Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2020 model S with free unlimited charging was just declared totaled by my insurance, is there anything I can do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that trying to get the insurance company to compensate you for losing free supercharging is a big ask...in effect you are asking for $1000 per year for life...I suspect that the best you could get from an obliging insurance company is something like compensation for a limited time period...probably about six months

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Rewatching the video:

first the truck is a lane over and it does not swerve, but it looks like it's trying to cross over 2 lanes so it's possible my car was trying to avoid it. It's just a guess I really have no idea why my car cut into the grass. It's possible my car got confused by the oncoming guardrail, I've seen that happen to other people in FSD videos.

Right before the 4 second mark the car is going straight for the guardrail. I had to make a split second decision if I was going to swerve right back into traffic and possibly hit the guard rail or swerve left into the grass. I thought the grass would be safer but I didn't know that the guardrails close in on each other and would trap me in.

From 3 seconds to 6 seconds I am pushing hard on the brake but it doesn't look like it's slowing down much. I don't know if this is normally enough time to stop in an emergency or if the grass makes it impossible.

Throughout the whole video the car never does any beeping or alerts that i'm leaving the lane or any collision warning that i'm going to hit something like it normally does. The airbags don't go off and I'm able to reverse, turn around and drive like normal and the car doesn't alert me that anything is wrong.

Is this the risk you take with FSD beta, or is this something that went wrong that shouldn't have? I don't know.

Video: VEED - 2022-08-12_06-54-51-front.mp4
Have you considered filing a safety report with NHTSA? That is the most egregious FSD beta fail that I have seen. It appears that the semi was way in front of you, and it does not look like your closing speed was excessive. I’m sure Electrek or a similar site would be interested in your story, but I think it would be more important for safety regulators to know about this incident.

It looks like there were three lanes on the freeway. Is it legal in the state that you were driving in for semis to be in the far left lane? If the semi was a lot closer than it appears on the video and did indeed cut you off, that may be an avenue to pursue.

Rewatching the video:

first the truck is a lane over and it does not swerve, but it looks like it's trying to cross over 2 lanes so it's possible my car was trying to avoid it. It's just a guess I really have no idea why my car cut into the grass. It's possible my car got confused by the oncoming guardrail, I've seen that happen to other people in FSD videos.

Right before the 4 second mark the car is going straight for the guardrail. I had to make a split second decision if I was going to swerve right back into traffic and possibly hit the guard rail or swerve left into the grass. I thought the grass would be safer but I didn't know that the guardrails close in on each other and would trap me in.

From 3 seconds to 6 seconds I am pushing hard on the brake but it doesn't look like it's slowing down much. I don't know if this is normally enough time to stop in an emergency or if the grass makes it impossible.

Throughout the whole video the car never does any beeping or alerts that i'm leaving the lane or any collision warning that i'm going to hit something like it normally does. The airbags don't go off and I'm able to reverse, turn around and drive like normal and the car doesn't alert me that anything is wrong.

Is this the risk you take with FSD beta, or is this something that went wrong that shouldn't have? I don't know.

Video: VEED - 2022-08-12_06-54-51-front.mp4
Sorry for your accident. By your statement above you say it was your your decision to swerve into the grass vs trying to go back to the road so I would assume you were in control. Not saying that was the right or wrong decision. At close to the 3 second mark you can see where the car hedged to the shoulder and briefly paused. Assume that’s where you took over to make an evasive move. No, brakes are of little use in any car on grass.

Sorry for your accident. By your statement above you say it was your your decision to swerve into the grass vs trying to go back to the road so I would assume you were in control. Not saying that was the right or wrong decision. At close to the 3 second mark you can see where the car hedged to the shoulder and briefly paused. Assume that’s where you took over to make an evasive move. No, brakes are of little use in any car on grass.

It was already partly in the grass when I took over and it was headed towards the guardrail and the left side. If I had swerved to the right I don’t know if there was enough time to avoid the guardrail head on, and if I did I am not sure if I would have hit any cars in any of the other lanes.

Have you considered filing a safety report with NHTSA? That is the most egregious FSD beta fail that I have seen. It appears that the semi was way in front of you, and it does not look like your closing speed was excessive. I’m sure Electrek or a similar site would be interested in your story, but I think it would be more important for safety regulators to know about this incident.

It looks like there were three lanes on the freeway. Is it legal in the state that you were driving in for semis to be in the far left lane? If the semi was a lot closer than it appears on the video and did indeed cut you off, that may be an avenue to pursue.

How do I file a safety report with NHTSA?

It was already partly in the grass when I took over and it was headed towards the guardrail and the left side. If I had swerved to the right I don’t know if there was enough time to avoid the guardrail head on, and if I did I am not sure if I would have hit any cars in any of the other lanes.
I think you made the right call. If you were already half on the grass, there wouldn't be much grip for you to make that turn back onto the road. you'd risk t-boning yourself on the guardrail.

they take reports about FSD?
As of end of July these are the incidents currently being looked at by them on ADAS which includes Tesla.
Screenshot_20220822-105522.png

... does "full self driving capability" mean it comes with FSD?
No. This means it is capable of being added. With older cars without 8 cameras, you cannot add FSD.

Throughout the whole video the car never does any beeping or alerts that i'm leaving the lane or any collision warning that i'm going to hit something like it normally does.
As soon as you touched the brake, AP is disabled as you are taking control and no beeps/warning will be given (related to AP and collision warning). I'm not sure about lane departure alerts (if they are turned on), but they may be disabled when you brake as well. Grass makes for very poor friction and even ABS is not going to help in a panic stop.

Airbags only go off if the car hits something with enough force to risk passengers hitting something in the car in a severe accident. Sensors detect the direction of impact and the Gs involved to determine when to deploy and which bags to deploy. Also, if the airbags had gone off, the HV battery pyro fuse would have been triggered and you would be stuck there. So in this regard, the car did the right thing and you could drive away afterward.

Really sucks to be in this accident and I'm glad you were not hurt. I hope you can get reasonable compensation from the insurance company.

Looks up a report on braking on grass, and most vehicles in the test had a slightly better stopping distance with ABS on grass. So looks like ABS may reduce stopping distance by up to 5%. Lots of variables, so it's hard to be sure. For gravel, ABS increases the stopping distance by about 4 to 8% on all vehicles they tested.

You didn't say if ABS activated (i.e. you'd feel the vibration in the pedal), but with so much going on, you may not have noticed if it activated or not.

Here's a link to that report: https://www.researchgate.net/figure...t-vehicles-were-fully-laden-to_fig6_237269602

• Informative
Wrong. Tesla calls it "Full Self-Driving Capability" when you have paid for FSD. They don't really have a designation for a car with the hardware but without the software.
Mike - yep you're right - Tesla does not make it clear when you have FSD or not. Sorry about that.

One clunky way you can tell if you have FSD (on an HW2.0+ vehicle) in the app, select: Upgrades -> Software Upgrades. If FSD is not enabled, you'll get the option to buy it.

Mike - yep you're right - Tesla does not make it clear when you have FSD or not. Sorry about that.

One clunky way you can tell if you have FSD (on an HW2.0+ vehicle) in the app, select: Upgrades -> Software Upgrades. If FSD is not enabled, you'll get the option to buy it.
The test drive should be a giveaway when you take your hands off the wheel 😱😰

• Informative

If they list your vehicle has "Full Self-Driving Capability", then it has been paid for on that vehicle. (On the additional vehicle information screen in the car or the app.)

I was just wondering if the used Teslas on the Tesla website have FSD so I can show it to my insurance. It’s not clear if any of them come with it, I’m assuming they don’t?

• Informative
I was just wondering if the used Teslas on the Tesla website have FSD so I can show it to my insurance. It’s not clear if any of them come with it, I’m assuming they don’t?
Many do. Read the listings carefully...it will say if a particular car does

BY the way..I honestly wish you all the best in negotiating with insurance companies. Not easy. They get their values from third party assessors that seem to be in cahoots with all of the insurance companies.