Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY 2024 Refresh - Project Juniper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically the title.

If they’re serious about adding a front bumper camera (or three in some speculation/rumor articles I’ve seen), does this make the 2023 MY an objectively bad purchase? Like many others, I rushed to get the MY delivered to me before March 31st since there was so much uncertainty at the time. We now know that it would’ve been fine to wait but that’s besides the point.

The fact that this car has NO USS or front bumper cameras is insanity especially since the pitch was that Tesla Vision is “the future”. How exactly are you going to create a vision based formula if you don’t even have a camera in one of the most obvious blind spots?

For the record, I LOVE my MYLR and drive it all the time. I don’t really care about having a front camera too much but I won’t deny that it would come in hand in NUMEROUS parking and reversing situations. Add in the fact that having a front camera would help with resale value compared to these new cars that will have them…it just seems like 2023 cars were a bad investment if this is what Tesla’s plans are for future models.

Is there any hope for a retrofit for a front bumper camera on 2023MYs? This was honestly one of my hidden fears from buying a car without a front bumper camera or USS and it looks like it’s coming true. Any thoughts, rumblings, updates regarding this ? I’m sure there’s thousands of us wondering the same thing.
See: 2021 when many people were waiting for heated steering wheel or new console or 4680 batteries or..... Many of those that waited ended up paying way more for their cars when the prices jumped, and didn't even get the benefit of driving an EV while they were waiting.... It's like trying to time the stock market. Can't be done. Although I did buy Tesla at $44.... :cool:

Very interesting. Q3 2024 is quite a ways off so I have zero concerns about doing a purchase from last week. If its Q3 that would have me think all 2024 Y will be current style and they'll do 2025 model year for the refresh.

Yes I remember many of hundreds of posts in 2021/2022 speculating that people should hold off getting a Y because the 4680 Y was going to blow it out of the water and the car would go an extra 100 miles or something. Then once we finally get the 4680 its a significantly inferior product in every way.

But as we get closer to Q3 2024 it certainly is a concern of what juniper could do to my current trade in/resale values. That was a significant part of why I traded in my M3P for a MYLR last week - I wanted to get that done prior to highland reducing the M3 values.

The rumored Juniper improvements on their own look very unimpressive to me personally, but I am concerned if it could drop my MY value ~10k when they arrive from having an older model that is the body style of 1-7 years old. Think of someone who accepted a 2021 X right before the refresh.

If I'm going to keep the Y for 10 years of course it doesnt really matter. But if I'm going to possibly sell it sometime in 2024 or 2025 I'll certainly need to pay attention to the Juniper impact.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Very interesting. Q3 2024 is quite a ways off so I have zero concerns about doing a purchase from last week. If its Q3 that would have me think all 2024 Y will be current style and they'll do 2025 model year for the refresh.

Yes I remember many of hundreds of posts in 2021/2022 speculating that people should hold off getting a Y because the 4680 Y was going to blow it out of the water and the car would go an extra 100 miles or something. Then once we finally get the 4680 its a significantly inferior product in every way.

But as we get closer to Q3 2024 it certainly is a concern of what juniper could do to my current trade in/resale values. That was a significant part of why I traded in my M3P for a MYLR last week - I wanted to get that done prior to highland reducing the M3 values.

The rumored Juniper improvements on their own look very unimpressive to me personally, but I am concerned if it could drop my MY value ~10k when they arrive from having an older model that is the body style of 1-7 years old. Think of someone who accepted a 2021 X right before the refresh.

If I'm going to keep the Y for 10 years of course it doesnt really matter. But if I'm going to possibly sell it sometime in 2024 or 2025 I'll certainly need to pay attention to the Juniper impact.
The refreshed Model 3 is priced higher than its predecessor, IIRC, so I would expect the same with the Model Y refresh.

Current. Ultimately the 3 needs to be in the mid $30k to differentiate it from the upcoming $25k model, midway between it and the Y.
"upcoming" might be much later than many think though - Tesla is delaying the plant in Mexico potentially years due to permitting and other issues to even begin construction of the plant, after they break ground It'll probably be a few more years later it is actually turning out significant volume of cars. So thats what 5+ years from now? By then we might have another refresh of the model 3 and Y.

Now back to Highland pricing - its makes a ton of sense to increase the price vs the current M3 as any model refresh will have demand and a price premium for the first year+ of production. Eventually I wouldn't be surprised at all if Tesla creates a budget version that undercuts the current M3 prices. Tesla has the scales of production, efficiency for things like castings, profit margin on their sales, as well as production simplicity, and software revenue from FSD to really cut prices very low.

The refreshed Model 3 is priced higher than its predecessor, IIRC, so I would expect the same with the Model Y refresh.
They wouldn't advertise a new model (well a refresh of an existing model) that is cheaper than what is currently available to buy.
Sales would just stop while everyone waited for the newer model.

They will be trying to clear any older stock (Look! Its cheaper than the new model!) and once its all gone and there is only the Highland stock available, it may (or may not) drop to less than what we are currently seeing.

My guess is the price will eventually be lower.

I am really glad I cancelled my MYLR order in March, and I am looking forward to the Juniper refresh. I was hoping (in Mar) it would come late this year, but it looks like sometime next year now. Unfortunately, that will reduce the tax credit from what I understand, but I'll wait.

Worth waiting for (to me):
  • Range has increases ~12%
  • More premium interior materials. The fabric is softer to the touch and sewn with a more refined process to present a better overall texture.
  • Updated center console with real metal handles, giving a more premium feel.
  • 30% decrease in wind and ambient noise, 25% improvement in impact noise and 20% improvement in road noise
  • Acoustic glass on rear windows and back window (was only on front windows before). "360º acoustic glass"
  • More sound insulation for a quieter ride
  • Uptick in hood to let wind go over more quietly
  • Upgraded suspension for a more premium ride. New springs & dampers. New geometry on front suspension. New bushings. New way they mount the sub frame to the chassis
  • Tires have more cushioning for improved ride
  • Center touchscreen now brighter, has smaller bezels, higher contrast & is more responsive
  • Front seats are now ventilated, in additional to heated
  • New Model 3 is the most aerodynamic Tesla ever. Drag coefficient is 0.219 Cd
  • Upgraded microphones. Now one on each passenger side. New mics make phone calls clearer and "smooth"
  • Improved Wifi connectivity
  • Improved connectivity to phone so car will recognize your phone from farther away
  • Front bumper camera (maybe?)More premium
On the fence: [I'm OK with or without stalks]
• No more stalks. New steering wheel contains the turns signals, light controls, horn, new camera button, wiper controls and mic control

Indifferent:
• 50% of the parts in the car are new
• Redesigned interior with new door cards
• Two new colors: Ultra Red & Stealth Gray
• New dash design with textured/woven material
• Stiffer body
• More premium sounding door "thunk"
• Two motors close the trunk now vs one before, resulting in a quieter automatic close
• More comfortable rear seats
• Redesigned lower rear bumper
• All seats are now perforated
• No fog lights anymore
• 8" touchscreen for rear passengers in the back to control climate & enjoy entertainment. You can connect two headsets at the same time.
• Upgraded 2.0 ventilation system. You can now separately turn off the passenger side air
• Slimmer and sleeker headlight and taillight design
• New speaker bar in the roof
• New 17 speaker sound system (up from 14 before). It now includes 2 subwoofers, and 2 amplifiers. More punchy.
• 65W USB-C charger in center console so you can charge a laptop.
• Improved bluetooth
• Two new wheel designs that optimize battery life
• New Tesla lettering replaces rear Tesla logo badge
• Car is 8% more efficient thanks to better aerodynamics
• Car is lighter than before
• Working on new Performance Model 3

Things I didn't want:
  • Multicolor ambient LED interior lighting extending from dash to rear seat doors

Highland has the horn in the middle where it usually is. It is not the same wheel button configuration as the current S+X.
That is great to hear if true. I'm hoping there is a good aftermarket solution to add a turn signal stalk. I don't need the drive stalk.

I'm actually ok with the Yoke, its nice on the X/S because you get a great unobstructed view of the heads up screen. Certainly think it should always be an option for those who want a round wheel though.

The left signal stalk is just something I don't want to change. I also switch between non-Tesla vehicles and don't want to get in the habit of using the wrong one. The horn is similar but even more of a safety issue as you want that to function in an immediate split second natural reaction.

Screenshot_20230914-211317~2.png

Direct from the owners manual. Unless they decide to change it for the US release.

Tesla's always had a great minimalistic interior with very simple controls. Hardly any buttons, then additional settings on the main screen with the auto industries best UI.

That steering wheel diagram looks like a big step back. Previously you had a simple stock and then two scroll wheels on the car.

Now its full of 7 buttons and two scroll wheels crammed all over the place in a difficult to remember layout.

a simple stock
I've never owned a stalked Tesla as I have a Feb 2022 MSLR. But from reading this forum, I never got the idea that the Model 3 stalks were simple.
- press up for reverse (well that's just backwards pun intended operation)
- press down for drive, well that's just not intuitive. Down should be reverse.
-press end of stalk for park
- if in park, press up or down for neutral (wait, isn't that how you get to drive or reverse)
unless autopilot is engaged then push up to disengage autopilot then you can shift to neutral
-when in drive push stalk down once for TACC and Twice for autosteer

DISCLAIMER: I quickly looked at the stalk functions in a Model 3 manual and probably got it all wrong.

With the new wheel, gears and autopilot are separate. Up for drive, down for reverse, tap for park on the screen. Eezy Peezy. One click on scroll for TACC (if you set it up that way) two clicks for autosteer.

Last edited:
Reactions: WyoDude and MacO512
I've never owned a stalked Tesla as I have a Feb 2022 MSLR. But from reading this forum, I never got the idea that the Model 3 stalks were simple.
- press up for reverse (well that's just backwards pun intended operation)
- press down for drive, well that's just not intuitive. Down should be reverse.
-press end of stalk for park
- if in park, press up or down for neutral (wait, isn't that how you get to drive or reverse)
unless autopilot is engaged then push up to disengage autopilot then you can shift to neutral
-when in drive push stalk down once for TACC and Twice for autosteer

DISCLAIMER: I quickly looked at the stalk functions in a Model 3 manual and probably got it all wrong.

With the new wheel, gears and autopilot are separate. Up for drive, down for reverse, tap for park on the screen. Eezy Peezy. One click on scroll for TACC (if you set it up that way) two clicks for autosteer.
The right stalk for drive/reverse/autopilot I'm fine with removing. Or I'm fine with keeping. I don't really care one way or the other.

Its only the left turn signal stalk I have an issue with removing.

Reactions: zoomer0056
The right stalk for drive/reverse/autopilot I'm fine with removing. Or I'm fine with keeping. I don't really care one way or the other.

Its only the left turn signal stalk I have an issue with removing.
I have to admit that I see why people don't like how turn signals are implemented. But for me I've had no problem. They are separated with a raised line so eyes are not diverted and I signal before the wheel is turned. The only plausible argument is for round abouts. But I also have no problems here. I go through two or three round abouts depending on route. Our round abouts are self regulating and don't need turn signals at all. Yield going in which makes exiting just as easy. The Brits that are required to signal when going in ... that's just silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midpack and MacO512
I have to admit that I see why people don't like how turn signals are implemented. But for me I've had no problem. They are separated with a raised line so eyes are not diverted and I signal before the wheel is turned. The only plausible argument is for round abouts. But I also have no problems here. I go through two or three round abouts depending on route. Our round abouts are self regulating and don't need turn signals at all. Yield going in which makes exiting just as easy. The Brits that are required to signal when going in ... that's just silly.
I assume it’s signaling on exiting a roundabout some Brits are up in arms about and that would be trickier. Signaling going in, while the steering wheel is straight up isn‘t an issue - turn signal buttons are always on the left spoke. And there’s no other option entering a roundabout than turning to go with the flow so a turn signal is unnecessary entering. They’re usually unnecessary exiting as well where I’ve lived on the USA but they may be configured differently in the UK and other countries.