Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Says FSD Beta is ‘Not Great’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said its latest beta version of its Full Self Driving software is “not great.”

Musk was replying to a video praising the new self-driving software. Musk said Tesla employees have urgency to improve the system.

“FSD Beta 9.2 is actually not great imo, but Autopilot/AI team is rallying to improve as fast as possible,” he tweeted. “We’re trying to have a single stack for both highway & city streets, but it requires massive NN retraining.”

Tesla sells FSD for $10,000 or a $199 per month subscription. The beta version of the FSD software has only been rolled out to small number of owners and employees to test the software.

Musk’s admission on Monday follows an announcement last week that the National Transportation Safety Board has launched a formal investigation into Tesla’s Autopilot system, saying Tesla vehicles using Autopilot have caused 11 crashes with first responder vehicles in the U.S.

Tesla also hosted its AI Day last week where it touted a chip designed specifically for training artificial intelligence to identify a variety of obstacles. But, it seems there remains work to be done for Tesla to meet its full-self-driving promise.

tesla interior.jpg

I think this may have been more Musk's way of criticizing the Ford BlueCruise system i.e., FSD beta "isn't great" which means Ford BlueCruise must really suck.
Watch the Munro test drive. All BlueCruise did was stay in lane on a freeway and follow the car in front. That's it .. nothing else. It also disengaged when the car took a curve (on the freeway!). No auto lane change, not even lane change assist. No navigation tie-in at all. Sandy was pretty blunt about it.

As others noted, what Elon was saying (I think) is "Look, right now FSD isnt anywhere close to what we plan on delivering, and yet its still Muro thinks even in this early beta state ints still way ahead of Ford". Of course, the press are having a field day, but of this is the same press that swallowed all the "Tesla building a robot" stuff.

Watch the Munro test drive. All BlueCruise did was stay in lane on a freeway and follow the car in front. That's it .. nothing else. It also disengaged when the car took a curve (on the freeway!). No auto lane change, not even lane change assist. No navigation tie-in at all. Sandy was pretty blunt about it.

As others noted, what Elon was saying (I think) is "Look, right now FSD isnt anywhere close to what we plan on delivering, and yet its still Muro thinks even in this early beta state ints still way ahead of Ford". Of course, the press are having a field day, but of this is the same press that swallowed all the "Tesla building a robot" stuff.
That BlueCruise video looked fairly lame, for the reasons you listed. Compared to the MobilEye, AutoX videos it's very basic, and practically useless. It's too bad none of the major automakers in North America yet have a Level 2 system that matches the Level 4 systems of those companies. Even if Level 2 has the problem of distracted driver, and those Level 4 systems are still in R&D, the commercially available systems here just aren't as good.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said its latest beta version of its Full Self Driving software is “not great.”

Musk was replying to a video praising the new self-driving software. Musk said Tesla employees have urgency to improve the system.

“FSD Beta 9.2 is actually not great imo, but Autopilot/AI team is rallying to improve as fast as possible,” he tweeted. “We’re trying to have a single stack for both highway & city streets, but it requires massive NN retraining.”

Tesla sells FSD for $10,000 or a $199 per month subscription. The beta version of the FSD software has only been rolled out to small number of owners and employees to test the software.

Musk’s admission on Monday follows an announcement last week that the National Transportation Safety Board has launched a formal investigation into Tesla’s Autopilot system, saying Tesla vehicles using Autopilot have caused 11 crashes with first responder vehicles in the U.S.

Tesla also hosted its AI Day last week where it touted a chip designed specifically for training artificial intelligence to identify a variety of obstacles. But, it seems there remains work to be done for Tesla to meet its full-self-driving promise.

View attachment 748661
Two years later and that would still be an accurate statement from Elon.

Quite a few drives today - I don’t think there was a disengagement. couple of interventions to make FSD not wait too long.

I don’t think you will call it great until FSD is completely solved and Tesla is taking responsibility. I call that the “holy grail” ;)
L3 at least, considering L5 was promised nearly eight years ago. 11.4.2 is one of the smoother releases I’ve seen (for a refreshed model S/X). Will try 11.4.3, when it arrives.

L3 at least, considering L5 was promised nearly eight years ago.

<citation required>

FSD wasn't even announced as a product 8 years ago. Or 7 years ago. Oct 2016 was when that happened.

And it never promised L5 (you could potentially argue it was implied, but I think if you got to a court you would have trouble proving more than L4 was promised... and they only promised THAT to people who bought between Oct 2016 and March 2019, not anybody since who have only been promised L2.

None of which changes the fact Elon is still hilariously late on delivering Teslas promises here, even if you're exaggerating both the timeline and breadth of those promises.

<citation required>

FSD wasn't even announced as a product 8 years ago. Or 7 years ago. Oct 2016 was when that happened.

And it never promised L5 (you could potentially argue it was implied, but I think if you got to a court you would have trouble proving more than L4 was promised... and they only promised THAT to people who bought between Oct 2016 and March 2019, not anybody since who have only been promised L2.

None of which changes the fact Elon is still hilariously late on delivering Teslas promises here, even if you're exaggerating both the timeline and breadth of those promises.
Elmo himself stated that the robotaxi service, Tesla Network, would be L5, on several occasions

Elmo himself stated that the robotaxi service, Tesla Network, would be L5, on several occasions

You appear to be confusing "thing you were actually promised in the product description of the thing you bought- in writing" and "some forward looking aspirational stuff the CEO said out loud once in a while"

Legally those are vastly different things.

Screen shot of what buyers were actually promised when they bought it from launch to ~March 2019 below:

fsdprom.png

As I say earlier you could possibly argue that's L5, but you can even more easily argue the "almost all circumstances" disclaimer would let them satisfy that with an L4 system as long as the ODD wasn't onerously narrow.

And buyers SINCE April 2019 have never been promised any more than L2- as shown below (the wording of the city streets bit has changed a bit over time, but the L2 aspects have not)

fsdv5_L2.png