Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk tweets, traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts are in testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this doesn't make any sense. Is it confirmed to be included in EAP (no FSD needed) ???

View attachment 359663

I am pretty sure the sentence "your tesla will be able to go from your garage at home to your work with no driver input" is referring to FSD since that matches how FSD was described on the website. So that part is most certainly only for purchasers of the FSD option. Whether or not autopilot will get the traffic light and stop sign recognition without FSD, that is another matter. I always assumed that was also just for FSD but who knows. I guess it could be for non-FSD too.

He said that FSD requires hardware 3. Nothing else as far as I can see.

He said:

"Full self-driving option is required with the Tesla designed hardware 3 computer."

That means:

1) You need to pay for Full self-driving option

AND

2) make sure the computer is hardware 3.

It's important to mentioned both because:

Those who already did pay for Full self-driving option for $3,000 pre-delivery and $4,000 (prior to 6/27/2018) to $5,000 (now) post-delivery would get an upgrade to hardware 3 with no additional cost.

That leaves the rest of many owners who have not paid for Full self-driving option up in the air regarding any potential price changes in future as they all do not have hardware 3 now.

As usual, Tesla's history does not reward procrastinators and those who already paid the option timely would lock in the deal with the guarantee.

Last edited:
What? You quoted it yourself "Full self driving option is required..." is how the quote you posted starts?

I interpreted it as it was required with hardware 3, not the roundabouts and stuff. Clear as mud

I am pretty sure the sentence "your tesla will be able to go from your garage at home to your work with no driver input" is referring to FSD since that matches how FSD was described on the website. So that part is most certainly only for purchasers of the FSD option. Whether or not autopilot will get the traffic light and stop sign recognition without FSD, that is another matter. I always assumed that was also just for FSD but who knows. I guess it could be for non-FSD too.

I have friends with their car configured and waiting for production that are on the fence with FSD. Boring if the feature is released with roundabouts and they missed it because they didn't order FSD.

I think you're the only person who interpreted it as unclear. They're clearly FSD features and the FSD option clearly needs to have been purchased.

Well not only me :):

Many people thought Drive on NAV / NoA was FSD only too, but it turned out to be EAP. Just sayin'.
I personally also think it will be FSD.

Elon's tweets mean nothing anymore, other than he's having a sleepless night maybe. He tweeted so many things which never came, even though the tweets clearly said soon, or even specific timelines like 3 months, 6 months, end of year. My AP1 car is still not finding me anywhere on private property like Elon told us during launch, it doesn't produce 691hp like Elon tweeted (to be fair, he tweeted 700hp P85D, the website said 691hp), it doesn't have an SDK for me to write my own apps which was "just around the corner" in 2013, etc, etc. Evidently his work on a time machine didn't work either or he would have gone back to fulfill his "coast to coast FSD demo by end of 2017". Elon is a really capable guy who can accomplish a lot more than most people, but his ego and boasting has outgrown his capabilities a while back. Let's hold our praises for whatever he actually delivers, because it can be very different than what he tweets, for example "AP1 will find you anywhere on private property" when finally delivered turned out to mean "the car will drive up to 40 feet in a straight line while you hold a dead-man's switch making sure it doesn't hit anything".

The difference between this tweet and gross exaggerations like you can summon your car from NY while in LA is that the technology to detect lights, stop signs, etc already exists with other self driving cars. So it’s not a stretch to believe it can come to our Tesla’s at some point. That fact that he’s openly talking about it again is encouraging to me. This is the next major leap for AP and I for one can’t wait to get it.

• Funny
Reactions: whitex and emmz0r
The difference between this tweet and gross exaggerations like you can summon your car from NY while in LA is that the technology to detect lights, stop signs, etc already exists with other self driving cars. So it’s not a stretch to believe it can come to our Tesla’s at some point. That fact that he’s openly talking about it again is encouraging to me. This is the next major leap for AP and I for one can’t wait to get it.
LOL. I guess you've had you coolaid today. No company has the technology to do this coast to coast summon today, not even Waymo (Google) who have the most advanced self driving tech on the roads today. If you are thinking to argue "but, but, we have computer technology which one day will run software which will be written to do this", they sure, cavemen had the technology too, they had sand which can one day was processed into silicon and made into chips - they had the tech, all it took was for someone to figure out how to make the chip, right? Elon has you snowed. If the had the tech, he would have done the FSD coast to coast demo he tweeted proudly to be done by end of 2017. It doesn't require any government regulation, and they can even pick a route so it only has to work on tiny fraction of possible coast to coast routes. But, he didn't have the tech and still doesn't. I will give one thing to him, he's a good showman, with his tweets he's had people like you convinced that he's been sitting on the technology since 2016 (remember the Tesla FSD video?).

LOL. I guess you've had you coolaid today. No company has the technology to do this coast to coast summon today, not even Waymo (Google) who have the most advanced self driving tech on the roads today. If you are thinking to argue "but, but, we have computer technology which one day will run software which will be written to do this", they sure, cavemen had the technology too, they had sand which can one day was processed into silicon and made into chips - they had the tech, all it took was for someone to figure out how to make the chip, right? Elon has you snowed. If the had the tech, he would have done the FSD coast to coast demo he tweeted proudly to be done by end of 2017. It doesn't require any government regulation, and they can even pick a route so it only has to work on tiny fraction of possible coast to coast routes. But, he didn't have the tech and still doesn't. I will give one thing to him, he's a good showman, with his tweets he's had people like you convinced that he's been sitting on the technology since 2016 (remember the Tesla FSD video?).
Calm down, drink your coffee, and maybe learn to read. I didn’t say that.

I don't get why he doesn't just shut up about stuff until it is ready to release.

What possible advantage does it bring him to promise stuff he doesn't know for sure that he can deliver?

If he had never made any of the predictions for EAP and FSD, everybody would just be happy when new features came out because they had no preconceived ideas about future features.

I don't get why he doesn't just shut up about stuff until it is ready to release.

What possible advantage does it bring him to promise stuff he doesn't know for sure that he can deliver?

If he had never made any of the predictions for EAP and FSD, everybody would just be happy when new features came out because they had no preconceived ideas about future features.

It's called hype. And there is the obvious marketing benefit of boosting sales. But also, I think Musk just gets really excited when he tests new features in his car and has to share it with the world! We'd be tempted to do the same thing too. If I gave you a Model S or 3 with the latest development software in it that could stop at traffic lights, you'd be super excited too!