Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

mx is too fast for me... dangerously fun?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi y all

i ve owned my nonperformance mx uncorked for only 3 months now and i ve noticed i ve grown addicted to goin fast...

i really need to know if this is just me or does anyone else out there think that the mx is really a very fast car bc sometimes i hit 90mph so fast that i don t even notice goin that fast bc the acceleration is so quick...

also what s a good way to train myself to go slower so that i don t do anything unsafe in the mx...

thx in advance...

Hi @oldsport ,

It's amazing how fast these electric cars get going...
No vacuum drop, downshift and the other stuff.
It's instant "On."
Current MXLR are 680 horsepower...
That is very much more than needed to overcome rolling resistance
and other physical factors.

Under "Pedals and Steering" one of the first settings is "Acceleration."
Your choices are Chill, Sport, and Insane...
The default I think is Sport...
Change it to Chill and see how you like it...
It's still very quick and trouble may take a while longer to find you.

Good luck,

Shawn

hi y all

i ve owned my nonperformance mx uncorked for only 3 months now and i ve noticed i ve grown addicted to goin fast...

i really need to know if this is just me or does anyone else out there think that the mx is really a very fast car bc sometimes i hit 90mph so fast that i don t even notice goin that fast bc the acceleration is so quick...

also what s a good way to train myself to go slower so that i don t do anything unsafe in the mx...

thx in advance...
Simply put, Welcome to Tesla.

Even Tesla's slowest vehicle can get you in trouble really fast.
Light turns green and I barely touch the accelerator and then look in the rear-view mirror and everyone is far behind me.
Need to pass a car going 55? What ever you do, don't press the accelerator hard!

hi y all

thx in advance...
I mean…you have a speedometer, no? I know my Tesla does.

You could always look at that. Or just put yourself in Chill mode if you cannot be an adult.

hi y all

thx in advance...

You can set the car to chime you when you hit x mph over the speed limit. X can be 0 if you want to be told when you exceeded the speed limit. I'm assuming you're driving a Plaid as the MXLR isn't really that fast, so you can change Plaid to Sport.

If you really want, you can set the maximum speed limit in the car so that you can't exceed rather than simply getting chimed.

Reactions: oldsport
You can set the car to chime you when you hit x mph over the speed limit. X can be 0 if you want to be told when you exceeded the speed limit. I'm assuming you're driving a Plaid as the MXLR isn't really that fast, so you can change Plaid to Sport.

If you really want, you can set the maximum speed limit in the car so that you can't exceed rather than simply getting chimed.
Actually the MXLR is pretty fast. Think of it this way. It has about the same hp and is lighter than the previous generation MX "P" versions. Above 30mph, it is faster than the old MX "P" versions.

The LR also has Chill, Sport and Insane modes as well as the Drag Strip mode. 0-60 is measured without subtracting rollout which makes it look slower than it is. With rollout subtracted it is 3.5 sec...and thats with the software limiter < 30mph. Above 30mph it is indeed insanely fast. Not plaid fast but pretty fast.

Note that in the Plaid version, they already subtract the rollout. The true 0-60 diff between the two is 1 sec.

Anyone coming from a normal ICE car, the MXLR will seem very very fast.

Reactions: oldsport
The best adjustment for seat and steering column to launch isn’t the same as normal comfort cruising position…
Are your elbows bent when pressed back hard in your seat? Don’t want the wheel pulling out of your hands when you launch.

i ll have to try that next time w bent elbows then... maybe it s just the ppl around me moving so slow that worries me so much...

Actually the MXLR is pretty fast. Think of it this way. It has about the same hp and is lighter than the previous generation MX "P" versions. Above 30mph, it is faster than the old MX "P" versions.

The LR also has Chill, Sport and Insane modes as well as the Drag Strip mode. 0-60 is measured without subtracting rollout which makes it look slower than it is. With rollout subtracted it is 3.5 sec...and thats with the software limiter < 30mph. Above 30mph it is indeed insanely fast. Not plaid fast but pretty fast.

Note that in the Plaid version, they already subtract the rollout. The true 0-60 diff between the two is 1 sec.

Anyone coming from a normal ICE car, the MXLR will seem very very fast.

Tesla's claim with rollout is 3.8. Someone with a dragy managed a 3.7 with the rollout. Can you post a link to an MXLR doing 0-60 in 3.5 seconds? I'd be shocked. I don't think it's ever happened unless it was downhill.

I guess it's all relative. Some might think 3.8 seconds is fast. Years ago, that would have been very fast. I guess when you get used to 2.3 seconds (with the 1 foot subtracted) in the Plaid, over 3 seconds seems downright slow. My one MXLR loaner with the default Insane mode felt like nothing was happening when mashing the throttle.

Tesla's claim with rollout is 3.8. Someone with a dragy managed a 3.7 with the rollout. Can you post a link to an MXLR doing 0-60 in 3.5 seconds? I'd be shocked. I don't think it's ever happened unless it was downhill.

I guess it's all relative. Some might think 3.8 seconds is fast. Years ago, that would have been very fast. I guess when you get used to 2.3 seconds (with the 1 foot subtracted) in the Plaid, over 3 seconds seems downright slow. My one MXLR loaner with the default Insane mode felt like nothing was happening when mashing the throttle.

ok this one is for you you spoiled tesla brat... 0-60 2.5sec... for only 1.2m$...

• Funny
Reactions: sorka
My model s plaid is first electric vehicle and its really incredibly docile for what it is. Its incredibly stable planted and easy to drive. Its essentially the opposite of a high hp ICE.

You only go fast if you want to. Drives like any other car unless you put your foot down.

What I’m saying is if you subtract the rollout from 3.8sec, you get 3.5sec. The dragy shows both numbers and yes people have gotten exactly that.

Also you claim 2.3 sec. Maybe you have a fast example of the plaid. Many are also getting 2.7-2.8 sec which is actually the claimed numbers by Tesla. 2.7sec without rollout subtracted, 2.5 sec with rollout subtracted.

This amounts to exactly a 1 sec difference between the Plaid and LR on 0-60.

I’m also curious was your loaner the ‘22 Long Range model or the ‘21 model Long Range Plus? There is a BIG difference between the two in power. I’m guessing it was the ‘21 because the ‘22s were in such short supply people couldn’t even get one for 6 months last year. The easiest way to know is if it had the new yolk/interior or the old one.

Lastly the current LR has nearly 700hp and it is being torque limited by software 0-20. The launch is a bit slow but as soon as you hit 20mph the power comes on very strong indeed!

There is barely any info on the MX LR drag racing. But the MS LR gives you an idea. See this video. The MS LR beats an M5 and Z06.

For reference these are the 1/4 mile trap times for the LR versions:

MX LR: 11.4sec@123mph
MS LR: 10.8sec@130mph

Their trap speeds are faster than the ludicrous versions with overall times very close to the ludicrous versions.

The LRs are certainly not slow 😉

Also you claim 2.3 sec. Maybe you have a fast example of the plaid. Many are also getting 2.7-2.8 sec which is actually the claimed numbers by Tesla. 2.7sec without rollout subtracted, 2.5 sec with rollout subtracted.

I don't claim anything.

0-60 in on dragy without 1 foot 2.56 seconds.
With 1 foot subtracted (using vbox) 2.39 seconds.

0-60 in 2.36 seconds on the vbox. Again the dragy in this case is not subtracting the 1 foot rollout. You can configure dragy to do either so it's important to clarify. If it's not stated, we can assume the lower time is because of the 1 foot rollout.

0-60 in 2.3 seconds vbox (again with 1 foot rollout subtracted).

There are at least 1/2 dozen more videos like this in the same time range.

Please post your videos showing the MXLRs 0-60.

I don't claim anything.

0-60 in on dragy without 1 foot 2.56 seconds.
With 1 foot subtracted (using vbox) 2.39 seconds.

0-60 in 2.36 seconds on the vbox. Again the dragy in this case is not subtracting the 1 foot rollout. You can configure dragy to do either so it's important to clarify. If it's not stated, we can assume the lower time is because of the 1 foot rollout.

0-60 in 2.3 seconds vbox (again with 1 foot rollout subtracted).

There are at least 1/2 dozen more videos like this in the same time range.

There are also half dozen at 2.7.

So to be fair let’s go with Teslas numbers. Certainly Tesla tests their own cars in the exact same way with exact same conditions. Only difference is Tesla likes showing a bigger gap in acceleration so all their performance models get the rollout subtracted out.

If you take Teslas number of 2.5 add back the rollout you get 2.7/2.8sec. That is exactly 1 sec faster than the LR at 3.8 sec.

Also Teslas claim of MSP of 1.99sec cannot be replicated by anyone. I have watched a ton of videos. Most are getting around 2.1/2.2 sec.

I would love too but there are almost none. The stats I posted are people who posted a stat but did not post videos.

The Model S LR does have a few videos and you can compare that to the previous Ludicrous versions. What we see in those is a slow start (0-20) but after that it catches right up to the Ludicrous. Mid and top end is very strong in the LR - faster than the older Ludicrous versions.