Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX beyond 40K Miles is Expensive to Maintain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone replaced all 4 tires at the SC and had them do wheel alignment recently? SC is charging a total of $1450 to replace all 4 tires including labor!

I am having them replace with the same Continental tires that came from factory, not upgraded ones. Is it possible to get the tires replaced elsewhere for cheaper and have wheel alignment done for an MX?

Should I order tires myself and have them shipped to the SC since my car will be at the SC for some other issue? If anyone knows how and where to order for shipping direct to an SC in California please post links.

Mine are just standard Contis:

265/45R20 CCLXS T0 for the front
275/45R20 CCLXS T0 for rear

I have gotten my model X aligned at Firestone. Some of the Firestones around here will not service a Tesla, but the one down the street from the Tesla Service Center does.

I believe the stock continentals cost about $1200 at Tire Rack. It’s a while since I checked. So $1450 including mounting and balancing is not terribly out of line.

There are several threads on here about other tire options that many have liked better than the Continentals.

• Informative
Reactions: LoveMX
Has anyone replaced all 4 tires at the SC and had them do wheel alignment recently? SC is charging a total of $1450 to replace all 4 tires including labor!

I am having them replace with the same Continental tires that came from factory, not upgraded ones. Is it possible to get the tires replaced elsewhere for cheaper and have wheel alignment done for an MX?
Yes. Go ANYWHERE else and it will be cheaper.

Why would you have wear and tear items replaced at a stealership?

I used to have mobile service do it. $50/tire, not that bad, and they come to you, so very convenient. Now that some of the Costco does Teslas. I have Costco to do tires on my 3 earlier this year and they told me they also work on the X. So next round of tire needs, I'll probably hit up Costco.

Tirerack can drop ship tires to anywhere you want. I used to have them ship to SC directly, works out fine, SC charges me $50/tire install fee. I just tell the service rep when to expect the tires, and if I need to ship it to a specific person's attention.

-ThinkMac-

• Informative
I just ordered a set of Nexen Roadian GTX tires (newer tire from Nexen) that have a 70k mile tread life. Supposed to be quiet and energy efficient. $571 for all 4; including tax. Mine are 20” tires. Installation (locally) will cost me about $75. Consumer Reports rated them Excellent or Very Good in the key categories I care about (noise, hydroplaning, braking, rolling resistance). Once they’re installed and I use them for a while, I’ll review them in depth. They were also selected as OEM tires for the 2021 Kia Sorrento & Sedona, Mitsubishi Outlander, and Hyundai Tucson (I know, I know...save your comments). But hey, SOMEBODY obviously has faith in them.

Last edited:
I've always used Discount Tire for both our MX and M3. Initially I took in a set of jack pads and a copy of the lifting instructions, but found out our local DT was familiar with Teslas.
I had an alignment done at 40k miles in the MX (now at 60k) by Tesla under the prepaid maintenance plan. The wheels were out of alignment and adjusted. Without being able to rotate X tires, the alignment is a good idea, but I recommend having Tesla do it after you buy and install new tires at a local tire store, not Tesla.

• Informative

That's cheaper than what my SC quoted me. Mine was quoted above $3000.

I ended up getting the tires replaced - order online and mounted at a local tire shop for about $900 total that includes parts, labor, and new tpms sensors. Aligment still cost me just shy of $400 from the SC.