Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2020 model S with free unlimited charging was just declared totaled by my insurance, is there anything I can do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just wondering if the used Teslas on the Tesla website have FSD so I can show it to my insurance. It’s not clear if any of them come with it, I’m assuming they don’t?
Every one I looked at comes with it:

1661187509049.png

And don't forget your likely lifetime Premium Connectivity...

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I think that trying to get the insurance company to compensate you for losing free supercharging is a big ask...in effect you are asking for $1000 per year for life...I suspect that the best you could get from an obliging insurance company is something like compensation for a limited time period...probably about six months
I wouldn’t ask for $1000 per year for life, but you can get the fair market value of something like that. I’m not an appraiser but $10,000 at 10% return is $1000 a year so I think $10,000 is a fair value for it.

I actually didn’t realize there was a complete charging history on the Tesla app, and i went through and calculated my total free charging and it came out to $1300 a year for me and I don’t drive that much.

With all that said I don’t have my hopes up that they will pay me anything for it.

• Love
I wouldn’t ask for $1000 per year for life, but you can get the fair market value of something like that. I’m not an appraiser but $10,000 at 10% return is $1000 a year so I think $10,000 is a fair value for it.

I actually didn’t realize there was a complete charging history on the Tesla app, and i went through and calculated my total free charging and it came out to $1300 a year for me and I don’t drive that much.

With all that said I don’t have my hopes up that they will pay me anything for it.
TeslaFi makes this easier if you’ve had it on the car since you bought it.

So if I do report the accident to NHTSA and someone wants to Investigate it how does it work with insurance?

Because insurance is telling me if I accept the check they’re taking the car to the salvage yard and probably can’t be investigated probably

So if I do report the accident to NHTSA and someone wants to Investigate it how does it work with insurance?

Because insurance is telling me if I accept the check they’re taking the car to the salvage yard and probably can’t be investigated probably
What if they conclude that you are responsible (partially or fully)...are you sure that your insurance company will continue to be so understanding ?

What if they conclude that you are responsible (partially or fully)...are you sure that your insurance company will continue to be so understanding ?
We are talking about NHTSA here, each year they receive tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of complaints, unless there is a fatal accident that has been publicized, or something really caught their attention. I doubted they will get to the complaint any time soon. Once the insurance has finalized the verdict, the case is pretty much closed.

• Funny
We are talking about NHTSA here, each year they receive tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of complaints, unless there is a fatal accident that has been publicized, or something really caught their attention. I doubted they will get to the complaint any time soon. Once the insurance has finalized the verdict, the case is pretty much closed.
Because assuming this was indeed a FSD beta fail, a four year old would have known better than to swerve into the grass.

Reactions: jrr6415sun

Once insurance had made the decision, it doesn’t matter about NHTSA, they are not going to wait forever; not sure what NHTSA needs, Tesla should have all the data and you have all the photos and possibly the police report ?

I am not in insurance business or lawyer, but to me it seems you have limited choice.

1. Accept the check and move on.
2. Negotiate with insurance about the payout, but you have to prove the market value of the car is higher. From used car perspective, most fancy options are worthless and doesn’t add much to market value. FUSC is not transferable, so insurance may say it’s $0, FSD may not worth much either, used market may not look at it as desirable with high dollar amount, and people can always subscribe instead of paying large amount of cash, but only your insurance company can answer.
3. Keep the salvage title and the car, taking a big cut in the settlement. There may be state laws governing the legality of this.
4. Find someone who will fix the car for a lot less than what the insurance determined, doubted you will get anywhere with this.

• Funny
Once insurance had made the decision, it doesn’t matter about NHTSA, they are not going to wait forever; not sure what NHTSA needs, Tesla should have all the data and you have all the photos and possibly the police report ?

I am not in insurance business or lawyer, but to me it seems you have limited choice.

1. Accept the check and move on.
2. Negotiate with insurance about the payout, but you have to prove the market value of the car is higher. From used car perspective, most fancy options are worthless and doesn’t add much to market value. FUSC is not transferable, so insurance may say it’s $0, FSD may not worth much either, used market may not look at it as desirable with high dollar amount, and people can always subscribe instead of paying large amount of cash, but only your insurance company can answer.
3. Keep the salvage title and the car, taking a big cut in the settlement. There may be state laws governing the legality of this.
4. Find someone who will fix the car for a lot less than what the insurance determined, doubted you will get anywhere with this.

does Tesla have all the data? In my app it says my car is still at the scene of the accident and I can't communicate with it, so I'm assuming tesla can't either. I don't even think the car registered that it was in a crash.

I'm assuming there is a log of what happened on the tesla computer that I don't have access to that may be useful to Tesla to see if there is a bug with FSD or if they were at fault? Or maybe they don't care.

• Love
does Tesla have all the data? In my app it says my car is still at the scene of the accident and I can't communicate with it, so I'm assuming tesla can't either. I don't even think the car registered that it was in a crash.

I'm assuming there is a log of what happened on the tesla computer that I don't have access to that may be useful to Tesla to see if there is a bug with FSD or if they were at fault? Or maybe they don't care.
That’ll happen when it has to be flat bedded out of the accident. When it is able to move under its own power it will to show you where it is.

• Informative

Most likely the 12v battery is dead and once it is power back up, then you should be able to connect to it. It’s a million dollar question how helpful Tesla is in this case (not that they are hiding or avoid responsibility) but more likely not many procedures to follow or incompetent personnel, you have to push them harder.

Have you contacted Tesla after the accident and ask them to download the data for possible FSDbeta bug? I think they should be able to accommodate that, even if you have the actual hardware, it will be hard to get the data out without Tesla help.

BTW, I came across a site findmyelectric.com, that can search for listing including sold status, it may be useful as a reference.

my plan was to call them tomorrow, should I use this number? 1-877-79TESLA
That's the roadside assistance number, I don't know whether they will be able to help you, but you will get a live person that may be able to direct you to another, or you can call the main support number since it's already several days after the accident, I think there is an option to route to a local service center, if you can catch a live person, then it will be better, it may still end up in voice mail though. Using the app is possible but often times the other side has no clue.

• Informative
That's the roadside assistance number, I don't know whether they will be able to help you, but you will get a live person that may be able to direct you to another, or you can call the main support number since it's already several days after the accident, I think there is an option to route to a local service center, if you can catch a live person, then it will be better, it may still end up in voice mail though. Using the app is possible but often times the other side has no clue.
What is the main support number? I feel like the local service center won’t do anything about it.