Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY 2024 Refresh - Project Juniper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe Juniper Y will have CATL M3P batteries that enable 400 mile EPA range.
No that’s impossible. CATL M3P batteries have lower density than the LG NMCA pack, which is already lower than the Panasonic NCA pack. Range would be worse with M3P batteries, not better

Bloggers and YouTubers who don’t know anything keep talking about LFP this and that like it’s some revolutionary new technology that will solve all the problems with EVs.

LFP is just a cheaper technology and better longevity. But in terms of capacity and range it is far inferior to high nickel packs.

• Informative
Reactions: mborkow
I really enjoy my MYP but at this point Tesla really needs to improve on so many aspects from exterior design, boring interior, customer service. The competition is about to get fierce with so many brands coming with very nice options. Acura, BMW M50 and even Honda are in the mix, and to be honest, they look very nice.
Tesla on the other hand is unable to produce a more exciting exterior, more options of customization, and the borderline lethargic interior is boring to many.

If you can wait until 2025 or beyond for a new vehicle to get Juniper just do that. It's going to be awhile before it comes out if the statement from Tesla is to be believed.
“….if the statement from Tesla is to be believed” ….we’d have been driving on full FSD since 2017, the Roadster 2 would be in it’s second/third year of production and Robotaxis would be everywhere, but, alas, I digress….

If you can wait until 2025 or beyond for a new vehicle to get Juniper just do that. It's going to be awhile before it comes out if the statement from Tesla is to be believed.
Could not disagree more. Get the current Model Y now and then trade that in 3 years for the second production run of Juniper. You’ll get a great car now and skip the quirks that Tesla doesn’t iron out of the first year refresh.

Reactions: Midpack
This is about an upgrade/update of the LFP battery pack which currently no Model Ys in the USA have…this is just click bait. It also seems a lot more likely that premium battery packs will first be installed on Tesla’s premium vehicles…not the Model Y.

I think you are likely correct about the Model S/X getting this. However the volumes are relatively low compared to the Model Y.

But do you really think they are going to pass up offering an incredibly long range Model Y...even if it loses all or part of the $7,500 discount?
Just tying up CATL with a large order is in Tesla's best interests as it restricts their competitors from getting their hands on it.

The Model 3 already doesn't get the full $7,500.

Last edited:
Those complaining about Tesla's plain interiors, panel gaps, lack of stalks, lack of buttons, fail to realize that those companies that are providing all those things are seeing dropping sales/profits, while Tesla is constantly growing volumes and has much higher profits.
People say they want all the fancy swanky stuff, but reality is the real volumes go to the reasonably priced cars.

Reactions: timeshifter
I really enjoy my MYP but at this point Tesla really needs to improve on so many aspects from exterior design, boring interior, customer service. The competition is about to get fierce with so many brands coming with very nice options. Acura, BMW M50 and even Honda are in the mix, and to be honest, they look very nice.
Tesla on the other hand is unable to produce a more exciting exterior, more options of customization, and the borderline lethargic interior is boring to many.

The boring interior is not only the result of them extremely trying to minimize parts and weight but likely minimizing the stuff that can be broken.

They probably want to be like Apple who tries to make their phones idiot-proof so they don't have a line of people going out their door with buttons that are broken and need repairs.

Reactions: timeshifter
Those complaining about Tesla's plain interiors, panel gaps, lack of stalks, lack of buttons, fail to realize that those companies that are providing all those things are seeing dropping sales/profits, while Tesla is constantly growing volumes and has much higher profits.
People say they want all the fancy swanky stuff, but reality is the real volumes go to the reasonably priced cars.
I’m a new Tesla owner still in the honeymoon phase of my new car purchase, so take this with a grain of salt: I thought I’d miss the cluster of gauges, directly in front of me, and the buttons, to adjust all manor of conditions, in all my previous cars but, on the contrary, I am absolutely smitten with Model Y’s simplicity and single screen UI combined with the scroll wheels on the steering wheel. I still have stalks (though test drove the Highland and didn’t find their absence alarming, as I thought I might) but (assuming my present feelings persist) I will have no problem upgrading to a new Tesla at some point in the future and, in fact, hope their aesthetic doesn’t change too much. My only real complaint (and it’s come up a bunch with all our rain since I bought my car) is that the auto windshield wiper algorithm is absolute crap; I have more or less given up on that and manually trigger the wipers from the left hand stalk until the point where I need them on consistently and then turn them on from the card that pops up after a manual trigger. Tesla should solve that issue (it can’t be that hard for TV to sense water on the windshield) but the interior materials and even the panel gaps on my car all seem to range from quite nice to more than adequate.

Reactions: navguy12
do you really think they are going to pass up offering an incredibly long range Model Y...even if it loses all or part of the $7,500 discount?
Model Y was the 5th best selling car in the US last year; I don’t think they’ll do anything to mess with that so, yes, I think they’ll pass on extending its range at the cost of eliminating the Fed tax rebate (which appears to be heavily leveraged in Model Y purchases based on what I read on this forum). With that Fed tax rebate, Model Y can be picked up for $10k below the average new car price in the US; that’s an incredible value. Buying a Toyota Prius, for example, is almost impossible to justify with Model Y’s pricing…

Model Y was the 5th best selling car in the US last year; I don’t think they’ll do anything to mess with that so, yes, I think they’ll pass on extending its range at the cost of eliminating the Fed tax rebate (which appears to be heavily leveraged in Model Y purchases based on what I read on this forum). With that Fed tax rebate, Model Y can be picked up for $10k below the average new car price in the US; that’s an incredible value. Buying a Toyota Prius, for example, is almost impossible to justify with Model Y’s pricing…

They can easily offer it as an additional Y model. Tesla adds and subtracts models all the time.

I think if they offer a Model Y with around 400-500 miles of range with super fast charging without the > 80% charging degradation worry that will shut up all the EV doubters pretty quick.

The competition has been 'about to get fierce' for a couple years, so far competitors are moving very slowly, and lower prices aren't going to make that any easier. You're kidding yourself if you think Acura/Honda are in the mix, you can't even buy one yet, and they're based largely on GM's "new" tech - which hasn't materialized at scale yet.

If you don't like the minimalist ethos, that's great, and that's why there are other makes/models to choose from. What you call exciting, I call cluttered - like millions of actual Tesla buyers. I never used 80% of the physical buttons or onscreen settings after setting them initially on the legacy autos we've owned.

I value Teslas underlying technology, which some people can't see or appreciate, over the busy interiors that many legacy automakers offer. If shiny things from the past are more to your liking, wonderful. YMMV

They can easily offer it as an additional Y model. Tesla adds and subtracts models all the time.

I think if they offer a Model Y with around 400-500 miles of range with super fast charging without the > 80% charging degradation worry that will shut up all the EV doubters pretty quick.
I 100% agree…but then that would prob hurt Model X sales, right? What would be the incentive to shell out $85k for a Model X if the Y could do that?