Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk: I really want the Model III to be different, not just a smaller Model S (video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The model 3 will not be weird it will look like this...

ngbbs4996184473419.jpg

Something you would all want to drive and give waves to people on the street in. :cool:
Everyone will be jealous. Can't wait to get one.

Look at what happened when Chrysler tried a 4/5 scale Chrysler 300.

The proportions are inherently part of the sexiness.

My guesstimates?

The base Model 3 will have at least as good acceleration as any $35k sedan.

It will have class leading low center of gravity and therefore slot car handling.

It will have a large touchscreen infotainment system/HVAC control.

A no shift 1 speed transmission.

Textile seats, my guess manually adjusted.

Power windows,power locks,keyless entry,heat and air conditioning.

Hopefully coat hooks,grab handles,storage cubbies, tie down rings in the liftgate area, front cup holders big enough for a Big Gulp and rear cup holders too.:wink:

16" steel wheels with Aerodynamic disc wheel covers.

And at least 200 miles EPA range.

And a fully loaded 85 kWh all wheel drive performance version for $85k.

And a well equipped AWD 85 kWh with two small motors for $70k

Great assessment. I would expect the Model 3 to be the electric 3 series fighter everyone would want.

A stripped down 320i equivalent (electric motor, good driving dynamics), minimal amenities (you pretty much covered it). Some kind of 328i type level with a lot more bells and whistles (heated seats, maybe a better touch screen, other things).

There are two questions for me. How much markup will the "auto pilot" be, and how soon will other auto makers catch up with what Tesla is doing?

There really is a fine intersection between different/compelling/mass market. Like one of those Venn diagrams with a very small centre section.

The web is full of concept-car flights-of-fancy like this:-

chevrolet-fnr-concept-fullbleed.jpg

Fine for the Tron-obsessive in your life...

My guess is the Next Tesla plant goes to Texas for primarily political reasons or somewhere else in the South for primarily economic ones.
I would bet on Tesla not building a factory in any state which prohibits Tesla from selling cars. I would expect Tesla to require that those prohibitions be repealed *first*. And frankly Texas is especially unlikely to repeal it, given Texas politics.

I would therefore bet on one of the states which already allows Tesla to sell cars.

http://www.mojomotors.com/blog/where-can-tesla-sell-cars/

I would bet on Tesla not building a factory in any state which prohibits Tesla from selling cars. I would expect Tesla to require that those prohibitions be repealed *first*. And frankly Texas is especially unlikely to repeal it, given Texas politics.

I would therefore bet on one of the states which already allows Tesla to sell cars.

http://www.mojomotors.com/blog/where-can-tesla-sell-cars/

Ironically enough, according to the map, they can sell in Mississippi. There's actually a fairly substantial automotive manufacturing base there with Nissan and Toyota.

Yeah. Mississippi is good for multiple reasons...

• Low population, with lower income, so fewer potential buyers to worry about.
• Plentiful, rather cheap land
• Temperate climate, as long as you avoid flood plains and tornado alleys
• Nice center of distribution to points East and North by road, rail, or barge, as well as port access at the Gulf Coast for international shipping

I grew up there. Hated it. But I appreciate it much more as an adult.