Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience with buying an inventory car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going for a S85 with just a few upgrades (tech package being the main one) so the inventory cars were all significantly higher priced because they tend to have every available option. For someone who is considering a fully loaded car this is worth considering.

Used Cars can be a good deal as well for noncalifornians. I got my P85 with just under 12K miles with every option except Rear seats for just over 85K. Included was a HPWC, Twin charger, Full high end tint and full body XPEL. Also had wheel and tire protection plan included for free. This same car new is over $117. Savings of over 32K. Also, I negotiated with the buyer to ship to me for free.

The car looks and Drives perfect. In addition I know the guy who had it babied it to death but with loaners you know people abused it like a rental. I guess you just have to be lucky and vigilant looking for a deal.

Last edited:
About the comment do we get credit for 2500 if we switch from custom car to inventory cars. I asked my sales advisor at Dania Beach. She said that if you buy inventory car, your deposit gets credit towards inventory car. Thinking about it, it makes sense. This makes their inventory fresh as your production car will join the inventory.

From NYC? I saw someone posted on another board that he/she was offered an $85k 60 with around 6k miles for $59k (including $7500 tax rebate). I have been waiting for the Model X but sales tax, excise tax, insurance, etc is factored in a slightly used S with similar range could be $30k or so less. I live in the northeast and have small kids so the Model X is more appealing BUT we are talking 30-35% less....decisions decisions

From NYC? I saw someone posted on another board that he/she was offered an $85k 60 with around 6k miles for $59k (including $7500 tax rebate). I have been waiting for the Model X but sales tax, excise tax, insurance, etc is factored in a slightly used S with similar range could be $30k or so less. I live in the northeast and have small kids so the Model X is more appealing BUT we are talking 30-35% less....decisions decisions

That sounds like a pretty good deal. The best my rep in Ohio gave me is $4k off a $96k sticker S85... they said they don't sell the 60s in their inventory either.

This is is the email they said they received from their sales rep:

"We just go a 60kWh inventory car in that is well optioned out and with a $19k discount and the $7,500 federal tax credit the final price works about to be $59k before tax. Please let me know if this interests you since it will go in the next day or so."

My wife told me at $59k it seemed like a no brainer so it's nice to see she is on the bandwagon, too.

"We just go a 60kWh inventory car in that is well optioned out and with a $19k discount and the $7,500 federal tax credit the final price works about to be $59k before tax. Please let me know if this interests you since it will go in the next day or so."

My wife told me at $59k it seemed like a no brainer so it's nice to see she is on the bandwagon, too.

If you want a '60' you might want to grab that car. I have been told that many of the 'test drive' and service center 'loaners' are going to be mostly P85 or P85+ in the future. The S 85 and S60 will be harder to come by in the future in the form of discounted 'used' vehicles.

If you want a '60' you might want to grab that car. I have been told that many of the 'test drive' and service center 'loaners' are going to be mostly P85 or P85+ in the future. The S 85 and S60 will be harder to come by in the future in the form of discounted 'used' vehicles.

I think a 60 would be fine for our use. Normal daily driving ranges from 35 miles round trip to work to about 100 miles to get the kids to everywhere they need to be in a given day. Ideally for the original MSRP of $85k I would prefer an S85, tech package, metallic paint and parking sensors. If I could find that car for $59k I would be in a Tesla tomorrow.

I think a 60 would be fine for our use. Normal daily driving ranges from 35 miles round trip to work to about 100 miles to get the kids to everywhere they need to be in a given day. Ideally for the original MSRP of $85k I would prefer an S85, tech package, metallic paint and parking sensors. If I could find that car for $59k I would be in a Tesla tomorrow.

good luck with your decision. The supercharger network is coming slowly to the Northeast. I am originally from Chelmsford, MA.. Still have family there. I know my brother and a couple of his friends in the Portland, Maine area are anxiously waiting for the Kittery Outlet and Bangor, ME SC to open before they purchase.

good luck with your decision. The supercharger network is coming slowly to the Northeast. I am originally from Chelmsford, MA.. Still have family there. I know my brother and a couple of his friends in the Portland, Maine area are anxiously waiting for the Kittery Outlet and Bangor, ME SC to open before they purchase.

The lack of a supercharger network is part of the reason why I would be ok with a 60. It would be difficult to go on road trips in New England with either car. We would continue to use one of our ICEs for travel and use the Tesla as the daily driver. If we were to get an 85 it would be in hopes of an improved network in the future.

I am really anxious for Tesla to start reselling trade-ins because we don't need all the extras and don't mind being a second owner to save 30-35%. I've been lurking on this website for a year but had to jump in this thread in hopes of more people posting there experiences buying inventory vehicles.

The lack of a supercharger network is part of the reason why I would be ok with a 60. It would be difficult to go on road trips in New England with either car. We would continue to use one of our ICEs for travel and use the Tesla as the daily driver. If we were to get an 85 it would be in hopes of an improved network in the future.

I am really anxious for Tesla to start reselling trade-ins because we don't need all the extras and don't mind being a second owner to save 30-35%. I've been lurking on this website for a year but had to jump in this thread in hopes of more people posting there experiences buying inventory vehicles.

It has been discussed that upgrading the battery from a 60 to an 85 will be possible (for a price). I really believe that the best prices on used vehicles through TM (where you can retain the $7,500 tax credit which you will lose with a private second hand sale) is at the end of the quarter. Most people seem pleased with their 'used' model Ss. Contact the Natick service center and get on a list for purchase of loaners.

Unless you got this quote again directly, I doubt the car is still available... I mean the original post was from Dec 10 or something. Depending on the color combo/options I'd strongly consider this offer for a 60. The exact car I'm looking at is 81k before tax credits. This works out to about 67k before tax credits and sounds like it has more options.

For those that have gone through this process, do the reps just offer cars from their local inventory or do they search the whole network nationwide? As for signing onto a list at a service center - is that better than just asking my rep to notify me for any cars that come in at my price range? Or did you do both? Thanks in advance.

For me, buying a service loaner definitely made a performance model possible. It also meant what would cost me $110k+ today (without rebates) cost me a little over $91 in reality... all I had to compromise on was exterior color and having 5200 miles.. :)

I don't think it's still there, I brought it up because I think a member in this thread may have purchased it. It just made me realize that great deals are still available on these loaners for those not looking for the $100k+ models. Good luck with your search!

Ah, thanks. Sounds like you are looking for something similar, too. I also hope we'll see a few more of these pop up, but like I said my rep in Ohio told me they don't sell their 60s... I asked him to contact me if they do put them for sale anyway.