Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Baby got sideswiped today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I goy tickled by a car drifting into my lane very minor damage but $9k in repairs.
The guy at the body shop said to get a lawyer and sue for diminished value. I had never heard of this before but he said assuming you ever try to sell your car a car fax report is gonna say one accident $9k in damages even though it was only a scratch, end result, diminished value.

So I contact a lawyer who deals with these sort of lawsuits and got settlement from her insurance for the diminished value and they paid the difference in my hire car cost to that of renting a Tesla for 5 days. (-30%)
Just food for thought

Sorry to hear about this mishap Stefan!

I'm sure Excellence Auto will look after you well...they did a nice job for me a few years ago on my Roadster.

In Ontario, in Mr. Elbe's scenario (3rd party 100% at fault), a deductible only has to be paid if the accident is a "hit & run", or the other vehicle has no valid insurance.

If the accident fit into the "Ontario Fault chart" as a split liability (say for example, 75 / 25 in Mr. Elbe's favour), then Mr. Elbe would have to pay 25% of his collision deductible amount to the body shop effecting his repairs...

Do you have to pay a deductible for a no fault accident like this?

It's really frustrating just looking at the picture! Good to know you guys are OK.
When I wanted to sell my 2012 VW, whenever I get an enquiry and I tell them there was a $1000 repair (rear bumper), I get the not-interested-anymore-tone and never hear back from them. Not to make you feel worse but I wish there was a better way handling such scenarios...

I visited Excellence Auto Scarborough location today to see what's happening. Was greeted at the door by Mark Millner the manager. Mark took the time to explain and show what they were doing to every one of the five Teslas in the shop. his Tesla knowledge was incredible. Also the shop was so clean you could eat off the floor. Despite my mishap, I went away with a really good feeling that my baby is in excellent hands. I am still hoping that I can participate in the "Reach the Beach" event in two weeks.

Repairs are completed but now car is waiting to get alignment done at Lawrence Service Center. They are swamped with work and it was supposed to be done today but now the next ETA is Monday.

Update:
The Service Center did the alignment late Saturday afternoon and the owner of Excellence Auto Collision went beyond the call of duty and personally delivered my P85D to my home at 7 in the evening today. Happy camper here.

Last edited:
Luckily my insurance has a "no depreciation" clause for the first two years of ownership.

That only applies if your vehicle is written off so it has no application to this accident if your vehicle is repairable. When you go to sell your vehicle, you must declare that accident and as such your car is now worth less than if it had not been in an accident. Your loss is called "accelerated depreciation" or "diminished value". You can read more about it here:

How do I get full value for my crashed car? - The Globe and Mail

In Ontario it's No Fault insurance, so I'm sure your own Insurance will pay. Just make sure they don't assign ANY part of the fault to you as they will use it to increase your rate. If the other driver was from out of Province, then his insurance must pay according to fault. Don't let them screw you around. They will try to deduct several silly fees from your settlement. Remember, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" :wink:

"No-fault insurance" has nothing to do with "your own Insurance will pay". The term "no-fault" insurance simply means if you are injured, or if your car is damaged in an accident, then you deal with your own insurance company, regardless of who is at fault. If the OP did not have first party coverage (i.e. collision coverage in this instance) then his insurer would not be fixing his car, regardless of no-fault insurance, if he was at fault. Fault is still relevant in "no-fault" insurance since the insurer for the at-fault insured pays for the property damage. Third party liability coverage is mandatory in all of Canada for licensed vehicles driven on public roads, first party property coverage is not. Whether or not the other driver is from out of Province is also not relevant.

Last edited:
Make sure you check the paint in the sunlight, I had to send mine back to get the bumper repainted, still isn't perfect but 'the best they can do with multicoat red'

IMG_20150424_140046-001.jpg