Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car won't charge faster than 60kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, we've heard at least two different types of fault conditions at SCs here. Coolant can be low (or, I imagine, refrigerant) which will cause the SC to limit current. And the electronics could be misconfigured or have a fault in it. So ... If you are 60 KW limited and your SoC is less than 60%, call Tesla and let them know. It may very well be a SC problem.

Well, we've heard at least two different types of fault conditions at SCs here. Coolant can be low (or, I imagine, refrigerant) which will cause the SC to limit current. And the electronics could be misconfigured or have a fault in it. So ... If you are 60 KW limited and your SoC is less than 60%, call Tesla and let them know. It may very well be a SC problem.

Highlighting mine...

The charging modules used in the Model S and the Supercharger Cabinets are liquid (coolant) cooled.

In the MS, the air conditioner/chiller can chill the coolant loop below outside air temperature. This air conditioner/chiller is there mostly to maintain battery temps at a reasonable level in hot weather.

The Supercharger Cabinets do not contain any batteries and appear to only use a liquid coolant loop to a radiator with an electric fan, and do not have an air conditioner/chiller.

Today I was limited at Gilroy. Stall 2B. Rolled in with 5% battery, temp was around 70deg F. Switched to stall 3A. (3A is unpaired -- it has its own cabinet) and received full charge rate.

According to someone I can neither confirm or deny speaking to, the issue might be an incorrectly installed/changed/removed splitter that is causing the limiting (the cabinet isn't being split properly to each of its two pedestals).

If there was a Supercharger tech performing an unrelated repair at the SC when I was charging he might have said something like the above if I would have mentioned seeing a limited charge at perfect conditions.

There are only a few supercharger techs, and over 400 supercharger locations, so they are working pretty hard.

I've tracked you! You wear actually charging in Langley, Virginia ;)

I think the thread stopped bc tesla isn't doing anything about the problem so there aren't fixes or any real updates to give. As of this Sunday, I am still limited at Darien north charger with well under 60% soc and I'll be trying east Greenwich, ri today again with under 60% as well. I was also limited there two weeks ago so seeing if anything has changed. But nope, problem is still there and the service center keeps telling me lots are normal. Just no point to keep posting about it unless someone gets an actual fix.

im just curious if there's any kind of legal foot to stand on if they can't fix this issue with my car as far as either lemon law or false advertising. If they had said that it would take an hour to charge half my battery at a supercharger, it definitely would have affected my decision to buy the car and I don't think it's fair for me to take a huge hit on depreciation if I decide to switch back to an ice because double the supercharging time is not acceptable to me.

Last edited:
I think the thread stopped bc tesla isn't doing anything about the problem so there aren't fixes or any real updates to give. As of this Sunday, I am still limited at Darien north charger with well under 60% soc and I'll be trying east Greenwich, ri today again with under 60% as well. I was also limited there two weeks ago so seeing if anything has changed. But nope, problem is still there and the service center keeps telling me lots are normal. Just no point to keep posting about it unless someone gets an actual fix.

im just curious if there's any kind of legal foot to stand on if they can't fix this issue with my car as far as either lemon law or false advertising. If they had said that it would take an hour to charge half my battery at a supercharger, it definitely would have affected my decision to buy the car and I don't think it's fair for me to take a huge hit on depreciation if I decide to switch back to an ice because double the supercharging time is not acceptable to me.

Do you have documentation that guarantees the ability to charge the car at a certain rate at Superchargers? If not, the answer is no. With relationship to Supercharging, Tesla has always said "up to" or "about" with charging rates.

But I'm confident that if you keep calling the Supercharger number each time it charges at a slow rate, and you file appropriate tickets with your service center, that the matter will be addressed; escalate (KINDLY) to your service manager, explain that you're not getting the rates that others are getting, and ask them to dig in with engineering.

I can guarantee this thread did not stop because there is no update. The "A" pack thread @ 90 kW still lives on, 2 years after it was determined and explained. There are owners still very much upset. I can guarantee that if many were seeing 60 kW limitations we'd see post after post here of each experience.

Jumping right to legal threats will put Tesla in a defensive position with regard to you and everything will operate based on the letter of contracts. That's never a good thing for either side. Tesla has proven that unless you're acting like a complete ass and being unrealistic (I can think of one particular person in Wisconsin, among others), they are willing to work with you.

For anyone that's experienced the 60kW limit, has anyone been able to observe yourself unplugging and then another car pull into the same spot and plug into the same exact charger and NOT be limited? this would rule out any SC fault....

Unless it were a combination SC + car bug. I think there were some posts upthread that exhibited that behavior (or the other way, where higher rate car pulled out and then the charge was limited).

So just to be clear, you are seeing 60kW charge rates until taper?

For anyone that's experienced the 60kW limit, has anyone been able to observe yourself unplugging and then another car pull into the same spot and plug into the same exact charger and NOT be limited? this would rule out any SC fault....
Yes. There are examples up thread. Here's one: My car won't charge faster than 60kW - Page 14

Redi tried at least two of the chargers with the same result. The other two cars at this location charged without a problem.

Redi tried at least two of the chargers with the same result. The other two cars at this location charged without a problem.
Which implies:

1. All the chargers he tried were B (and the other folks were on the A side, although it doesn't appear that's the case based on Redi's post).

2. There is a problem with his car or the software in his car.

3. It's just barely possible that the pilot wire wasn't connecting properly, didn't have enough voltage, etc. Enough to allow charging but only at the minimal level. This could be a contamination problem. (

3a. Is there any geographical correlation. For example: Is it more prevalent in dusty areas?

Yes but actually there isn't even much tapering until maybe the last 10 miles or so. It stays at 60 kW regardless of the soc but I'm not a frequent supercharger user so I've only ever experienced it 2 times in the last month.

Interesting. On the trailing end of the taper, you seem to be getting better than the A packs.

More specifically, for all the samples in that chart in the >= 70% SOC the taper is below 60KW. That maps to the last 79.5 miles, which is quite a bit better than the "last 10 miles" you call out for the taper you're seeing.

Which implies:

1. All the chargers he tried were B (and the other folks were on the A side, although it doesn't appear that's the case based on Redi's post).

2. There is a problem with his car or the software in his car.

3. It's just barely possible that the pilot wire wasn't connecting properly, didn't have enough voltage, etc. Enough to allow charging but only at the minimal level. This could be a contamination problem. (

3a. Is there any geographical correlation. For example: Is it more prevalent in dusty areas?

4. Something going on which we don't know about.

My posts earlier in this thread strongly suggest Tesla are making a book loss on Supercharging (and I'd go as far as to say one they weren't expecting). It's not at all unreasonable to also assume they are exploring options to stem this.

The language has changed, the 6.2 announcement Elon was VERY clear in stating the long distance enabling purpose nature of Supercharging, and the website has changed to reflect this too. I believe this is the early phase of the social acceptability piece.

Personally I think capping cars at 60kW charge rates won't help, but maybe they are just probing the effects ?

After all they know exactly where your car is all the time, how often you use an SpC, at what time, and what remaining range you had, as well as if you had used your home charger, at what time, for how long and if you had enough dwell time, but were choose to schedule charge, etc. etc.

They probably have a fair handle on the use of SpC's to save a few bucks on home charging. By statistically sampling capped rates they could start seeing how certain policies would play out across the fleet.

Randomly throwing in different models of capping, and measuring the owners propensity to subsequently Supercharge when they don't need to will add to their knowledge of solving the issue.

I don't think any of us should have a problem with this BTW, Tesla are a business after all. IF Supercharging isn't the profit center it was intended to be it is in owners interest for them to be turned around to become such for the long term position of Tesla.

IF Supercharging isn't the profit center it was intended to be it is in owners interest for them to be turned around to become such for the long term position of Tesla.
To my recollection, supercharging was never considered a "profit center" inside or outside Tesla. An advertising/marketing medium sure. A customer acquisition and satisfaction provider, also sure. A profit center? I've never heard it described as such.

I just happened to be at Gilroy for another reason on Sun. 67% charge, 59Kw 386V 154A . maybe one free stall. I will head to Fremont at the weekend on another test mission when there should be no one at all and charge level will be below 20%

Well, charging at 90kW right now in Toronto. Battery was power limited at the 160kW mark, and just before I plugged in, I got the "if your battery gets any colder" warning. I was at 10% SOC.

I saw the charge go briefly above 100kW to 102kW, but it has since settled down to 88kW.

Again, I'm a local. 5 miles away. Last time I was only getting 50kW when I should have been getting 100kW.

Go figure.