Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A significant announcement was the confirmation of investment into the public charging network - for Europe, Ionity.
400 150 kWh chargers throughout Europe.
Whilst it may have been tempting to create their own network, like Tesla, sharing the cost amongst other manufacturers has clear advantages. Additionally, I remain to be convinced that just 400 chargers for the whole of Europe is sufficient to support the number of electric cars that Ford intend to sell over the next 2 years.
With just 3 of these chargers in the UK at the moment they need to get a wiggle on.
Ford are offering free charging at these chargers using Fordpass for Ford buyers - although the precise detail of this for UK buyers remains a little sketchy.

Reactions: Yev000 and GSP
A significant announcement was the confirmation of investment into the public charging network - for Europe, Ionity.
Whilst it may have been tempting to create their own network, like Tesla, sharing the cost amongst other manufacturers has clear advantages. Additionally, I remain to be convinced that just 400 chargers for the whole of Europe is sufficient to support the number of electric cars that Ford intend to sell over the next 2 years.
With just 3 of these chargers in the UK at the moment they need to get a wiggle on.
Ford are offering free charging at these chargers using Fordpass for Ford buyers - although the precise detail of this for UK buyers remains a little sketchy.

I didn't see that bit. Was it 400 chargers or 400 sites? In any event what matters is whether other legacy car makers join that initiative. If they all decided to invest in 400 ionity chargers per company then it would start to make a difference. On emight start to see soem of the petrol chains joining in with teir sites to create more service, retail and recharge centres....
It wa snever going to be an instant transition. Perhaps the only downside is that it allows Tesla to get away without expanding their own network europe. We have enough Tesla dead spots UK as is.

No one else will ever create another dedicated network now. it's too late they would never see the benefit even if they were allowed which is doubtful. I don't even think the Supercharger network will be sustainable in its current form long term once generic 350KWh chargers are ubiquitous. Even if the EU don't legislatively eventually force Tesla to open it up which the probably will.

No one else will ever create another dedicated network now. it's too late they would never see the benefit even if they were allowed which is doubtful. I don't even think the Supercharger network will be sustainable in its current form long term once generic 350KWh chargers are ubiquitous. Even if the EU don't legislatively eventually force Tesla to open it up which the probably will.

Remember that Tesla's newest superchargers are 250 kW, and actually achieves that speed. So, practically speaking it is just as good as 350 kW CCS chargers which don't actually get to 350 kW in practice.

But I agree that eventually charging will become commoditised, and the benefit to Tesla of maintaining their own dedicated network will erode. At that point, I could see them opening it up to all vehicles and/or selling it off.

How about a Capri E instead

Attachments

• FC9BD980-13C2-4B11-98FD-B7DAF3932248.jpeg
    FC9BD980-13C2-4B11-98FD-B7DAF3932248.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 45
Personally i cant see any other manufacturer can beat Tesla. Supercharging station for one. All other fast charger is a faff. Maybe in 10yrs it will be fine. The next is the infotainment on the tesla. No other cars have games or netflix/youtube on a large screen where you can play whilst charging. Not even in a 150k Taycan turbo s.

Reactions: pow216 and Yev000
Personally i cant see any other manufacturer can beat Tesla. Supercharging station for one. All other fast charger is a faff. Maybe in 10yrs it will be fine. The next is the infotainment on the tesla. No other cars have games or netflix/youtube on a large screen where you can play whilst charging. Not even in a 150k Taycan turbo s.

If you're paying £100K for a car then £few hundred for a laptop isn't a deal breaker. I'm happy enough with movies loaded on my phone.
The supercharger network is the big plus except for desert areas UK. If the legacy car manufactuers got together they could create a joint effort and catch up fast.

I like it. Looks pretty good, reasonably priced, decent range and another move to zero emissions.

Loving my Model 3 but I’d have certainly taken a serious look at this if it was an option this summer when I ordered.

Although I do think that Tesla’s supercharger network remains a key USP that others will struggle to replicate.

I like it. Looks pretty good, reasonably priced, decent range and another move to zero emissions.

Loving my Model 3 but I’d have certainly taken a serious look at this if it was an option this summer when I ordered.

Although I do think that Tesla’s supercharger network remains a key USP that others will struggle to replicate.

Reasonably priced! I just specced a long range to £58k. It’s a great effort but at that price point I think they will struggle. Imagine what the GT will cost?!

Reactions: jimbo_hippo