Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO buying experience timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7/5/17 4:28pm - Emailed advisor asking if car made it from the Indy SC to the Dallas SC
7/6/17 12:46am - Advisor states car arrived at Dallas SC on 7/1 (at the 2 week + 1 day mark from ordering). Is currently undergoing full inspection and entering reconditioning. More tangible updates coming soon.

Seems to be moving along nicely at this point. Fingers crossed!

Thought about starting my own thread but might as well tag along here. I placed a deposit on a CPO on June 15th. I'm in Massachusetts and the car was listed in New York with free delivery. Not sure if I have it in writing or if it was verbal but expected the process to be roughly 3 weeks to get the car up to MA and prep it.

June 29 I was informed the car was assigned shipping and expected to have it up early this week.

I have not been informed of its arrival yet.

I informed them my lease ends on July 12th and I will be without a car unless this is ready. Looking at this thread I fear it will be weeks before it is ready. I hope they can come through with a loaner or rental car.

At this point I wonder why they list cars that aren't ready to be sold.

6-8 weeks of having second thoughts is way too long. (My mind is going, "Maybe I should hold out for AP1 prices to drop" Then I'll start thinking "AP2 prices will come down soon"

For the love of god, let me pull the trigger and drive away with the car!

Thought about starting my own thread but might as well tag along here. I placed a deposit on a CPO on June 15th. I'm in Massachusetts and the car was listed in New York with free delivery. Not sure if I have it in writing or if it was verbal but expected the process to be roughly 3 weeks to get the car up to MA and prep it.

June 29 I was informed the car was assigned shipping and expected to have it up early this week.

I informed them my lease ends on July 12th and I will be without a car unless this is ready. Looking at this thread I fear it will be weeks before it is ready. I hope they can come through with a loaner or rental car.

6-8 weeks of having second thoughts is way too long. (My mind is going, "Maybe I should hold out for AP1 prices to drop" Then I'll start thinking "AP2 prices will come down soon"

I would advise you to go ahead and extend the lease at least one month. It should be a quick call to your lease company. You could look at trading it in for your MS as well if you have turn in fees, wear n tear, mile fees etc. I traded mine in as a lease, they paid my lease pay off and I ended up with extra being mailed to me for the equity I had due to a low residual estimate. Turning it in would have likely cost me a grand or two out of pocket, vs into my pocket as a trade

06/19 - Ordered in Montreal's SC, car is coming from Toronto. Delivery estimate end of July.
06/22 - Got email about financing from California, numbers for my trade-in need to be updated.
06/23 - Got confirmation from CPO advisor that car arrived in Montréal already :)
06/23 - Asked for pictures but CPO advisor politely suggested to wait until the car is ready.
06/27 - Called Credit Analyst in California and got numbers right for financing.
06/29 - Texted CPO advisor for Trade-in sale update and got no answer.
06/30 - Texted CPO advisor again for Trade-in sale update and got no answer.
07/03 - Called CPO advisor about Trade-in sale and he emailed back asking for some docs.
07/04 - Got contacted by person who will take care of the Trade-in and that should be done by Friday.
07/04 - First contact with DS, he says car is going through certification process, will update me at the end of the week.
07/04 - Got a call from CPO advisor late in the day, he offered to match the private offer I had for my trade-in.
07/06 - Dropped off my trade-in at the SC for inspection, due to some miscommunication not the best experience.
I spent over 2 hours at the service center while actually that was not needed.

Guess I will throw my current CPO purchase process in here too.

6/6: Ordered car during flash sale. Car located in Connecticut, I am in SoCal
6/7: Contacted by CPO advisor. Told timeline was going to be around 2 months due to location of car
6/11: Went down to Buena Park to test drive a P85D and met advisor in person (We needed to test out the next gen seats). Advisor told us car was already reconditioned so the timeline would be shorter than originally quoted.
6/19: Got photos of the car - it has a center console, score!
6/25: Notified car is in Burbank and that we would be transferred to a DS
6/27: Picked up my car from a service appointment at Burbank and asked to see the CPO. Got to look at inside as well as get part numbers off suspension to verify P85+ suspension (yay!). Car is dusty but looked good for a cursory check
7/5: Pinged Advisor again since DS hadn't contacted us. He told us there was a delay since the car didn't pass inspection when Burbank looked at it. DS contacted us after advisor forwarded email. Advised we should start financing process.
7/6: Applied for financing with Tesla and a local credit union. Got approved for 2.99 thru Tesla (TD Bank) and 1.99 thru credit union. Also got trade in quote from Tesla on our Audi. It was OK, but we are still going to try Carmax to see if we can better that a bit.

No delivery dates as of yet, but we are getting close I think. Most contacts I initiated. Otherwise it would have been radio silence after 6/7.

Guess I will throw my current CPO purchase process in here too.

6/6: Ordered car during flash sale. Car located in Connecticut, I am in SoCal
6/7: Contacted by CPO advisor. Told timeline was going to be around 2 months due to location of car
6/11: Went down to Buena Park to test drive a P85D and met advisor in person (We needed to test out the next gen seats). Advisor told us car was already reconditioned so the timeline would be shorter than originally quoted.
6/19: Got photos of the car - it has a center console, score!
6/25: Notified car is in Burbank and that we would be transferred to a DS
6/27: Picked up my car from a service appointment at Burbank and asked to see the CPO. Got to look at inside as well as get part numbers off suspension to verify P85+ suspension (yay!). Car is dusty but looked good for a cursory check
7/5: Pinged Advisor again since DS hadn't contacted us. He told us there was a delay since the car didn't pass inspection when Burbank looked at it. DS contacted us after advisor forwarded email. Advised we should start financing process.
7/6: Applied for financing with Tesla and a local credit union. Got approved for 2.99 thru Tesla (TD Bank) and 1.99 thru credit union. Also got trade in quote from Tesla on our Audi. It was OK, but we are still going to try Carmax to see if we can better that a bit.

No delivery dates as of yet, but we are getting close I think. Most contacts I initiated. Otherwise it would have been radio silence after 6/7.
Man I will tell you, Tesla offered me $2750 more than carmax for my trade. That was great. Brought my out of pocket cost for the car down and reduced my sales tax. Not happy with carmax low balling me!

Went through the same stuff in my thread last month. Endless second guessing. The wait just makes it worse as new cars come up on the CPO site and new sales start, cars you might have considered even. Once the wait is over all of that fades into the background once you start driving.

Interesting. The Vegas SC told me they just take your trade-in to Carmax and you get what Carmax says. No hassle, no benefits.
I was given two options. Get a quote from carmax and bring that to Tesla on delivery day to get that value for my trade, or do a self appraisal where I fill out some online forms, take a bunch of pics, and put them in a drop box and share the link with Tesla. I even had to take a pic of me holding a penny in the tire tread. Before any of that happened, my sales advisor got me an estimate based on the vin, history, mileage, and a couple of pics. They didn't try to low ball me; they knew in the middle of May a convertible like this in this condition was going to sell in literally seconds. Carmax basically tried to check and see if I was a gullible idiot. The part where I was an idiot was actually bothering to go get a quote from them. Got the car washed, detailed, went over every nook and cranny, cleaned everything again myself. Pristine condition. And boom, they come in $2750 lower than Tesla. Wow. So, I packed her up, took her to a quiet parking lot for an intimate photo shoot after a little more detailing, followed up with a few more in the garage including the tire tread shot. And a few days before delivery Tesla says, "yeah it's exactly the same as our estimate." On delivery day, they barely even noticed my car. Just handed over the $ and took my keys, practically tossed them in a bin somewhere. It was hilarious. I literally asked them a couple of times, "do you want to verify the car is what I said it was?" And "don't you want to see how awesome my car is?" Haha, the only thing they cared about was making sure I drive off in a MS and not my old car.

• Love
Reactions: dani78
Man I will tell you, Tesla offered me $2750 more than carmax for my trade. That was great. Brought my out of pocket cost for the car down and reduced my sales tax. Not happy with carmax low balling me!

I have had mixed luck with Carmax. My experience is if they want to sell you car on their lot they will give you a very good offer. Otherwise, they wholesale you. I have had offers from them that were well above blue book before, so I still take the time to get a quote from them.

We might also try Vroom as well.

• Informative
Reactions: raphy3
Mine ended up being a little higher with CarMax than the brokers Tesla sent the pictures to (they send them to companies like AutoNation and Carmax to get you a quote). But they also take Carmax offers you get if they are higher. And if the offer is higher than what you owe (whether it be a lease or loan pay off) you get the difference back via a check later on.

Not your typical trade process. No haggling. More of if you want us to also take care of it, here's what we can do it for. And it was well worth it. Maybe not if the value was under. But not having to deal with a self sale, DMV etc is priceless at times.

They too didn't even look at my ICE. Just the milage as its needed for the DMV ppw. I too thought... Don't you want to look at the hours I spent detailing it at least?! :D
the trade just added about 2-3 more sheets to the one Tesla has you sign (OK maybe two). Easiest purchase of a vehicle I have ever done! And best purchase I gave ever done too!

And while you wait, you MUST stay away from the CPO website!! After you won't think much about it! :)

Reactions: raphy3
Interesting reading this page.

I am wondering how to go about my trade in as well. I have an 09 Accord with less than 80k miles on it. I am the only owner. LX-P. Sedan. It has the sorts of wear you would expect for an 8 year old car. No major damage, no accidents. etc etc.

KBB (I know, I know) says I should expect 7k ish from a dealer, or 8k ish from private party.

Tesla came back with an offer of $5.7k which seems pretty low to me.

So debating between Carmax, or trying to go private party. With private party I have to deal with the DMV though, which makes my teeth hurt.

Really torn on what I should do here. blah.

Congrats!!! That's definitely the Tesla delivery syndrome.

Hi everyone, I thought I may as well post here with the beginnings of my experience as well. I've read through this, lots of good info.

I ordered the cheapest Model S CPO I've seen since the big drop the beginning of June - a 2013 60 for $37,000. Pretty basic, leather, pano roof, and tech package. Those were the 3 things I wanted, so I jumped on it. I would have preferred an 85, and I'll likely kick myself during the wait if I see any come up for sale close to that price.

7/1 - I ordered late, got the auto-emails that night.
7/2 - I updated my license and insurance info in mytesla and added my trade's VIN, and sent a reply to the DS auto-email asking a clarifying question and still haven't heard back from him (holiday week, so I get it)
7/5 - Received a call from the CPO SA late (while I was putting the kids to bed), voicemail said we'd connect 7/6
7/6 - Talked with the SA, he was surprised by and loved the price I am paying for this car. Got a value for my trade, discussed the timeline, delivery/pick up, all the usual stuff. He said my car is out with a client as a loaner currently, set the expectation at 6 weeks for delivery and weekly updates. He suggested pick up rather than their shipping as the fee for shipping is based on zones, and would be $2k for me. A one-way flight to Denver (where my car is) is between $60-80, then I could either ship it back or drive it back. He also suggested getting a quote from Carmax for my trade. My trade is a lease, with a year left on it. The early termination fee isn't terrible (and planned for in case their trade offer came in low) if it came to that, but their trade offer is decent, basically break even and that would save me the hassle of turning it in.

As many others have said, it's a long wait. I'm doing a lot of reading about must-haves and to-dos. I know I need to call an electrician about running power to the garage. Trying to decide about the center console options, if I even want to get one (I like additional cup holders and a place for my phone). Floor mats too. I've seen people suggest the LED light upgrades too. I also can't stop looking at the route planners, both planning the drive back from Denver, and our usual road trips to Chicago and around the upper midwest.

Looking forward to joining the club in a month or so!