Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car is gone...:/

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could look at this a number of ways. Tesla have no real competition at the moment, there are other cars that are half decent but they're not Teslas. They know that they have an eager customer base, people will threaten to get Audis and BMWs but they know it won't be the car they want. What competes with a Model 3? An i-Pace? An e-Tron? (more expensive), both are a different type of car for one.

So, they know that ultimately you'll make concessions, and if you don't buy one now but are the sort of customer who really wanted one, then you'll probably be back at some point.

Doesn't make the treatment right, but I don't think they have to try particularly hard at the moment. I think it's pretty ridiculous to expect customers to block out 2+ months on the off chance of a random text one day letting them know that their car will be available at very short notice for collection, particularlly at this time of year.

Completely... It's made worse by the unspoken threat of being thrown to the back of the queue and feeling like you'll have to wait for another 2 - 3 months while 'your' car is allocated to someone behind you. That probably wouldn't happen, but that's the feeling they give you through the total lack of effective communication.

Reactions: Roy W.
If Tesla won't improve that it won't be long before Audi/Mercedes/BMW will get back to lead also on electric cars..!

Don't disagree that they need to improve customer service, but other auto manufacturers won't catch up for a while. They simply don't have the batteries, let alone the tech.

Also the OTA updates are not going to be adopted because they make money by selling you the update.

I agree with RoyW, hang in there. We will all get a car in the end.
I sit in row 13 on the spreadsheet on a reservation sort but 50 places lower on an estimated delivery sort (along with RoyW, we are after identical cars). I’ve had no text, call or email from Tesla. I only learnt my delivery estimate by ringing them.
But I’m trying to stay positive. Yesterday I went on an all day Iyenga yoga workshop and can honestly say I didn’t think about the car once.
Om...

P.S. I can’t walk this morning!

3h on the phone (while on holiday)...2 mails sent...no answers.

My VIN is gone and that's all I know....based on that I made my tough decision to cancel.

I know this will be an unpopular post given all the comments on the other threads but this is not the way I expect to be treated when buying a £55k car - in my view it is totally unacceptable and I am not willing to leave my money (and time) on a lottery hoping to win a ticket.

I am buying a BMW for now and I'll wait for next gen EVs.

Good luck to the people on the forum waiting! You have one less in queue to be afraid of :)

Unfortunately from what has been said on here and elsewhere your experience is not uncommon when it comes to not being able to get hold of someone on the phone or via email. That fact alone, regardless of this delivery issue, gives me pause for thought about buying.

Tesla may not realise it or care right now but leaving people with sour memories of the pre-purchase experience is not going to help them sell cars to those people in the future, and those people are going to be inclined to complain publicly about it. A brand that is wholly reliant on internet buzz to propel it forwards needs to be careful here.

What I find frustrating about this is two things really. On another forum someone told a similar story about poor CS relating to being unable to get the VRM prior to collection to sort insurance, like you failing to get through to anyone via phone or email, and being left facing the prospect of taking time off work, traveling etc to pick up a car they can't drive away when they get there. Granted that's a problem that could probably be resolved at the time, but it shouldn't be that way. And the response he got from some? "That's the way Tesla works" and suggesting that if he wants a "marble fountains and a band" experience (an actual thing that was said) he should buy from a different car maker. Incredible.

Secondly, having enough people to answer the phone and reply to emails etc is not an impossible dream. It's basic customer service and it's the easiest thing Tesla can resolve. Just having enough people who can reassure customers, personally take steps to resolve their issues etc can make all the difference and put people's minds at ease. Being stuck on hold unable to get hold of anyone is the worst position they can put a customer in because then they're left to their own dread and stress, and again it poisons the relationship between customer and brand. Those people are left thinking "why am I giving £55k to this company who can't even manage to speak to me about my concerns?". This level of customer service is basic and fundamental, and there's no excuse for Tesla not having it in place for the car's launch.

So, yeah, Tesla and it's hardcore zealots will - it seems - carry on saying that this is growing pains and that it will get better etc, and some will even say that this is what you should expect from them, or bend over backwards to justify why they can't have something as simple as more staff answering phones, but it's not good enough, not by a long stretch.

Enjoy your holiday and try to forget about the car for the moment.

+1 to all those with holiday/car collection clashes.

I had a phone call near the end of July to tell me that my car would be with me between the 7th and 20th of August.
I told them I was going on holiday between the 12th and the 18th and then the person on the phone said 'well, I guess we'll see what happens late August then'.

And that was it. Last bit of communication I've had.

I leave for holiday tomorrow and am fully expecting a call/text/email/flippin'-source-code-pigeon to tell me that I have 24 hours to collect my car or I'll lose it.

It's a farce. Honestly... And the fact that some people here don't seem to want to recognise the distress and stress it is causing some people is so strange to me. I've literally read posts from people saying that so-and-so, 'doesn't deserve a Tesla if they want to cancel' or 'you obviously don't care enough'. That's bananas!

At least we should all be able to recognise - as (prospective or current) fans of Tesla - the brand damage and alienation it's doing? I am reading messages every day from people saying that they're annoyed and angry with Tesla and whilst for some it may feel a lot like a 'first world problem' and people 'throwing their toys out of the pram', it's enough to cause an irreparable brand relationship between customer and company.

And that worries me because I *am* a Tesla fanboy. I've saved and worked for years to be able to afford my Model 3 SR+, and I don't want the future of my ownership jeopardised because the bad service and complaints have got so bad that people are no longer supporting Tesla as company.

(Sorry, I've had a coffee!)
I’ve had three friends buy Model 3s and I tell every one of them about all the delivery issues. It’s best to keep expectations extremely low, but I assure them the car is worth it. It’s just not worth worrying about as there is nothing you can do. Go with the flow. Eventually you will get your vehicle. It shouldn’t be this way, but it’s reality and something any prospective customer should expect.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and Durzel
Unfortunately from what has been said on here and elsewhere your experience is not uncommon when it comes to not being able to get hold of someone on the phone or via email. That fact alone, regardless of this delivery issue, gives me pause for thought about buying.

Tesla may not realise it or care right now but leaving people with sour memories of the pre-purchase experience is not going to help them sell cars to those people in the future, and those people are going to be inclined to complain publicly about it. A brand that is wholly reliant on internet buzz to propel it forwards needs to be careful here.

What I find frustrating about this is two things really. On another forum someone told a similar story about poor CS relating to being unable to get the VRM prior to collection to sort insurance, like you failing to get through to anyone via phone or email, and being left facing the prospect of taking time off work, traveling etc to pick up a car they can't drive away when they get there. Granted that's a problem that could probably be resolved at the time, but it shouldn't be that way. And the response he got from some? "That's the way Tesla works" and suggesting that if he wants a "marble fountains and a band" experience (an actual thing that was said) he should buy from a different car maker. Incredible.

Secondly, having enough people to answer the phone and reply to emails etc is not an impossible dream. It's basic customer service and it's the easiest thing Tesla can resolve. Just having enough people who can reassure customers, personally take steps to resolve their issues etc can make all the difference and put people's minds at ease. Being stuck on hold unable to get hold of anyone is the worst position they can put a customer in because then they're left to their own dread and stress, and again it poisons the relationship between customer and brand. Those people are left thinking "why am I giving £55k to this company who can't even manage to speak to me about my concerns?". This level of customer service is basic and fundamental, and there's no excuse for Tesla not having it in place for the car's launch.

So, yeah, Tesla and it's hardcore zealots will - it seems - carry on saying that this is growing pains and that it will get better etc, and some will even say that this is what you should expect from them, or bend over backwards to justify why they can't have something as simple as more staff answering phones, but it's not good enough, not by a long stretch.

Enjoy your holiday and try to forget about the car for the moment.

Well said. I got a call 2 days ago to say my appointment would be cancelled today because there was an issue with my car and they were trying to find another for me. A new vin has appeared on my account page but the appointment time is still set for today at 4:30. Naturally I would like to know if that is actually still my appointment but with the new vin or if they have just not updated the appointment on the page. I have been on hold yesterday for 4 hours (2 lots of 2 hours before being cut off) I have emailed the delivery team but got nothing back. I now face a choice of a 5 hour trip to heathrow on the off chance my car is there (followed by a 5 hour trip back if not) or staying in only to find I should have been there and they have reallocated my car because I did not turn up!

All this could be resolved if they just answered their phones or replied to email.

• Informative
I’ve had three friends buy Model 3s and I tell every one of them about all the delivery issues. It’s best to keep expectations extremely low, but I assure them the car is worth it. It’s just not worth worrying about as there is nothing you can do. Go with the flow. Eventually you will get your vehicle. It shouldn’t be this way, but it’s reality and something any prospective customer should expect.
Problem is that pre-delivery experience will colour people's minds about what they should expect when they actually have the car.

For many people the pre-purchase experience will be their first interaction with Tesla, so it's vitally important that it is done right and is commensurate with the image the brand is trying to present. Tesla may make lovely cars but that is all for nought if their customers come out the other side of their delivery experience feeling like it was a slog, or they had to make sacrifices they shouldn't have had to make to get their car. People shouldn't have to be saying "the car is worth it".

I can't get over how simple it is to resolve these problems. Just being able to speak to someone on the phone, even if they can't resolve your issue, is hugely reassuring. It is not remotely entitled to expect to be able to reliably speak to someone after you've spent £50k+ with their company!

Reactions: 1 person
I'd happily take a few days off work and volunteer at my local SC to man the phones as long as I could access their coffee machines, I do actually want this to succeed. Totally get the 'I am paying 50K things should be better', yes they should, hopefully sorted once the backlog is cleared. With a little bit of information it should be possible to set expectations and answer a few simple queries.

I really feel for you @andics, it's such a shame that you've ended up in this situation.

I'm really in two minds about this. Tesla make fabulous cars, about that there is no doubt. I've followed their progress for many years, and had test drives in the S, X and 3. On my many visits to various service centres and showrooms I've had quite a few conversations with existing Tesla owners, and asked them how they have found the company with regard to servicing and warranty issues. Without exception everyone I've spoken to has been full of praise, and described a high level of customer service that I personally have never experienced from a franchised car dealer. I was concerned about this because I live about a two hour drive from my nearest service centre.

And now over the last few months we've had a very sorry tale unfold before our eyes, culminating in this amazing situation where peoople are cancelling cars because of delivery issues. No way to contact the company. No replies to emails. Being kept totally in the dark, and having to resort to pathetic ways to gather snippets of information, like checking source code or tracking ships around the world! There really is no excuse, Tesla.

I'm not a Tesla fanboy, and I certainly want and expect good customer service. I spent half of my working life working in customer service environments, much of that time helping to run a contact centre, so I know all about managing phone call demand, email support etc.

I honestly think that the current problems are down to the pure volume of cars, and obviously a lack of staff. That is not an excuse. The situation is still completely unacceptable, and Tesla will continue to lose and alienate customers while it continues. However, by the end of the year, when the backlog is cleared, I think (hope and prey!) that things will return to Tesla normal, where they manage to deliver a steady trickle of cars rather than the current huge surge, and offer a reasonable-to-good level of customer service.

On the contact centre front I do have some sympathy. It's not something you can just "turn on" instantly. You need premises and equipment, you've got to recruit and train staff. And from a business point of view it is very difficult to justify that to satisfy what is basically an huge, but temporary upwards blip in demand. One option would have been to go to someone like Capita, or "Rent A Call Centre" as I call them, but then even though you can have numerous people answering the phone, so all the calls might get answered, the staff know little or nothing, so all they do is work from their script and can't really give much actual help. It's a tricky situation. I expect Elon et al at the top of Tesla have made a business decision - that it is cheaper to lose a few customers along the way than to justify spending millions of pounds on temporary customer support. It's easier and cheaper to just try and muddle through. Just my ramblings!

I collect my Model 3 next Friday. I'm hoping for a perfect car. Everything crossed.

Modern call centres have callback options - that would ease a lot of the stress as not everyone can sit on a phone for two hours during a workday. Answering emails would stop a lot of the calls being necessary in the first place

Neither option needs to cost much and probably doesn't even need new staff.

They also have an online chat system.. that hang up the moment you mention delivery. Even for simple queries..

Sadly at the moment Tesla is very much still a technology-led company and as such they have been given a lot of leeway over customer service shortcomings as a result. As time goes on though, if and when real alternatives become available, I think they're going to end up regretting not focusing a lot more effort on customer service sooner than they have done.

Similar experience. Ordered early May, 1 call in mid-July to confirm details and nothing else. Then suddenly a delivery appointment with 2.5 days' notice that I couldn't make. Spent over 6 hours on hold, sent an email and replied to their text with no response. Sent two other emails earlier in the delivery process and no response to those either. Got a call 24 hours before saying there is a "registration/ matching issue that is holding your specific configuration up" and they would have to cancel my appointment (unaware I had been trying to tell them I can't make it). Now my appointment, VIN and source code VIN have all vanished and they couldn't give an indication of a new date.

It is nearly 5x the money I have ever spent on a car before and I have received much better service from every other dealer/ leasing company that I have dealt with before. However, when you can get to speak to someone I have always found them very helpful (if sometimes lacking in info). The person said they are trying to move away from the phone option to a purely email/ text delivery process, which would probably work well but they have to have the technology/ personnel in place to adequately run the system. Appreciate it is something of a unique time for them with the volume of Model 3 deliveries, but they have to get better at this for the Y and beyond. I really want Tesla to succeed, but when they start going beyond early adopters and aficionados this is not going to be tolerated - even amongst those people are already annoyed. I hope they are taking this feedback onboard.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Roy W.
Sadly at the moment Tesla is very much still a technology-led company and as such they have been given a lot of leeway over customer service shortcomings as a result. As time goes on though, if and when real alternatives become available, I think they're going to end up regretting not focusing a lot more effort on customer service sooner than they have done.
I understand what you're saying, and agree with you, but my experience over the last few years of franchised car dealers has been appalling. You can never got hold of people on the phone. They constantly promise things but then don't deliver. The experience with the Kona has been singularly the worst experience I've ever had, buying anything. The knowledge I've gained in this group has helped me temper my expectations of Tesla.

I understand what you're saying, and agree with you, but my experience over the last few years of franchised car dealers has been appalling. You can never got hold of people on the phone. They constantly promise things but then don't deliver. The experience with the Kona has been singularly the worst experience I've ever had, buying anything. The knowledge I've gained in this group has helped me temper my expectations of Tesla.

Yeah this is my thinking too. Whilst I am completely sensitive to the "surely we should be treated better than this when spending tens of thousands" argument, this hasn't been my experience when buying new in the past. I just went over my emails actually from the last new car I bought (Skoda Yeti) - it took them two weeks to even acknowledge the order, and then it's just a series of dates they gave me for next communication which were all missed and followed by chaser mails from me, along with only being told at each stage that there were all these other things that had to happen after each date before I was going to get a car...

Yeah this is my thinking too. Whilst I am completely sensitive to the "surely we should be treated better than this when spending tens of thousands" argument, this hasn't been my experience when buying new in the past. I just went over my emails actually from the last new car I bought (Skoda Yeti) - it took them two weeks to even acknowledge the order, and then it's just a series of dates they gave me for next communication which were all missed and followed by chaser mails from me, along with only being told at each stage that there were all these other things that had to happen after each date before I was going to get a car...
To be fair this is a premium car in terms of price. My last car (a Cayman) was about the same price and I got exeptional service from them the whole way though, as you would expect when spending £50k