Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car doesn't work anymore, could it be the battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No my friend, they charge 482 to put your hand on the car and it can be more depending on how many hours they use to find the problem. But as I said, they don't fix parts, they replace them completely, for example... If they look at my battery and find a wire with a problem, they don't fix the wire and have the battery replaced completely, that's why I resist talking with Tesla.

So, if we are understanding what you have said here the situation is thus:

You purchased a 2014 Model year Model S, that had obvious damage on one side of the car, and you bought this car under verbal promises from the Dealer that the obvious damage you saw was "just a cosmetic issue". You were verbally told there was "nothing else wrong with the car" by said dealer, and did no other due diligence on the car to determine its status.

You purchased the car, and "a few days" after buying the car, you get all sorts of errors, then created an account here on TMC to ask about them. The dealer you bought the car from says "you bought it, its your issue now".

Does this summarize what has happened?

Reactions: wk057
So, if we are understanding what you have said here the situation is thus:

You purchased a 2014 Model year Model S, that had obvious damage on one side of the car, and you bought this car under verbal promises from the Dealer that the obvious damage you saw was "just a cosmetic issue". You were verbally told there was "nothing else wrong with the car" by said dealer, and did no other due diligence on the car to determine its status.

You purchased the car, and "a few days" after buying the car, you get all sorts of errors, then created an account here on TMC to ask about them. The dealer you bought the car from says "you bought it, its your issue now".

Does this summarize what has happened?
Exactly.

No my friend, they charge 482 to put your hand on the car and it can be more depending on how many hours they use to find the problem.
No they do not. They charge an hourly rate, just like any other mechanic shop. What you are seeing is merely an estimate. It may be more, it may be less. Hourly rates are clearly posted in every SC I have ever stepped foot in.

But as I said, they don't fix parts, they replace them completely, for example... If they look at my battery and find a wire with a problem, they don't fix the wire and have the battery replaced completely, that's why I resist talking with Tesla.
Again, no they don’t. At least not the way you are making it sound. If there is an issue with your HV system, yes; they do not “repair” parts. If my door handle is damaged, they replace the handle. Not the entire door.

Again, good luck. You’re going to have to pay to have this diagnosed and fixed.

No they do not. They charge an hourly rate, just like any other mechanic shop. What you are seeing is merely an estimate. It may be more, it may be less. Hourly rates are clearly posted in every SC I have ever stepped foot in.

Again, no they don’t. At least not the way you are making it sound. If there is an issue with your HV system, yes; they do not “repair” parts. If my door handle is damaged, they replace the handle. Not the entire door.

Again, good luck. You’re going to have to pay to have this diagnosed and fixed.
Thanks man!

Tesla definitely does not do many repairs on battery packs. At best they'll replace the main fuse and contactors. Anything beyond that they won't do and will tell you that you need a new pack.

Sounds like you were scammed by the dealer and if the paperwork you signed says "as-is" you would seem out of luck to pursue anything with the dealer.

However the only thing missing from your account was you said you had the eMMC recall done a few days ago. How does this fit with the timeline of your car? There were no signs before the eMMC recall was done? And no signs immediately after?

Tesla was willing to do the recall even with visible damage to the car? I recall Tesla refusing to do that in other cases, pointing people to body shops to fix the car first.