Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Talks Trucks, Heartbreak in Rolling Stone Profile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lengthy profile of Elon Musk by Rolling Stone offers new, but vague, details of the Tesla semi truck and says Musk was “morbid” on the day of the Model 3 launch.

The article explains that Tesla’s goal “isn’t to reinvent the truck, but to create the best one, whether or not it’s similar to past trucks.” The reporter joined Tesla VP of Engineering Doug Field, CTO JB Straubel, design chief Franz von Holzhausen, and VP of Trucks Jerome Guillen as Musk examined a new configuration of the truck’s cab for the first time.

Guillen explains the idea behind the truck: “We just thought, ‘What do people want? They want reliability. They want the lowest cost. And they want driver comfort.’ So we reimagined the truck.”

Tesla was particularly sensitive that the article not go into detail about a “driver-comfort feature” of the truck.

“Probably no one will buy it because of this,” Musk tells his team. “But if you’re going to make a product, make it beautiful. Even if it doesn’t affect sales, I want it to be beautiful.”

Musk was also quite forthcoming about his personal life and how it impacts his efforts. Musk and former girlfriend actress Amber Heard parted ways just ahead of the Model 3 launch.

The article says it felt “unexpectedly, disappointingly, uncontrollably horrible” for Musk to launch the Model 3:

“I’ve been in severe emotional pain for the last few weeks,” Musk elaborates. “Severe. It took every ounce of will to be able to do the Model 3 event and not look like the most depressed guy around. For most of that day, I was morbid. And then I had to psych myself up: drink a couple of Red Bulls, hang out with positive people and then, like, tell myself: ‘I have all these people depending on me. All right, do it!'”

Musk is known for aggressive deadlines that are difficult live up to. Every Tesla vehicle has been delayed, the most recent being the Model 3, which has a backlog of nearly half-a-million reservations. He offered a defense in the article:

“Better to do something good and be late than bad and be early,” he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
"They want reliability. They want the lowest cost. And they want driver comfort."

Meh...

They want capability. They want range. They will pay a premium.

Those 'wants' listed by Elon apply to sedans, not trucks. Maybe he should watch a few trucks commercials. They all look the
same:
Truck gets rocks dumped in the back then climbs up a mountain. (capability)
Truck tows a boat 1000 miles. (range)
Truck with highest price is the one to get. ($$$$$$$)

Aren't we speaking of a semi-trailer truck here ("automotive vehicle with a short chassis equipped with a swivel for attaching a trailer and used especially for the highway hauling of freight"), and not a pickup truck ("a light truck having an enclosed cab and an open body with low sides and tailgate")?

Two very different markets, I would agree :)

Reactions: gene

I think you're mixing up pickup trucks. Elon is talking about Semi trucks of the container-hauling class (which definitely don't want any of rocks dumped on them, boats to tow, or high prices to pay).
Stickers - sure, go wrap your truck and make it all optimus prime-y flames if that's where you want to spend your $$ (What do I know... but then again my high-income country trucking knowledge is limited to this source)
Edit Just realized Emojis don't work here :(

My bad. I thought it was future pickup.

We will see how Class 8 EVs work out. There are some on the road already.

Will the batteries/inverter/motors last 1,000,000 miles? This is what is expected today in Class 8's.
Will the batteries reduce the payload? Weight is something they focus on with Class 8's. The more an empty truck weighs, the less cargo you can carry.
Will the cost of capital, assuming the EV is more money, remove any possible operational cost benefits?
Will Demand Based Metering for electrical costs make it cost too much to refuel during the day? This is expanding.

Elon is talking about the new Tesla long distance commercial truck for hauling semi trailers. No need to be so dismissive of Elon’s analysis when you have missed the context of the statements.
"They want reliability. They want the lowest cost. And they want driver comfort."

Meh...

Those 'wants' listed by Elon apply to sedans, not trucks. Maybe he should watch a few trucks commercials. They all look the
same:

Excellent article. I feel bad for the guy who clearly got his heart broken in the lead up to the Model 3 release.

Elon, if you're reading this. You're doing just fine. Eventually, you'll find the "one." Thanks for pulling it together for the Model 3 event. Please take some public speaking lessons. Sometimes it's painful to watch when we all know what a little polishing would do to the wonderful ideas and products you have.

That's all.

Ah I'll be dismissive in another way...
They want cheap. They want reliable. They want no drivers. *see cheap

They want cheap, yes. But that doesn't mean "cheap to buy". It means low total cost to own/operate. If they get it right, an electric rig could destroy a diesel rig, even if it were twice the purchase price.

No drivers... well, yes. But we're nowhere near that.

Elon... Poor guy. Makes sense though. His short appearance and lack of captivating excitement makes sense now

Yeah... but you do have to admit that he's got unusual taste in women if he's looking for a long term, stable "soul-mate". If stability is your goal then the drop-dead gorgeous hollywood actress crowd is probably not the best pond to be fishing in.

Of course, what the heck do I know?

• Funny
Reactions: BuildingCap

Meh...

same:

I think sir, you are an idiot with a low IQ who is easily confused!

Reactions: gaswalla
Yeah... but you do have to admit that he's got unusual taste in women if he's looking for a long term, stable "soul-mate". If stability is your goal then the drop-dead gorgeous hollywood actress crowd is probably not the best pond to be fishing in.

Of course, what the heck do I know?

Indeed.

I've decided to move on from EAP analysis to match-making, so I've got a new motivational picture to identify the problem first...

Leisure_Suit_Larry_2.png

My bad. I thought it was future pickup.

We will see how Class 8 EVs work out. There are some on the road already.

Will the batteries/inverter/motors last 1,000,000 miles? This is what is expected today in Class 8's.
Will the batteries reduce the payload? Weight is something they focus on with Class 8's. The more an empty truck weighs, the less cargo you can carry.
Will the cost of capital, assuming the EV is more money, remove any possible operational cost benefits?
Will Demand Based Metering for electrical costs make it cost too much to refuel during the day? This is expanding.
I'm involved in this area of trucking and Elon isn't the first to look at this, but electric Class 8 trucks for long haul isn't practical because of the recharging infrastructure required. Short haul or regional might be viable, but I'm not sure what market he's targeting. I was at a show earlier this year in Long Beach with many trucks on display showing different "green" solutions, and there was also an all-electric city bus. It was zoomy looking, but it's price tag of over $300,000 left people staggering.

pdq

I'm involved in this area of trucking and Elon isn't the first to look at this, but electric Class 8 trucks for long haul isn't practical because of the recharging infrastructure required. Short haul or regional might be viable, but I'm not sure what market he's targeting. I was at a show earlier this year in Long Beach with many trucks on display showing different "green" solutions, and there was also an all-electric city bus. It was zoomy looking, but it's price tag of over $300,000 left people staggering.

pdq

I'm not even sure short haul could be cost effective today. Someday, perhaps.

The rollout of Demand Based Metering for smaller customers like EV charging sites could kill off any operational savings. Demand based metering = You pay mostly for the current, not the kWh. ie - Charging for 60 minutes at 150 kW can be far cheaper than charging at 30 minutes at 300 kW even though in both situations you are buying 150 kWh worth of power. This happens because there is an added fee for higher peak demand. This is already true for medium and large businesses, and even some small businesses (ARRGGHH!!). At my business it is $17.32 a kW plus actual kWh's used. So 300 kW would cost me $5,196 a month plus whatever power I actually consumed. 150kW would be $2,598 plus the same $/kWh of power used. $2,598 buys 866 gallons of fuel.

Demand Metering is potentially the biggest threat to DCFC technology today. And it hit heavy trucks harder than it hit cars.