Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Experience bringing a Tesla to Dubai

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It gets hotter...over 130f when crossing the desert to Alain in the peak of summer. Honestly heat is not a problem for Teslas as much as extreme cold. One of my friends imported his 2012 signature model s and he says that he loses far more range in the cold winters in the US than he does here.

If you leave your car in direct sunlight for days with the windows closed you can overheat the screens which turn white. When they cool off they return to normal.

We did have one car that came in on a container from Europe that got damaged due to excessive heat while travelling in the summer. Those containers can heat up to 80c 176f if left standing in the sun. Ship your car when it's cooler, or use a roll-on roll-off, or get a temperature controlled container.

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
Hi Luay,

According to a friendly Tesla Ranger we now have 41 Teslas in the UAE, 37 Model S and 4 Model X. They have battled through the hot summer admirably. I don't find the ac any more or less capable than any other car I have owned out here.

I would say from my own use around 8% of the range goes to keeping the car cool. Remember the car cooling system is designed to handle much higher heat loads than ambient temperature e.g. during Supercharging or Ludicrous acceleration to 60 mph in 2.8 seconds.

Here is a pic of my dash while cruising at motorway speeds on a typical hot day...49 celcius.
View attachment 197377

Went to Dubai/Abu Dhabi recently and kept thinking about how awesome it would be to drive a Tesla on those smoothly paved highways! There's nothing better than that.

Charging:

I was able to fly in a Tesla recommended electrician from the UK to help install the wall connector. I was worried about the local knowledge of installing EV car chargers and didn't want to take the risk. That was an entire day's work but was installed and working fine.

I would like to hear more about your charging solution. are you using a US Spec HPWC? what kind of breaker is it attached to?

what do you do for charging "on the road" ? do you use ChAdeMo or Mennekes Type 2-to-J1772 adapter at all?

do u have "twin chargers" or the 72-amp charger that comes with the refreshed Model S?

I hope to ship my US Spec 2014 85D to greece in a few years and I am keenly interested how it would work out in a place that has yet to be supported by Tesla outright.

I am heartened in that when i check out PlugShare in Athens there are pics of photos of Model Ss using what few level 2 chargers and even a ChAdeMo station. Admittedly, this is a Euro-spec model S in the pics. Also, I do not think the Model S I am referring to is domiciled in Greece. I believe the Model S owner is on a road trip.

still heartened by the baby steps....

Not sure the OP is still checking this thread.

At home I charge 3 Phase 32 amp and have a matching breaker. This gives me 22kw. I have a 3rd party wall charger as the HPWC was not available for euro spec cars. I keep my umc in the car and occasionally use it at hotels when road tripping. I also have a chademo adapter for which stations are available in Dubai. Those of us with US Spec cars have HPWC's at home and can charge up to 80 amps with dual chargers. Most private residences can supply up to 100 amps 3 Phase, so either us or euro spec cars can be charged to their full potential with dual chargers.

You can purchase special cables or adapters so that you can charge a US spec car on Type 2 menekes chargers.

Alex

Alex:

this is very helpful information.

What 3rd party EVSE are you using? I'm surprised to hear that you can get 3-phase charging to your US-spec model S. (The J1772 specification which the US spec Tesla connector is based on does not allow for 3-phase charging I was told. It is single-phase only. Perhaps I was given inaccurate info.)

I'm also surprised to hear that your Mennekes to J1772 adapter supports 3-phase charging. When I do purchase one for myself I will get the one that supports 3-phase. (I would appreciate a link to same if you have it.)

it is also nice to hear that you have dual chargers and are able to take advantage of full 22 kW when needed.

it is also nice to get confirmation that a US spec ChAdeMo adapter will work with European ChAdeMo stations.

When using an adapter or cable from J1772 to Mennekes the US spec cars get 1 of the 3 phases. So 32 amps. It's still better than 10 amps from the domestic socket. Chademo is the best as we get the same power for either spec. We ordered the cables from the UK. They even come with the button to open the charge port door. I was there recently at Heathrow Supercharger and I heard they even have a supercharger adapter that allows US cars to charge on the European network.

Visit EV charging leads and cables. EV chargers for sale for all electric vehicles..

Last edited:
Alex has EU spec Model S.

ahh my mistake.

I still maintain that if Tesla wanted a proprietary charge port in North America they should have just used the modified Mennekes Type 2 port so there could be one tesla charging standard world-wide. and yes i am familiar with the comments that the Tesla Mennekes plug is a bit bulkier than the Tesla plug used in North America, but still...

ahh my mistake.

I still maintain that if Tesla wanted a proprietary charge port in North America they should have just used the modified Mennekes Type 2 port so there could be one tesla charging standard world-wide. and yes i am familiar with the comments that the Tesla Mennekes plug is a bit bulkier than the Tesla plug used in North America, but still...

Tesla proposed their plug as the standard, royalty free. There wasn't a standard in 2011-2012 when Tesla had to make a decision and start shipping product.

Love your new signature, Jordan.
Hi,

I've just imported a Model X and can't charge it with the cable supplied with the car. I have a wall charger that isn't installed yet.

I have emailed Tesla and they say the only way is to install the wall charger.

Maybe you can help me with this. It sounds like you have cables and I really don't know what I should be doing.

Maybe we could connect by phone if you're agreeable.

Hi,

I've just imported a Model X and can't charge it with the cable supplied with the car. I have a wall charger that isn't installed yet.

I have emailed Tesla and they say the only way is to install the wall charger.

Maybe you can help me with this. It sounds like you have cables and I really don't know what I should be doing.

Maybe we could connect by phone if you're agreeable.

hi Simmo:

Congrats on yr purchase.. welcome to the club!

where did you import your Model X from? from the USA or from Europe?

if you imported it from Europe, all of this will be somewhat more straight-forward, but in either case, charging is possible..

the Tesla people may tell you otherwise but only bc they do not support charging USA-Spec car outside North America.

Hi All. I am an aspiring Tesla owner in Dubai, i was looking for option a year back, and found out that the only option was to import. Tesla told me that that would void the warranty, and i gave up. Just the other day i saw this car in the area in Dubai where i have my office, and wanted to investigate again. I found this thread.

I don't think i want to import, as i want to use the car as a daily driver, hence i would need service and maintenance locally available.

What is the latest news on that?

Thanks
Anders

Attachments

• Tesla in Dubai.jpg
    Tesla in Dubai.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 160
I don't think i want to import, as i want to use the car as a daily driver, hence i would need service and maintenance locally available.

Eventually Tesla will have a local presence in the UAE. but at this point you would have to ship your car to Europe for service (and most likely for repair as well)

That will change at some point. but it's just a question of when.

@Bojelarsen. I would not be discouraged. We have a large fleet here and we all love our Teslas.We get most of our work done by Rangers. We have 2 here at the moment and this is the 2nd visit this year. If it is something that cannot be done in the field then the car will have to be shipped to Europe or America depending on its point of origin. For body repairs we used Mercedes who have repaired one of our fleet of 45+.

Reactions: Galve2000