Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car doesn't work anymore, could it be the battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok. The 12V battery in the car is charged from the traction battery. Things can happen: the very high input voltage to 12V charger output can fail. Fuses can blow on that link. Wires can get loose. Any of which means that the 12V battery is left on its own. Given the power required by the various computers in the car, color me Not Surprised.

FWIW, back in the day, a short developed in the wiring harness of my relatively new M3, causing the high voltage pyro fuse to blow and, likewise, leaving the 12V battery hung out to dry. Most of the error messages on the screen were from the battery voltage monitors metaphorically crying for help.

The car was repaired under warranty. Interestingly, the 12V battery was also replaced at the time. And the reason for that is that it’s serious bad karma to run any battery down to zero. One or more cells are likely to get reversed in potential when this happens: if so, it may not recover at all, leaving one with a dead battery or one with a seriously reduced lifetime.

Ford is not going to be able to fix this, unless they got somebody with the Tesla troubleshooting software and training chops. That new battery you bought is probably toast, but an SC can probably put the car to rights.

Are you refusing to make a service appointment on purpose?

Probably because they bought a car with existing damage, from a dealership who then told them "there is nothing they can do" after the OP got all these errors "just a few days" after buying it. I am not sure why no one is mentioning this, since the OP specifically said "I just bought it", "I bought it with damage I expected to fix" and "the dealership I bought it from says 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ "

My car has only 35k miles on it, and I just bought it a few days ago.

I bought it from a dealership near miami but the dealership said they couldn't help me with anything, I bought the car like this and there's nothing he can do

The car had to fix the left side because it's crashed, so I imagined it wouldn't have other problems. I expected to spend only about 5k to fix the side

Reactions: zoomer0056
Hello guys! unfortunately I changed the battery and the error continued, I put a new 12v battery and I don't know what happened... it drained in less than 30 minutes. Unfortunately I don't know what else to do...

Contact the Electrified Garage (two locations in Florida) or WK057. Either one of those places can diagnose the issue and likely repair it for significantly less than what Tesla would charge.

This is not something you will be able to fix on your own.

Reactions: whitex
Probably because they bought a car with existing damage, from a dealership who then told them "there is nothing they can do" after the OP got all these errors "just a few days" after buying it. I am not sure why no one is mentioning this, since the OP specifically said "I just bought it", "I bought it with damage I expected to fix" and "the dealership I bought it from says 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ "
Glide of course knows all of this - he’s just being an unhelpful knob. That’s kinda his thing.

Hello guys! unfortunately I changed the battery and the error continued, I put a new 12v battery and I don't know what happened... it drained in less than 30 minutes. Unfortunately I don't know what else to do...
The 12V battery draining means your DC-to-DC is not kicking in to recharge it. Teslas recharge 12V batteries often, even when parked. When the cooling pumps for the battery are going, I've seen it recharge every couple of hours (I also managed to drain my 12V battery in less than a couple of hours once when I pulled out the main screen MCU for repair, which caused the DC-to-DC to never turn on).

Your car being in an accident might have suffered more than just body damage, you might have electronics damage too. I'd check with Electrified Garage or wk057 to get an assessment of what is obviously broken and what it will cost to repair - it will be cheaper than what Tesla will charge you, if they even help you (they refuse to repair totaled or savage title cars for example - they also cut them off from DC charging once they know the car has been totaled).

Glide of course knows all of this - he’s just being an unhelpful knob. That’s kinda his thing.
I was told that the car was perfect, it just needed bodyshop work and that was it. The other problems were never mentioned, the worst thing is that when I bought it I had a 10 day or 150 mile warranty, the problems started to appear when I had 272 miles, consequently I had no warranty at all

Just because you buy a car from a dealership, doesn’t mean it has a warranty.

OP is in FLA and there is no lemon law on used vehicles. I wouldn’t expect any dealer down there to assist. The time for due diligence is before the sale.

If OP really wants to, they can try and sue the dealer. But they will not win.

The 12V battery draining means your DC-to-DC is not kicking in to recharge it. Teslas recharge 12V batteries often, even when parked. When the cooling pumps for the battery are going, I've seen it recharge every couple of hours (I also managed to drain my 12V battery in less than a couple of hours once when I pulled out the main screen MCU for repair, which caused the DC-to-DC to never turn on).

Your car being in an accident might have suffered more than just body damage, you might have electronics damage too. I'd check with Electrified Garage or wk057 to get an assessment of what is obviously broken and what it will cost to repair - it will be cheaper than what Tesla will charge you, if they even help you (they refuse to repair totaled or savage title cars for example - they also cut them off from DC charging once they know the car has been totaled).
I'll call to wk057 to see if they can help me, electrified garage is working with me now

Reactions: zoomer0056
So, to be clear, they gave you an estimate and you don’t want to pay to have it fixed.

Best of luck.
No my friend, they charge 482 to put your hand on the car and it can be more depending on how many hours they use to find the problem. But as I said, they don't fix parts, they replace them completely, for example... If they look at my battery and find a wire with a problem, they don't fix the wire and have the battery replaced completely, that's why I resist talking with Tesla.