Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Delivery Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@outie got a buyback from the FWD issue by itself I believe. You may have to follow through with a lemon law claim though to maybe force their hand to initiate a buyback. There may be others here as well that have had experiences with it.

I think it depends on how many issues still REALLY bother you. Do you have pics of the bumper and scratch? How much is the resale value of the car really going to get hit if you get a few things repainted? I feel like most people buying a used car aren't going to care as much as this isn't a collector's car, garage queen or a car that is designed to hold its value for prolonged periods of time.

If it were me and I was happy with everything else on the car, I would probably have them repaint it and move on. Then again, I plan on keeping the car for 10 years (who knows if I'll actually get there or not) so the overall resale value is going to hit rock bottom by the time I sell it.

I'd probably have them replace the liftgate while they're at it. Just wait until they get the part in, as the car is totally drivable in the meantime.

It took the SC three tries to get most of my issues resolved. They still have an order for my fender garnishes and chrome trim that will get here eventually and then a mobile tech will install it. That will be like, months from now? I also have to go back Friday to get my key fobs reprogrammed.

As far as the seals go, maybe give them the benefit of the doubt unless it REALLY looks like it can't settle in. Which seals are these? Do they actually look like they'll compromise keeping water out of the car? Make them fix it until it's to your satisfaction, for sure. I just would make sure you take about 3 or 4 steps back and make sure it still bothers you from that distance. I'm a lot more lenient with cosmetic-only things as long as it's not terribly egregious.

What do you mean that doors don't close all the way like they used to? Is this after they did FWD adjustments? This is why I really didn't want them touching my FWDs....but they did...and I'm not sure if it's 100% better or not. I am taking pictures of the bubbling of my PPF every several weeks to make sure the bubbles aren't getting larger or the wrap is starting to peel ... sure hope it doesn't. That does is still not 100% aligned and flush, but it's decent.

In the end, this goes back to making sure each of us sets realistic expectations. The appeal of the car isn't the fit and finish (especially exterior, interior is actually pretty good though not perfect), it's the driving experience. Every day driving the car puts a large smile on my face, even when I don't get drive it aggressively. If that isn't your experience, then definitely push harder on the SC to fix everything to your liking so that it becomes how you feel when driving. You need to start making records of all of your visits and what they were there for though, if you want any hope on legally forcing them to do a buyback.

Yes, the FWD door issue is after the SC visit, it wasn't there before! The seals are for both FWDs, and my concern is that water can pour in or seep into the car with faulty seals. Not sure what they did for the FWD to be sticking out like it is now, didn't ask them to do anything to the FWD itself. The seals really don't look like they will "settle". I had another X owner take a look at mine and we both had come to the same conclusion. Haven't taken pics of the scratch and paint chips yet. I am going to ask them to fix all these paint issues at their body shop, which I am hoping will do a better job of blending the color than any 3rd party body shop.

I took it for a spin last night and the vibration has actually gotten worse, which is another issue that I am going to have them look at and fix on my 3rd visit! They pushed back on this when I took it in last week saying that this is not an issue and that it is to do with lane departure, which didn't make any sense to me (not a car expert).

@outie, when they bought back your MX, how did they calculate the price? I took mine into SC with barely 300 miles. I am wondering how much I will lose if I push them to buy-back, and also if they will let me keep free supercharging that I now have because right now it's the only way I can charge the car.

Yes, the FWD door issue is after the SC visit, it wasn't there before! The seals are for both FWDs, and my concern is that water can pour in or seep into the car with faulty seals. Not sure what they did for the FWD to be sticking out like it is now, didn't ask them to do anything to the FWD itself. The seals really don't look like they will "settle". I had another X owner take a look at mine and we both had come to the same conclusion. Haven't taken pics of the scratch and paint chips yet. I am going to ask them to fix all these paint issues at their body shop, which I am hoping will do a better job of blending the color than any 3rd party body shop.

I took it for a spin last night and the vibration has actually gotten worse, which is another issue that I am going to have them look at and fix on my 3rd visit! They pushed back on this when I took it in last week saying that this is not an issue and that it is to do with lane departure, which didn't make any sense to me (not a car expert).

@outie, when they bought back your MX, how did they calculate the price? I took mine into SC with barely 300 miles. I am wondering how much I will lose if I push them to buy-back, and also if they will let me keep free supercharging that I now have because right now it's the only way I can charge the car.
They use the same CA lemon law to calculate mileage deduction @ first recorded occurrence (of the issue resulting the lemon) and in your case at 300 miles is going to be negligible. Formula is [Price paid] x [milegage @ first occurrence] / 120000. They will also deduct the 7,500 fed credit.

As for supercharging... you will need to negotiate that with the service manager. They are the ones who contact the resolution team. For example, I asked if I could keep my car until my replacement (new order) arrives, and he got back to me after consulting with resolution team. I also asked if I would get my battery upgrade back (60D -> 75D for 4,500+tax) and was told yes from resolution team. I just received the check for the battery upgrade few days ago and the car was returned back in April. The payoff/refund was much faster though.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TexasRat and bayx

Lane departure shakes the steering wheel a bit if your get close to the edge of a lane without having the turn signal in that direct on. If you are within a foot or so of the lanes edge as defined by painted line or drop off, and the signal is not on the wheel will shake a bit. I have had lane departure in my last two cars and like it. But when you are new to it you think what the heck is with the wheel and start checking if you are running over those dots on the pavement or holes in the street. It was quite an eye opener for me to realize I am not signaling to get into turn lanes, merging lanes, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: bayx
A quick update, since I got my car back from the SC, one of the FWD and the lift gate have been having random malfunctions i.e. won't close after opening. Going to make another SC visit at some point, they have to replace the lift gate (whenever they get the part in, which could be...2019??). I still have all the bad paint jobs that need fixing at some point and a few other minor issues.

The car drives well (knock on wood), so for now I am going to keep it and put some miles on it to see if any other issues pop up before dropping it off at the SC again (4th time I think, took delivery towards end of Aug!).:(

• Love
Reactions: IRDoc and P85_DA
Can anyone please comment if this is how your rear view mirror looks like? I just noticed that it appears to be unattached from the windshield!
Rear View Mirror.jpg