Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX HW2 detects overpasses as a car and hard breaks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Recently on a road trip the car breaked hard in the middle of the highway just before an overpass, it also happen when I passed under some sort of metal structure used for signs.
We were lucky no car was behind us.

Anyone else with a similar experience?

From what I read the car slows down suddenly by 5mph so I'm guessing that the element of surprise makes one think it's harder then it really is.

In Japan AP2 hasn't been deployed yet but we can use TACC with my HW2 model X. The braking issue is happening every day in every road I drive in Tokyo. We have many overhead signs, over and under passes, underground highway interchanges and huge traffic signs everywhere. I have driven AP1 loaner and it worked just fine. I can reproduce the problem 100 times a day if I wish.

Driving in Tokyo must be fun! I believe you should provide feedback to Tesla to speed up the whitelisting of these locations. Tesla can pull your logs and likely separate the forward collision warning incidents and their GPS coordinates. You can either email autopilot feedback (can't find the address but it is in the release notes for the first version you got) or press the voice button on the steering wheel and say bug report or note to Tesla and then say something like false forward collision warning and note the time and location.

I'm not sure how it works outside North America though. I've had two fcw hard braking in Chicago. I've even given those same roads several times with TACC and it was a fluke combo of factors I guess. It isn't reproducible because I've subsequently driven many times since without issue. I hope they can put these to bed like with AP1.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Driving in Tokyo must be fun! I believe you should provide feedback to Tesla to speed up the whitelisting of these locations. Tesla can pull your logs and likely separate the forward collision warning incidents and their GPS coordinates. You can either email autopilot feedback (can't find the address but it is in the release notes for the first version you got) or press the voice button on the steering wheel and say bug report or note to Tesla and then say something like false forward collision warning and note the time and location.

I'm not sure how it works outside North America though. I've had two fcw hard braking in Chicago. I've even given those same roads several times with TACC and it was a fluke combo of factors I guess. It isn't reproducible because I've subsequently driven many times since without issue. I hope they can put these to bed like with AP1.
Heads up, got FCW from a sign while heading West on 90/94 near Montrose about an hour ago. My X hit its breaks and slowed at least 6mph, and I almost got rear-ended.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Same type of issues here in The Netherlands. Already sent a dashcam video w/ coordinates and everything on one of those occurrences to the AP feedback email address. "Luckily" I lost all convenience features including TACC when the update to 17.7.2 failed last Monday, so I don't have to worry about it for now....

• Informative
Reactions: sinv

Myself being not a professional in AP, but I guess whitelisting won't work because there are so many overhead signs etc here. TACC even responds to slight ups and downs of the road and apply brakes especially the road is going up. It also brakes in left curves when I drive in the right lane (RWD). I think our roads are too narrow for AP2 yet...

Hi,

Recently on a road trip the car breaked hard in the middle of the highway just before an overpass, it also happen when I passed under some sort of metal structure used for signs.

Very similar experience.

On both DC to Princeton, NJ, and Princeton, NJ to Groton, CT drives.

When in rain and traffic (on the way down) I did not notice it.
On way up (summy and no traffic) happened several times in the speed two lanes sections between DC and Baltimore. I was always ready to over-accelerate. Every time, it detected a phantom car and brake violently while beeping.
That was BEFORE the before latest upgrade.

Today, sunny, interstate, going 75mph, got a slight brake under i(% overpass which is traveled by many teslas every day.

Last edited:
For me it the collision warning went off and the car breaked really hard. Kind of scarry

The weird part is that it happend just north of LA, not in Oregon. I had no issues from North Cali to Oregon.
Hi,

braked no breaked

• Helpful
Reactions: stefan.bc
Same type of issues here in The Netherlands. Already sent a dashcam video w/ coordinates and everything on one of those occurrences to the AP feedback email address. "Luckily" I lost all convenience features including TACC when the update to 17.7.2 failed last Monday, so I don't have to worry about it for now....
No bridge issues yet, but today nearing a red light with one car in each of 3 lanes, a car in the slow lane came at a 45 degree angle trying to switch from the slow to the middle lane. AP didn't see it at all, so yours truly had to brake hard. I'd prefer brakes for nothing than not braking for somethinig. But we had that happen too.

Tapping brake is most likely just laying off accelerator and regen braking. I have no problem with that. It's the hard fcw braking that's a real issue. Shouldn't randomly happen either. It seems fine and then it happens out of the blue on roads where you've driven everyday. Same lane same timings.

I wonder if the HW2 in current mode borrows technologies from a FOD radar and tries to avoid (at least for a short moment try to) anything suspicious in its path. Elon should find this technology useful when touring the asteroid belt, or when autopiloting flying cars in a 3-dimensional traffic system. Put /s aside. Anyway, we have to root for an HWx/APx outsmart human many times otherwise it's DOA or not enough, and no wonder we need to update the hardware every several months.

It's like wearing a VR headset walking at home. We will need every camera to accurately build/model its own world and do adjustment some hundreds times a second (considering the traveling speed, vibration, and even the earth's rotation). Gotta steal some latest development from the VR community as these are about the same thing...

This is the flip side of the Florida crash issue. Tesla made the car more sensitive to these sorts of obstacles, leaning more on the 'truck' interpretation, than the 'sign' one. This is precisely the behavior that should be expected. Instead of writing or calling Tesla, send the info directly: go through that location numerous times and reinforce that it is a sign (by accelerating through it), and get it into the whitelist.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: nnick01