Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car won't charge faster than 60kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems clear that something is amiss, but I wouldn't blame this on intentional throttling until we know more.

My suspicion is that there's a software bug somewhere, given the inconsistency of throttling from station to station and car to car.

I would agree but for the fact that the Tesla service center told me that Tesla Engineering told them that the issue with my car only charging to 60kW is intentional and that an official announcement was coming.

I would agree but for the fact that the Tesla service center told me that Tesla Engineering told them that the issue with my car only charging to 60kW is intentional and that an official announcement was coming.

This would be highly unfortunate if true. I really can't think of any reason for Tesla to implement throttling that's not related to hardware longevity, and given that many people are still charging at 100+ kW, I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Geez... just can't believe they will in fact enforce it...

or «how corporate takes over ethical...»

Elon is a genius but took couple of «questionable» decisions lately (the most bizarre was to cut a part of the workforce in China, in which will be one of their biggest market... yep it started slowly in China but the success of electric vehicles starts with a proper education of them... you don't slash your workforce when you need to educate people to your product...)

backlash to follow for sure in term of existing owner and future sales...

Last edited:

I don't think anyone is doubting you, but there are several cases where we've heard things from Tesla that are proven false or "clarified" later. So we're looking for something corroborative, either in response to another ticket from another customer, or something. Things like "free" local supercharging are touchy subjects, and it's unfortunate that a single comment can send the forum on a 16-page bender. :) Not your fault, not shooting the messenger. Best thing we can do is to file tickets when this is seen and get some clarification from service notes. When we see a corroborating factor (to also include observed evidence of a pattern as well, which we don't really have yet), then the bender can continue.

- - - Updated - - -

So to further my theory that this is contactor related, I have had my contactor replaced (proactively) and my software version is 6.1.2.2.179

I have not experienced any throttling.

Newer cars (the 85D's) already have the new contactors in the battery packs and are experiencing this.

On the other side of this..... I am starting question whether or not I believe that we can supercharge without any ill affect to the battery pack. I think this is what this is all about. It really can't be the cost, because I really think somebody who is there just for a free charge or as their primary charge method, isn't going to go elsewhere to charge, they will just sit there a little longer.