Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car won't charge faster than 60kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the typical kW rate for a car at 40%? (as typical as it can get - I realize there are multiple factors)

Prompted by this thread, I went to my local SuperCharger (Toronto). I'm 5 miles away. I plugged into two different stalls and saw no higher than 50kW (42kW would be the average, I'd say). Only one other person charging at the time. I wasn't plugged into his paired charger.

For your VIN and model, 90-100 kW is normal at 40%. We're environmental factors an issue (I.e., cold soaked)?

Thanks for the info. So, not a positive experiment for me.

And Nope. Not cold soaked. Outside temperature was about 4 degrees Celsius. Power and regen weren't being limited. I had been driving for about 30 minutes prior to plugging in too.

Please report it to Tesla, Service, and Supercharger hotline. That's what I did and so far its been completely ignored by Tesla (another interesting data point).

Please report it to Tesla, Service, and Supercharger hotline. That's what I did and so far its been completely ignored by Tesla (another interesting data point).

I agree completely. When you notice problems, call Tesla and report them.

I have had great support and info from calling Roadside Assistance, 866-998-3752, the number posted on most Supercharger pedestals. At Grand Junction, last week, I noticed that my charging power suddenly dropped to 36 kW when I was at 60% SoC and had been charging normally for about 15 minutes at 3A; I was the only Tesla at the site. I tried unplugging and plugging back in, with no luck. I then moved over to 1B, and the charging returned to normal at 70 kW. I called Roadside Assistance, they pulled my car's logs and the Supercharger logs while we talked, confirmed what happened, then told me that Supercharger 3 had already been flagged at 71% health and was to be checked out on the next maintenance visit.

The good news is they were on top of it. The bad news is that I did not know about the slow down in charging until I checked the App, and Tesla had done nothing to inform me ahead of time that Supercharger 3 was weak; I'm guessing that it was a cooling problem because it worked fine for 15 minutes. Hopefully, 6.2 or future versions will help with situations like this, and would recommend to use a 1x or 2x stall and not a 3x stall.

FWIW, I plugged into SJC earlier this afternoon at 54% SOC and saw a max of 56 kW which quickly dropped from there. So not an ideal test by any means, but I can definitely say it was performing very crappy for one reason or another given my previous data (of which I have lots).

Details:
Stall 4A, unpaired
Loaner A pack
70 F ambient
3:30 pm

I agree completely. When you notice problems, call Tesla and report them.

I agree, but in all three cases where I had experienced the 60 kW limit and called they couldn't find anything in my car nor the SC logs and had basically no idea why. Each time they said they would look into it and call me back but didn't. A SC that needs service is fine. That's expected. But random limitations to 60 kW reported by many people now and Tesla has no clue and there is no word from them makes me a little nervous for my upcoming 4k mile road trip. :/ When I get my service I will ask them about it.

What's the typical kW rate for a car at 40%? (as typical as it can get - I realize there are multiple factors)

Prompted by this thread, I went to my local SuperCharger (Toronto). I'm 5 miles away. I plugged into two different stalls and saw no higher than 50kW (42kW would be the average, I'd say). Only one other person charging at the time. I wasn't plugged into his paired charger.

It makes little sense to limit, unless it's to discourage use by locals. In my industry (wireless), you want people to use the resource as quickly as possible so it's free for others to consume. It's a balance between getting the consumer to pay for the faster data rate and freeing up the network. I don't understand why Tesla would want to slow things down for any other reason than to prolong the life of the battery, or because of some electrical fault.
What version of the firmware are you using?

Larry

I live less than a mile from Rancho Cucamonga SC, in month February I was at 60 for 3 or 4 charges always at around 30 percent SOC. I was just about to call service when this thread started. However since this thread has grown, I've been at 100kw the last 3 times in March always with 30 to 40%

Will do.

Another data point for everyone, I have only SuperCharged once before, back in October or September if memory serves correctly, and that was just a top-up for 10 minutes while I was on my way somewhere and forgot to plug in at home. Same location.

So as far as limiting people who frequent local SuperChargers, I don't fit that profile.

Today Tokyo's third Supercharger station opened at Palace Hotel Tokyo. Two units, and valet operated (no self charging). There was an opening party with 20 or so owners and Tesla employees, including Mr. Kelty, who is the director of battery technology.

So I asked the question about 60kW rumor - and to my surprise, he said he wasn't aware of anything like power limitations for local users with Superchargers. I gave him the URL for this thread :)

If I get further email responses back from him I'll share.

Is it my imagination or has this stopped? I've scanned back over most of the pages of this thread and it seems like the thread starts with a lot of people confirming the behavior, then some people saying they aren't seeing this and then some people posting they have returned to full speed charging at chargers where they were previously limited. This seems to have been ignored and is followed by pages and pages of speculation over the last week or so with no reports of the 60kW limiting actually happening.

Is it my imagination or has this stopped? I've scanned back over most of the pages of this thread and it seems like the thread starts with a lot of people confirming the behavior, then some people saying they aren't seeing this and then some people posting they have returned to full speed charging at chargers where they were previously limited. This seems to have been ignored and is followed by pages and pages of speculation over the last week or so with no reports of the 60kW limiting actually happening.

One of my FB friends ran into it just prior to the weekend. It's still happening occasionally. EDIT: I take that back, I checked and found that he was over 60% SOC (the display showed cut-off numbers and I had assumed he had 65 miles remaining, not % SOC), so it appears that this was normal curve.

Last edited:
One of my FB friends ran into it just prior to the weekend. It's still happening occasionally. EDIT: I take that back, I checked and found that he was over 60% SOC (the display showed cut-off numbers and I had assumed he had 65 miles remaining, not % SOC), so it appears that this was normal curve.

Yeah, one thing to be careful about is that it definitely appears that when this was happening it wasn't just a slightly unexpected charge, but it was almost exactly 60kW when you should be getting something like 100kW or more.

Today I was limited at Gilroy. Stall 2B. Rolled in with 5% battery, temp was around 70deg F. Switched to stall 3A. (3A is unpaired -- it has its own cabinet) and received full charge rate.

According to someone I can neither confirm or deny speaking to, the issue might be an incorrectly installed/changed/removed splitter that is causing the limiting (the cabinet isn't being split properly to each of its two pedestals).

If there was a Supercharger tech performing an unrelated repair at the SC when I was charging he might have said something like the above if I would have mentioned seeing a limited charge at perfect conditions.

There are only a few supercharger techs, and over 400 supercharger locations, so they are working pretty hard.

According to someone I can neither confirm or deny speaking to, the issue might be an incorrectly installed/changed/removed splitter that is causing the limiting (the cabinet isn't being split properly to each of its two pedestals).

If there was a Supercharger tech performing an unrelated repair at the SC when I was charging he might have said something like the above if I would have mentioned seeing a limited charge at perfect conditions.

There are only a few supercharger techs, and over 400 supercharger locations, so they are working pretty hard.

If there was a Supercharger tech performing an unrelated repair at the SC when you were charging that might have said something about an incorrectly installed/changed/removed splitter that is causing the limiting, do you think he might have said anything about that being a recent and widespread problem or do you think he might have just been talking about the one causing the limiting at the location you were charging at?

Yeah, one thing to be careful about is that it definitely appears that when this was happening it wasn't just a slightly unexpected charge, but it was almost exactly 60kW when you should be getting something like 100kW or more.

60kW almost exactly was my experience - and it remained flat until the taper.

3-24-2015 12-53-53 PM.png

Last edited:
If there was a Supercharger tech performing an unrelated repair at the SC when you were charging that might have said something about an incorrectly installed/changed/removed splitter that is causing the limiting, do you think he might have said anything about that being a recent and widespread problem or do you think he might have just been talking about the one causing the limiting at the location you were charging at?

He might have said he earlier changed the one for the stall I was using so it was good the issue was noticed so quickly. (I had used the same stall a week before and got 100+kW). He also might have indicated he'd be checking the TMC forums to look for more info and might be escalating the issue if needed.