Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says German Tesla Model Y Will Be 'Radical Redesign Of Building A Car'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
He said that in an improvised press conference at the Giga Berlin site. The Tesla Model Y was born with massive expectations on its shoulders. It should have presented a revolutionary wiring harness system and massive cast parts. Although it had the cast parts, its standard wiring harness disappointed Sandy Munro when he tore the...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/09/03/german-model-y-radical-redesign-building-car/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Who knows what Elon is actually referring to.. could be almost anything. I doubt it's the one-piece mega casting as that is supposedly already being used in USA production vehicles. A new wiring bus with addressable components all on a single network or something similar to an I2C circuit? Maybe, but that would require all new electro-mechanical component interfaces. Guess we'll know soon enough....

Green field thinking is expected from the center of European automotive design--no issue with "not invented here" ideas getting shutdown.

Continuous and rapid improvements are mandatory.

You've got Fremont and Shanghai working on improving vehicles design, assembly, manufacturing, production, processes, ... simultaneously right now. They're going to add Berlin soon and there are extremely high expectations. Then Austin.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Who knows what Elon is actually referring to.. could be almost anything. I doubt it's the one-piece mega casting as that is supposedly already being used in USA production vehicles. A new wiring bus with addressable components all on a single network or something similar to an I2C circuit? Maybe, but that would require all new electro-mechanical component interfaces. Guess we'll know soon enough....

Tesla already detailed the technology in earlier discussions and patent filings. It's basically a bus+power distribution system optimized for robot assembly that reduces wire harness bulk and weight (and simplifies service etc thanks to reduced connectivity among car sub-systems.

• Informative
Reactions: NY_Rob
Green field thinking is expected from the center of European automotive design--no issue with "not invented here" ideas getting shutdown.

Continuous and rapid improvements are mandatory.

You've got Fremont and Shanghai working on improving vehicles design, assembly, manufacturing, production, processes, ... simultaneously right now. They're going to add Berlin soon and there are extremely high expectations. Then Austin.
Tesla has many great disruption impacts (and a couple not so great). They’re making manufacturing engineering a much more alluring speciality. Companies will need to match Tesla’s intellectual investment in the machine that makes the machine.

Yes, real engineering and problem solving that's typically outsourced. Tesla isn't just waiting for the various manufacturing, mechanical, metallurgical, electrical,... OEMs to do all of the thinking and come in with the lowest bid so they can slap things together, turn a screw driver, and throw on a coat of paint. Tesla has shown they're willing to do things themselves if and when they have to. They're not resistant to reaching into their pocket and spending money to get what they need.

(Something that was unsaid, but probably understood--
Fremont did the development and assembly of the S, 3, X, and Y. They were out of room a long time ago and were forced to do a bunch of crazy stuff to make it work. Shanghai and Berlin aren't going to have these problems so their productivity MUST be much greater than Fremont. Fremont is providing the initial production design and lessons learned with a substantial list of things NOT to do.)

Tesla has many great disruption impacts (and a couple not so great). They’re making manufacturing engineering a much more alluring speciality. Companies will need to match Tesla’s intellectual investment in the machine that makes the machine.

Yes, real engineering and problem solving that's typically outsourced. Tesla isn't just waiting for the various manufacturing, mechanical, metallurgical, electrical,... OEMs to do all of the thinking and come in with the lowest bid so they can slap things together, turn a screw driver, and throw on a coat of paint. Tesla has shown they're willing to do things themselves if and when they have to. They're not resistant to reaching into their pocket and spending money to get what they need.

(Something that was unsaid, but probably understood--
Fremont did the development and assembly of the S, 3, X, and Y. They were out of room a long time ago and were forced to do a bunch of crazy stuff to make it work. Shanghai and Berlin aren't going to have these problems so their productivity MUST be much greater than Fremont. Fremont is providing the initial production design and lessons learned with a substantial list of things NOT to do.)
Many great points you’ve made.

This is the kind of moat Tesla has that people like Bob Lutz don’t acknowledge. This cultural advantage will only get bigger imo. If you’re an innovator, who are you going to work for, Tesla or the horizontal, bureaucratic slow, legacies?

He said that in an improvised press conference at the Giga Berlin site. The Tesla Model Y was born with massive expectations on its shoulders. It should have presented a revolutionary wiring harness system and massive cast parts. Although it had the cast parts, its standard wiring harness disappointed Sandy Munro when he tore the...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/09/03/german-model-y-radical-redesign-building-car/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Once I learn what Berlin is doing differently with MY... and then if or when those improvements will be brought back to the US... only then will I decide when to buy. I was going to buy a MY when my ICE lease expires in March 2021 (put down $2500 dep last year)... but Musk announcement about Berlin... this changes my timeline to buy.

Reactions: Eddie1424
Agreed. The industry has changed so much since people were laughing off Tesla and waiting for its imminent bankruptcy.

Tesla has been going more vertical--owning and building things themselves. Actually innovating and spending money. People get excited when they hear about what Tesla is up-to.
The ICE manufacturers went with the bean counters a long time ago trying to maximize profits by minimizing development costs.

Lutz and others like him need to try to keep GM and other ICE manufacturers relevant as the industry progresses, even if the only thing they can provide is hope and false hype thrown in with some Tesla FUD. I hope they can survive, but their years of missteps and executive mismanagement hasn't helped.

This has been brought-up for years, but what's the ICE manufacturers counter to Tesla's Supercharger network? Minimizing spending by teaming-up with Electrified America and other small service providers who likewise try to minimize spending by building out slowly... (sigh)

Tesla has already woken up a sleepy auto industry in Europe. I'm really excited to see what comes out of Tesla Berlin.

This is the kind of moat Tesla has that people like Bob Lutz don’t acknowledge. This cultural advantage will only get bigger imo. If you’re an innovator, who are you going to work for, Tesla or the horizontal, bureaucratic slow, legacies?

Once I learn what Berlin is doing differently with MY... and then if or when those improvements will be brought back to the US... only then will I decide when to buy. I was going to buy a MY when my ICE lease expires in March 2021 (put down $2500 dep last year)... but Musk announcement about Berlin... this changes my timeline to buy.

I hope you realize there is a limit how long you can delay your Tesla order. It’s 6 IIRC