Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Delivery Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'll be fine. Just remember that in life, it's not what happened to you or what you bought/drove that will be remembered. How you deal with people and circumstances is what reflects the kind of person you are. Everything happens for a reason, at least that's what I believe. Here's hoping for a flawless delivery!

Seriously though. Go in expecting the worst and hoping for the best. It's so much easier when you're pleasantly surprised rather than super pissed off. :cool:

You'll be fine. Just remember that in life, it's not what happened to you or what you bought/drove that will be remembered. How you deal with people and circumstances is what reflects the kind of person you are. Everything happens for a reason, at least that's what I believe. Here's hoping for a flawless delivery!

Seriously though. Go in expecting the worst and hoping for the best. It's so much easier when you're pleasantly surprised rather than super pissed off. :cool:

Amen, couldn't agree more!:)

• Love
Reactions: TexasRat and P85_DA
Finally, took delivery at the Fremont center. Not much to say about this center other than what many have already posted on TMC & Tesla forum; it's just chaos and shitty service. Plan to be there 4-5 hours, like I was, and not the 1 hour they tell you. Do not expect your car to be detailed. Instead, you can expect a dirty car with fingerprints all over, grease(?), some kind of very fine "metal" particles all over the car, etc. For me, these things were a non-issue (can pay & get it detailed somewhere else if one really wants to do so).

Thankfully, I did not see most of the issues that I really hoped I would not see. Of course, there were some issues:

1. On both FWDs, right under the area where the door latches on, the welding is bad. I can clearly see a gap. The delivery person said it is not a weld, but I don't really buy that. He said it will not effect anything when I asked about potential damage when water gets inside through those gaps. Others have discussed this issue on TMC before with pics, and Tesla is well aware of it! This is my top concern. I don't know what impact the gaps will have as the car ages?? The delivery guy said there is nothing they could do about it and I have the option to reject delivery.
2. As soon as I drove off the lot, the car shook, which I knew could be nothing else other than shudder!! With just 7 miles on the car!:(
3. Clearly visible bad paint job on drivers side door panel & passenger side FWD. They could not buff it out (was that bad!).
4. One of the FWD seal was partly peeled off (beats me how they missed such a glaring error, all I had to do was open the door and it was staring at me)!!
5. The spoiler alignment is off.
6. Wheel alignment is slightly off.
7. A/C is not as cold as I would expect, but I don't have any other Tesla to compare with, so I am not sure if there is an issue with the A/C or this is how it works in the X. Not really too concerned about it unless it stops working altogether.
8. Random scratches in the frunk and few other areas, which I don't want to think about.

I took delivery after having the delivery person record all the issues (are you supposed to be able to see the issues in your Tesla account or are those internal i.e. SC can view them?). My main concern is those gaps, followed by #2, #3 & #4. I can live with all the remaining issues.

I forgot all the above issues and the shitty delivery experience once I sat in this beautiful vehicle. The SC will apparently call me for an appointment to fix those issues, but I am worried what they will break afterwards! Since the guy said they can't so anything about the 'weld', am wondering if I should bother about the paint, shudder & the FWD seal? Any suggestions from those of you who may have had similar issues? Thank you.

I LOVE my MX despite these issues. There is nothing on the market like it! About 95% of deliveries were M3s while I was there. There were 4 other MX deliveries, and one of them rejected their delivery! I just wish Tesla would focus on their QA/QC before it's too late and their reputation is permanently damaged.

Tesla seriously needs to hire more people or open a different delivery center in the area. It would also be nice if they have certain times reserved for MX deliveries only since it is a bigger and more complex car, so they can have dedicated time to at least fix some issues before the customer takes delivery.

Should I schedule the SC visit or not is what I need to decide now:confused::(

I am still not sure whether I should get a full wrap - costs between 6-8K out here in SF Bay Area! The other advantage other than preventing scratches is that cleaning becomes super easy with the wrap.

I LOVE my MX despite these issues. There is nothing on the market like it! About 95% of deliveries were M3s while I was there. There were 4 other MX deliveries, and one of them rejected their delivery! I just wish Tesla would focus on their QA/QC before it's too late and their reputation is permanently damaged.

Mad props to you for being able to enjoy the car. any other person would declare Tesla a trash company and go buy an i-pace, rant on the TMC for 4 years, or talk about how elon musk is the next tech madoff.

I am still not sure whether I should get a full wrap - costs between 6-8K out here in SF Bay Area! The other advantage other than preventing scratches is that cleaning becomes super easy with the wrap.

That depends on what color you have. some hide defects better, some show them worse. Take pics.

@bayx Glad you were able to take delivery of your vehicle. Some of your issues would benefit from having pics for sure.

A few things:

#1 - That isn't a weld. It's like a silicone glue they use to seal up whatever is hiding beneath it and paint over it. Every car has one. Just because it doesn't look good, it doesn't mean that you have a bad weld and your car is going to rust. There's actually another post on the forums about it. You should be able to dig for it if you want. Mine aren't that bad, but I've seen some bad ones. I don't believe it affects the integrity of the car.

#2 - I doubt it's acceleration shudder. I had a couple of odd shakes the first day I drove it home and they've disappeared. It might just be your car loosening up ... I don't know what else to call it. I would expect acceleration shudder to occur only after more driving that what you're describing, but I'm not an expert. If it is, at least the half-shafts are under warranty and there's a post declaring that the issue has been fixed with the new parts.

The rest sound annoying but hopefully minor. I don't know how bad the paint defects you're seeing are. If you're going to do a wrap, then perhaps paint correction would help buff them out if they're minor enough.

My A/C is unbelievably cold and I am used to my amazing lexus vehicles.

I suggest doing what I did, which was to make note here of all of the issues you have along with photos to help you with your first service, should you choose to ask them to address them.

Good luck!

Yes, pics coming soon...

@TexasRat thanks for clarifying the #1 issue, their tech person is going to call me about it this week, and I will have a chance to ask more questions. I went through the thread that you mentioned too.

I am not a car expert either, so I hope it's not the shudder this early on in its life. I am going to take it on a longer drive this weekend, so should be able to gather more info.

The remaining issues are minor (more an annoyance than anything else). I too had those minor trim issues (excess rubber sticking out, etc), which I didn't even bother pointing out to them. I am going to check out the A/C on their showroom cars so that I can determine if mine has a problem or not. I am hesitant to point out something to SC and then have them break something else, so will only have them look at issues that might be major.

The P100D that I test drove had weak A/C as well but it should definitely feel like cold cold air coming out of the vents. As TexasRat said, many people note cracking of the paint in that area under the falcon wing doors, and it's considered an esthetic issue and not anything structural. Mine isn't cracked but it's not smooth looking either.

Congrats on delivery!!

Reactions: Kacey Green