Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My credit card fell in the center console and now I can't get it out!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Just had my first terrible experience with Tesla's interior design. Most likely my mistake but this has never happened to me in the dozen other cars I've owned over the years.

So I placed a credit card directly on the center console cover (the smooth part that slides in and out). Upon braking, the card slid forward and into the tiny slot that separates the console cover from the actual console body (it's hard to describe). So I thought, no big deal, the card is probably in the center console storage area - well guess what it's not!!! I'm pretty sure the card ended up in the portion of the center console "in front" of the storage area (which is not reachable) or jammed in between the console cover and the storage section. Either way I am not able to retrieve it and it would take some major disassembly of the center console to get to it.

At this point I'm letting it be, but it was a terribly frustrating experience.

</end_rant>

• Funny
Reactions: Plug Life
There's a cubby above the console. With two fingers put pressure downward from both sides, then the cubby drops and you can easily remove it. Now you have easy access to the back of the console. Hope this helps. You can put the cubby back by sliding it back there and apply upward force to settle two metal clips. I did that more than ten times and it's easy and not breakable.

• Informative
Reactions: liuping and Jimmy 1
There's a cubby above the console. With two fingers put pressure downward from both sides, then the cubby drops and you can easily remove it. Now you have easy access to the back of the console. Hope this helps. You can put the cubby back by sliding it back there and apply upward force to settle two metal clips. I did that more than ten times and it's easy and not breakable.

Wow could you explain that in a little more detail. Sounds exactly like what I need to do. Thank you soon much!

Reactions: hiroshiy
I think @Need 's photo above explained well. It is scary for the first time to drop the cubby but believe me it's easy!

Thanks but those are not my photos. I just remember reading the exact same thing on the MX forum so I linked it. :)

And now that Tesla does not refurbish CPOs, that would be the first place you go look to dig for treasures after you bought a CPO! LOL. Who knows, you might find a few hundred dollars bills....

It happened to me on my X. I ended up bringing my car into service (for unrelated issue) and asked if they can get it out for me. Upon picking up the car, my cc was placed in cupholder. They did have to disassemble some parts to get to it.

This worked brilliantly on my Model X. Very easy to do. Thanks!!

Martin

I stopped by the Chicago service center when it happened to me, and they popped it out in a few seconds.

That doesn't discount the larger design issue, but at least it's an easy fix -- and an incentive to keep anything slimmer than an iPhone atop the console.