Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

MY 2024 Refresh - Project Juniper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we all know, Tesla will be launching M3 highland soon in the US.

Since M3 snd MY share 76% of parts, does is make sense for Tesla to sell updated M3 with all the new features while MY is still as it is today?

I am thinking they might upgrade both cars in 2024. Perhaps just a few months apart?

Who would buy outdated MY if new M3 is available?

Thoughs??

Reactions: Michelx
Who would buy outdated MY if new M3 is available?
2 different cars, no comparison. There is a reason the Y is the worlds most sought after car and not the 3. Personally I have always changed cars every 3 years for the last 40 years. Our Y is over 3 years old, I will wait for Juniper even if it takes a year or more.

2 different cars, no comparison. There is a reason the Y is the worlds most sought after car and not the 3. Personally I have always changed cars every 3 years for the last 40 years. Our Y is over 3 years old, I will wait for Juniper even if it takes a year or more.
True but it would be rough when people see cool features like 2nd screen, slick look, cool interior etc.. on M3 While MY is old.

It's not going to be pretty for MY sales.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Right until M3 is available. When they see those sude by side... I predict rough ride until MY is updated.
The M3 reviews are starting to come out and the key changes are the very big improvement in ride quality and how quiet the car is. These are 2 of the main complaints with the current versions and why I will not upgrade our Y until Juniper is available.

The M3 reviews are starting to come out and the key changes are the very big improvement in ride quality and how quiet the car is. These are 2 of the main complaints with the current versions and why I will not upgrade our Y until Juniper is available.
Yeah they are all pretty positive too which is good. I'm guessing North America will see it in the first half of 2024.

Saw the first M3 on the road this morning at the school drop-off, I have to admit, it looks very nice....the headlights have to be my favorite upgrade - they look so sleek. Probably the one thing that I would want different is the way they have written Tesla on the rear...I still much prefer the badge rather than the letters.

Reactions: navguy12
IMHO it's really more about better mechanical and electrical engineering iteration up to lower amp/higher voltage architectures - which must be done if they have any hope of getting costs down over time - along with shorter charging times and other important elements to make better BEVs. Software and especially AI/FSD is a much more complex and mercurial journey IMHO. But I take your point. :)

I'm hopeful that some of the tech we're seeing introduced in the CT will filter it's way into the M3/MY platforms as well. I think it's too late for the Highland M3 since that was primarily updated/re-engineered over in China - but there's still hope that we might see the 800v/48v architecture make it's way into the Juniper MY update especially given those same engineers are all in Gigatexas where the US MY is built. Fingers crossed.
As much as I would like this I think it is very unlikely. It would require redesign of all the sub systems. Im expecting MY to be brought inline with Highland.

As much as I would like this I think it is very unlikely. It would require redesign of all the sub systems. Im expecting MY to be brought inline with Highland.
Agreed it's unlikely - but it's more likely than the M3 Highland update here in the US getting this same tech. A buddy of mine thinks the M3P due out next year may have 48v/800v, but I'm more of the mind that the Juniper CT refresh would come first given the sales volume for the MY is much higher - and moving to the lower amp/higher voltage platforms would save Tesla quite a bit of money during manufacturing, if they can get the suppliers to adapt that quickly of course - which is why Tesla wrote an entire manual for suppliers on how to convert parts over to a 48v architecture. Again, unlikely, but possible at least. Ultimately if Tesla can get the suppliers to adapt - this accelerates the potential robotaxi/M2 model at a lower price point coming to market.

......Personally I have always changed cars every 3 years for the last 40 years. Our Y is over 3 years old, I will wait for Juniper even if it takes a year or more.
Do you lease? and if you get business tax benefits by leasing? If not then you must be taking a big hit on $$ if you change cars every 3 yrs. Since you have been doing it consistently for 40 yrs, I was wondering what is your motivation to do so? Modern cars don't get OLD in just three years. Just curious because I tend to keep cars until I run them to ground. Would love hear other perspectives as a learning experience.

Fred from Electrek has turned a mid 2024 date in a few months. I smell a trap.

This has come as a great surprise especially given that fremont hasn’t been updated on m3. Maybe this is in recognition of the Chinese market being much more competitive.

Wonder how long until these changes cascade to the US.
I speculated here Jan 25:

Guesstimate of USA timeline:

Size of dev team:
1/10 equals small
10/10 equals huge

• Jan 24
    • CT - 7/10 (first customer deliveries)
    • Highland 2/10
    • Juniper 1/10
    • Bot 2/10
    • M2 1/10
    • Total - 13
  • Apr 24
    • CT - 5/10
    • Highland 5/10 (first USA customer deliveries)
    • Juniper 1/10
    • Bot 3/10
    • M2 1/10
    • Total - 15
  • Jul 24
    • CT - 3/10
    • Highland 5/10
    • Juniper 2/10 (China ramp only)
    • Bot 4/10
    • M2 3/10
    • Total - 17
  • Oct 24
    • CT - 2/10
    • Highland 4/10
    • Juniper 3/10
    • Bot 5/10
    • M2 5/10
    • Total - 16
  • Jan 25
    • CT - 2/10
    • Highland 3/10
    • Juniper 4/10 (first customer deliveries)
    • Bot 5/10
    • M2 7/10
    • Total - 23
  • Apr 25
    • CT - 1/10
    • Highland 1/10
    • Juniper 4/10
    • Bot 5/10
    • M2 10/10 (first customer deliveries)
    • Total - 24
  • Jul 25
    • CT - 1/10