Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk promises better Summon coming "next year"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happens if two Teslas see the same spot at the same time?

4F897840-2589-4AEC-874D-BE995D94610B.jpeg

Consider what that would do to the distinction between "by this year" and "by next year."

Also consider the distinction between "by today" and "by tomorrow."

^^ Exactly.

If my mechanic said my truck would be ready "By 3pm", I would expect that 1 second after 2:59:59pm, I could pick it up.

In this sense, "By next year" would read the day after 31 December, 2018.

Not holding my breath... but incredulously hopeful o_O

a) I'm VERY skeptical.
b) There's no guarantee that any existing car will get this feature. Look for Super Auto Pilot to be available for $6000 ($8000 after delivery) to replace the current EAP option. It actually will do less than EAP or AP1 when delivered, but the future enhancements due within a countable number of months will more than make up for that.
I’m also skeptical. There were a lot of the things Elon promised for AP1 (off ramp on ramp , smart summon) and they seem like things he dreamed about and found out they could only do with AP2. This makes me a bit nervous for the AP2 promises. Some part of me thinks a year or two from now, a new hardware suite will come out, and he’ll just stop talking about AP2. And I know he promised upgrades, but an MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade path was promised, and there’s actually a reddit with unfulfilled promises out there. I’ve said it before, sometimes I think the first Elon tweet about a feature is the first time his engineers hear about it. I love these cars, but I see a similar upgrade path like I do with my PC, I can swap in new hardware, but eventually I need a new machine every 3 years to fulfill my performance demands. I wish I drove few enough miles to lease...

Reactions: 1375mlm
View attachment 348667

Earlier Musk said that a new Summon is in the works that will use the cameras. Now we have more details.

Yes, I am aware of "Elon Time" so take it with a grain salt. But still pretty cool. This new Summon sounds like it will be for FSD. So I am guessing it is something that Tesla hopes to do with the new AP3 chip also coming next year.

More.. BS I don't believe a single timeline given by musk. We were promised self parking with FSD when I bought my Model S 2 years ago and now they are claiming another year...

Reactions: fasteddie7
More.. BS I don't believe a single timeline given by musk. We were promised self parking with FSD when I bought my Model S 2 years ago and now they are claiming another year...
You're gonna have to get in line... Summon was supposed to "snake" around your property to find you and go park itself during the dual motor / autopilot 1 keynote. Still waiting for that...

For the most part he has finally been consistent since this summer with his tweets. Instead of 6 weeks though, I say more like 12 weeks. But I do believe it actually coming very soon and not 12 months from now.

Regardless of timeline, all of this sounds terrific for Summon. But then I ask: how does this miraculously happen when I cannot get Summon and my smartphones to connect standing right next to the vehicle? What is going to change to make connectivity issues go away completely while I’m taking my car for a walk in R/C mode?

Reactions: 1375mlm
Regardless of timeline, all of this sounds terrific for Summon. But then I ask: how does this miraculously happen when I cannot get Summon and my smartphones to connect standing right next to the vehicle? What is going to change to make connectivity issues go away completely while I’m taking my car for a walk in R/C mode?

Short answer; it won't and nothing Tesla does is going to completely change connectivity issues. Some of those are completely out of their hands.