - don’t try to be a wise-ass. Have the humility to ask questions and understand the objectives of this mission. There is a reason why highly intelligent and well accomplished folks from all walks of life applaud this as a seminal event.

It is okay to be stupid. Not okay to be stupid and arrogant. You will fit fine in the WH.

I realize this post might go to Snippiness. But some folks need to to be told bluntly instead of taking them seriously and making an attempt to answer.

Oof. A guy telling others to have humility while he portrays a group of people he knows nothing about as stupid and arrogant (the WH). And you can reply to the OP with grace and HUMILITY. My posts did. You don’t have to call someone stupid and arrogant.

To be fair, a lot of the popular press articles got a bunch of details wrong. However, it just means that if you want to learn about a highly technical subject, don’t read popular press articles. You can’t blame the media for misinforming you - that’s almost a job description of the media these days. If you want to really know what is going on, you have to read media with a critical eye and exercise sound judgement.
I don't follow maintream media. I just saw headlines on Twitter and the Tesla stuff I follow. I certainly didn't make an effort to learn exactly how they were going to spend all this money for a test flight.

I don't follow maintream media. I just saw headlines on Twitter and the Tesla stuff I follow. I certainly didn't make an effort to learn exactly how they were going to spend all this money for a test flight.

Ok, can you see how your posts on this subject have annoyed people? You stated judgements (‘fail’) and stated incorrect things as fact, all based on little research. If all you wanted to do was learn more, then ask questions, without the value judgements and put a few more question marks after your assertions.

Lord knows, I sometimes make the mistake of saying something as a fact without really knowing whether it is true or not. I’ve gotten better and now really ask myself whether I know that or not. If I don’t, I rephrase it as a question.

[off topic]
Is a space race necessarily good for humanity? What did the last one bring us? Where did Concorde go? Where was the follow-up?
Are these kinds of billions better spent on aerospace engineers than agricultural engineers to rebuild forrests, waterways, farm land, etc, to feed the hungry and up the O2 levels?
Space X is doing what had to be done decades ago, expose the inadequacy of NASA. But to be fair, the Russians on a shoestring budget (and duct tape technology) did that already of course, just with less recognition in the West.

If so much money is to be invested into aerospace engineers, let them figure out electric trans-continental flight. Supersonic. Take-off with a maglev winch. It's already done in amusement parks for rollercoasters.
Scale up and launch the plane in ultra low drag wing configuration, more rocket than prop jet. Launch might be near-sonic or supersonic in itself to insert as much kinetic energy into the plane as possible without addressing the on board batteries. Reach high crusing altitude quickly. Of course, this would be a plane with stable cabin pressure from boarding to landing.
With most of the energy to achieve high altitude cruise taken care of by a maglev winch, speed and range would be greatly improved. A larger plane furthermore is more efficient.
Heck, with all that succes in multi-stage flight, why not make the airplane multi-stage? Booster battery packs add kinetic energy upon launch, aiding already with their mass to achieve higher altitude. But they also have a high-speed prop/jet drive to help the plane along even better. Returning to base in glide mode (go-go-Gadget wings) just like Space-X boosters do now.

Mars rockets are really cool, but it would be nicer and more useful to electrify air traffic. To be honest, air traffic has a worse reputation than it deserves. Planes being big and cigar-shaped, their fuel economy is much better than most people realize. Taking a flight rather than a car to get to your destination is cleaner. Certainly if you don't carpool.
[/off topic]