Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience with buying an inventory car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lucked out in buying a service car as well. The custom order I was going to place was a gray P85 with the tech package, smart air suspension, parking sensors and 21" turbine wheels. For about $5k more, I got a P85+ with the options above plus the alcantara headliner, matching yacht floor, lacewood trim, leather performance seats, premium interior lighting, spoiler, rear facing seats, panoramic roof and the ultra high fidelity sound. I didn't really want some of these but it was well worth paying a little bit more than what I originally wanted. Plus the service loaner car had only 3400 miles and was located in the same city I live in (Austin, TX). Another bonus was I was able to get the car in a few days and take advantage of the federal tax credit in March 2014 in lieu of waiting until March 2015 (if I had went custom). Well worth it indeed!! It's an option that they don't advertise as much but the folks I dealt with at the store in Austin suggested it was a good option for me. I'm 2+ weeks strong as a proud Tesla owner!

Howdy all,

I wanted to add my experience to this thread... Was turned on to option of the inventory models by Owner Advisor Sha (AKA awesome dude) at the Fashion Island Newport Beach store. Rather than ordering a S85 with baseline add-ons as I originally planned, he found me a P85 all the way out in Massachusetts, made in May '13, with ~8k miles on board. It was pretty much decked out with the following:

Panoramic Roof - Black Performance Leather Seats - Carbon Fiber Décor - Carbon Fiber Spoiler - Tesla Black Brake Calipers - Supercharger Enabled
Tech Package - Smart Air Suspension - Extended Nappa Leather Trim - Alcantara Headliner - Rear Facing Seats - Premium Interior Lighting

Configuration price was $88k. Order placed on 12/14, vehicle delivered in Costa Mesa Service Center on 12/28. Scheduled pick-up time was 11am, but I received the dreaded call that there was a delay, because the delivery arrived later than expected, and new pick-up time was around 4-5pm or possibly the following monday. I live close so stopped by to check things out around noon, and Service Center Manager Ben (AKA the other awesome dude) explained the situation, apologized for the inconvenience, and helped to set me up with the already mounted 21" Grey Turbines, rather than swapping out for the 19" standards I had planned on. There was some curb rash on the 21's, but he is sending a guy out to my home smooth out and polish them up for me. I drove home that night in my Blue P85.

I have not stopped smiling all week... It's been a great New Year! I feel so lucky to have found this option for the inventory models, and I am incredibly proud to be a part of this team!

Panoramic Roof - Black Performance Leather Seats - Carbon Fiber Décor - Carbon Fiber Spoiler - Tesla Black Brake Calipers - Supercharger Enabled
Tech Package - Smart Air Suspension - Extended Nappa Leather Trim - Alcantara Headliner - Rear Facing Seats - Premium Interior Lighting

Configuration price was $88k.

Congrats on a beautiful car!

Looks like if you ordered that car today, it would cost $119,200.

Does the $88k include any tax incentives?

Congrats on a beautiful car!

Looks like if you ordered that car today, it would cost $119,200.

Does the $88k include any tax incentives?

Thanks MassX... and Adden is correct.

This will qualify for both the $7500 Tax Credit plus $2500 CA Clean Air Rebate.

Still my most expensive vehicle purchase, ever...

but with some of these inventory models it's almost too good a deal to pass up!

Thanks MassX... and Adden is correct.

This will qualify for both the $7500 Tax Credit plus $2500 CA Clean Air Rebate.

Still my most expensive vehicle purchase, ever...

but with some of these inventory models it's almost too good a deal to pass up!

Woah, what a deal! I have been reading about some people getting $25-30k off sticker and others only get $1 off per mile, why the inconsistencies?

No such deals here in Canada. Not even close. Max we can get off is $2,000 which is a joke.

I'm not sure where you got that idea. I received over $3700 off an 85kWh (non-performance) Model S with 1300 km (800 miles) on it. In Canada. The time from "I think I'll ask about inventory cars" to car-in-driveway: 5 days. And that included a weekend.

I'm very happy with the car! It's funny, I obsessed over colours and options a year ago when I was going to order, but now am happy for someone else to have made the choice for me. The demo car had the rear-facing seats, but they just removed them and took away the $2800 (!) that would have been charged for them. The car was manufactured in September, I ordered and received it just before Christmas. At the time I think there were nearly a dozen demo cars available in Canada. Call your nearest service centre...

Woah, what a deal! I have been reading about some people getting $25-30k off sticker and others only get $1 off per mile, why the inconsistencies?

I was completely dependent on my Owner Advisor in the shop. When I went in on 12/14, I got the feeling they really wanted to move inventory before the end of the year, as previously mentioned on this thread, and covered the cost of shipping if I was able to purchse before end of year (quarter). My vehicle, coincidentally enough, was initially located in Massachusetts, and was shipped out to me in California, for delivery 2 weeks later. I would go into your closest shop and speak to the Advisors personally, so they get to know you and what you are looking for. Im sure new models pop up all the time, and if one your looking for comes up, you wanna be next in line.

For me it was alot of timing, and luck... i went into the shop to look t a blue, and left the shop having ordered one! the fortunate story of my life.

I've had a bit of a whirlwind day today (Sunday). On Saturday I emailed my Owner Advisor with some questions about ordering as we were getting ready to pull the trigger on an order; we agreed she would phone me Sunday morning. Sat evening my wife and I decided on colour (grey) and all the other musts, while still thinking about whether/when we should order.

Sun the OA phones, we start talking, and she casually mentions an inventory car they have on the lot. So I ask what colour, what options -- grey our favourite, and already including all the options we wanted except carbon fibre, plus 3 more, plus(minus) a small showroom discount, plus guaranteed reduction of $5,000 government incentive grant (it goes away March 31 unless extended), PLUS I GET THE CAR WEDNESDAY. Definition of no-brainer.

So instead of ordering normally, waiting 3 months and biting my nails to see if Tesla can deliver the car before the grant expires, I get a better car in the exact colour I wanted for $2,000 less, or $7,000 less counting the grant, and I get it like right now. Not a big discount like earlier posts but for me just the not waiting and immediate incentive grant were enough. I don't know the car's numbers yet except it was built 11/2013 and has 30 whole kilometres on the odometer, so my signature requires more updating.

So although I don't have the car yet, I'm certain I'll be happy with it. I'm certainly happy with the inventory car ordering process, like everyone else on this thread!

Time for bed (2am). Probably not time for sleep. :biggrin:

Has anyone bought a Model S S85 loaner? We may have settled for the S60 for $59k if we knew about it sooner but an S85 with same options for $10k more would have been perfect!

We are looking to stay at $78k or less, $70.5k including federal credit.

If we can't get a super deal like then we will probably just wait for the X.

So instead of ordering normally, waiting 3 months and biting my nails to see if Tesla can deliver the car before the grant expires, I get a better car in the exact colour I wanted for $2,000 less, or $7,000 less counting the grant, and I get it like right now. Not a big discount like earlier posts but for me just the not waiting and immediate incentive grant were enough. I don't know the car's numbers yet except it was built 11/2013 and has 30 whole kilometres on the odometer, so my signature requires more updating.

So although I don't have the car yet, I'm certain I'll be happy with it. I'm certainly happy with the inventory car ordering process, like everyone else on this thread!

Time for bed (2am). Probably not time for sleep. :biggrin:

Great story Ugliest1... cant wait to hear the follow up, and see some of the pics!
accordingly, your signature says you picked up in the 8th! thats a 2 day turn-around!

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder why Tesla doesnt have the Inventories listed as they do for the pre-owned Roadsters?
see the link:

http://www.teslamotors.com/preowned

Im sure there would be immediate interest, and if they REALLY wanted to do well, they could allow bidding...

...cant wait to hear the follow up, and see some of the pics!...

Well... since you insist... Been driving for a week and just cannot... cannot cannot believe how natural an electric motor is compared to That Which Shall Not Be Named. What an unbelievable machine. And after reading people's experiences on the Forum for the past 1.5 years, I *finally* get in my gut the sheer joy of driving a Model S. Even my test drive in December didn't prepare me, really, for everyday use. I am blown away.

Re getting an inventory car and the very recent change in sales policy, I think it's a good business decision by Tesla and I realize I have so many horseshoes so far up there's nails in my teeth. :redface:

Attachments

• DSCF1477 cropped.JPG
    DSCF1477 cropped.JPG
    693 KB · Views: 730
as mentioned in another thread that i created a while back, I ended up purchasing an inventory car.

specs are in my sig, brand new would cost me 120k (without 7.5k rebate, which I can't claim anyway as I'm not an American resident), if I was buying it with the 10600mi and being a Dec '12 car, it would've been $90k.

Throw a bit of minor accident damage into the mix (all repaired under insurance by Tesla approved body shop), and drop that down to $74k.

Needless to say, I'll be picking it up in 11 days. :D

I call BS on this whole thread!

Loaners were suppose to be for owners of current MS cars and not for people to jump the que. We then were to have the option to buy the car if wee liked it....

Because the loaners are open to everyone for purchase our service centre does not have any availible When you take your car in.

Good job tesla, piss off the owners!