Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor My car's efficiency compared to others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to know how my efficiency compares to others and what the distribution of efficiency look like among a relatively large sample of users.

Screenshot is attached

It turns out that distribution has the following properties:
  • Most users get an efficiency of ~85-100%
  • The most frequent efficiency is ~95%
  • My efficiency is better than 74% of users (I drive conservatively and I am in an area that does not get too cols or too hot)
By efficiency I'm referring to the ratio of actual miles driven per kWh to the rated miles per hour (the latter is rated by Tesla and is regarded as "normal"). Efficiencies are averaged over ~100 miles

Of course, this distribution changes as the whether changes (colder/hotter). Another recent graph that I added to the app show the correlation between outside temperature and your efficiency. Screenshot is attached

Attachments

• correlation.jpeg
    correlation.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 220
  • distribution.PNG
    distribution.PNG
    415.6 KB · Views: 175
I wanted to know how my efficiency compares to others and what the distribution of efficiency look like among a relatively large sample of users.

Screenshot is attached

It turns out that distribution has the following properties:
  • Most users get an efficiency of ~85-100%
  • The most frequent efficiency is ~95%
  • My efficiency is better than 74% of users (I drive conservatively and I am in an area that does not get too cols or too hot)
By efficiency I'm referring to the ratio of actual miles driven per kWh to the rated miles per hour (the latter is rated by Tesla and is regarded as "normal"). Efficiencies are averaged over ~100 miles

Of course, this distribution changes as the whether changes (colder/hotter). Another recent graph that I added to the app show the correlation between outside temperature and your efficiency. Screenshot is attached
I think a more meaningful efficiency measurement would be actual miles driven over rated miles used. I think that would shift your curve significantly to the left. Theoretically, they should give the same number, but I don't think the Tesla rated value is accurate. At least that is true with my car, unless I am misunderstanding what you are doing. I'm not sure where you get the Tesla rated value.

I think a more meaningful efficiency measurement would be actual miles driven over rated miles used. I think that would shift your curve significantly to the left. Theoretically, they should give the same number, but I don't think the Tesla rated value is accurate. At least that is true with my car, unless I am misunderstanding what you are doing. I'm not sure where you get the Tesla rated value.

Yes, I compute efficiency exactly as: change in odometer divided by change in rated range. The "per kWh" in my original post may be confusing.

FWIW I am in Boston MS75D 19” wheels. Bad Winter this year and was around 400 wh/mi and now from 50-60F seeing around 230 with local roads up to 55 mph. Highway is closer to 300 wh/mi. The heat really takes a toll even with range mode to cut the heater wattage.

FWIW I am in Boston MS75D 19” wheels. Bad Winter this year and was around 400 wh/mi and now from 50-60F seeing around 230 with local roads up to 55 mph. Highway is closer to 300 wh/mi. The heat really takes a toll even with range mode to cut the heater wattage.

Your efficiency vs. temperature data which my app generates would have been much more interesting to look at compared to mine (temperature is mostly around 70F around here).

Nice app. Presently I use TeslaFi and I think it tracks temp vs efficiency but your GUI is better. Nevertheless I have had trouble with the car sleeping when two polling services were connected at the same time (or getting accurate readings to the data aggregators)

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
Nice app. Presently I use TeslaFi and I think it tracks temp vs efficiency but your GUI is better. Nevertheless I have had trouble with the car sleeping when two polling services were connected at the same time (or getting accurate readings to the data aggregators)
My app, does not use the streaming mode that some other solutions use exactly because of its effect on phantom drain. The phantom drain remains unchanged with my app, if you have already installed Tesla's default app.

Assuming I understand it, your question is not hard to answer because every Tesla model has a fixed, hard-wired level of efficiency, determined by its design. As summarized by WK057 in another string:
  • All RWD Cars (non-Performance and Performance): 295 Wh/Rated Mile
  • All Pre-refresh Model S Dual Motor, non-Performance: 290 Wh/Rated Mile
  • Refresh Model S Dual Motor, non-Performance under 100 kWh: 285 Wh/Rated Mile
  • Model X Dual Motor, non-Performance under 100 kWh: 320 Wh/Rated Mile
  • Model S Dual Motor, Performance under 100 kWh: 310 Wh/Rated Mile
  • Model X Dual Motor, Performance under 100 kWh: 333 Wh/Rated Mile
  • Model X Dual Motor, Performance 100 kWh: 342 Wh/Rated Mile
Your current score can be read in real time directly from the instrument panel in your car. Dial the left roller until you see the the mileage charts. You can set one to display your cumulative average. This is the one you can use to grade yourself. Two other sets of figures show the average since the car last started up, the other shows the average since the last time the car was charged.

Any individual driver can do better or worse, depending on his or her driving practices. For example, take a P85D, a dual motor performance Tesla below 100 kWh,. A heavy-footed aggressive driver of a P85D, for example, might average 390 Wh/mile, much worse than the hard-wired design value of 310 Wh/mile. A highly prudent driver of the same car could achieve an average of 290 Wh/mile.

Tesla power accounting has an additional, fairly confusing, dimension. A Tesla battery incurs but does not disclose expenditure of kilowatt hours that are not related to driving. I call these Phantom Kilowatts. Every day while parked, for example, the car uses a small amount of power to keep itself ready to drive and also to receive incoming commands from Tesla Motors. Also, when the car is on but not moving, even stopped in traffic, Phantom Kilowatts are used, especially if air conditioning or heating is in use. Likewise, when you have the cabin air safety system turned on, this consumes considerable power, again in the form of Phantom Kilowatts. In a recent three day period, for example, all of these factors added up in my car to 7.2 Phantom Kilowatt hours, or 2.4 kilowatt hours per day. This undisclosed energy is "phantom" because no part of this 7.2 kilowatt hours was shown on the instrument panel; it became apparent only when I recharged the car and observed that the instrument panel showed 47.1 kWh usage while the actual kWh from the house electricity to replenish the battery was 54.3 kWh, 7.2 kilowatt-hours more.

Reactions: redy
Does the specific model have any impact on the data? S vs X vs 3? Battery chemistry? Ie 3 is different than s/x?

Is there a way to measure plot the graphs based on Models? So for the 3, you could compare RWD vs AWD vs Performance.
Yes, I recently added the ability to show phantom drain rate distribution based on model. Surprisingly, median model 3 drain rate is almost twice that of model s or x.

• Informative
Reactions: UltralightBeam