Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY First Tesla....Help! :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I am seriously thinking about moving forward with my first Tesla. I found what I believe to be good a car online and it has 90k miles. Should mileage be a huge issue with these type of cars?

would love to hear your thoughts....

Specs: What is missing?

Your Model S
85 kWh Performance Model S
Grey Metallic Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
21" Grey Turbine Wheels
Black Performance Leather Seats
Carbon Fiber Décor
White Alcantara Headliner
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Tesla Red Brake Calipers
Free Supercharging
Dual Chargers
Tech Package
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Extended Nappa Leather Trim
Premium Interior Lighting

Reactions: ModelX
I dunno, to me that seems like a lot of money simply based on the mileage. Tesla is quite new compared to other automotive companies so there is a huge unknown with the longevity of their cars, and in particular, their batteries. I would be wary spending that much on a Tesla with 90k miles.

With that said, if you are getting the typical CPO warranty of 4 years bumper-to-bumper then it might be palatable.

Tread carefully and good luck!

Well, I am seriously thinking about moving forward with my first Tesla. I found what I believe to be good a car online and it has 90k miles. Should mileage be a huge issue with these type of cars?

Tesla batteries hold up surprisingly well:

Tesla Data

(Click "charts")

The drive units historically haven't held up as well, at least the first generation (the tolerances were too tight, leading to it shaving off metal shavings into the fluid). Has it had a drive unit swap? Either way, the warranty on the drive unit and battery pack are both 8 years / unlimited mileage, so....

The rest of the car is going to be off-warranty. There's a few things that seem to be more likely than average to fail, such as the louvers (main symptom: slow supercharging) and the occasional suspension problem. Pay attention to all sounds and how everything feels. You can check the louvers via supercharging, they should do this:

Might be worth seeing if you could strike a deal with the owner where you agree to take it in and you pay for a full-point inspection, and if anything beyond normal wear-and-tear is wrong the previous owner either 1) pays to fix it, or 2) voids the sale and refunds your inspection fee (their discretion)

Last edited:
How long do you plan to keep it and how many miles will you drive? $49k is 8-10k overpriced due to lack of basic warranty and no autopilot.

My $0.02, If you keep it less than 2 years prepare to lose $15-20k as youll be over 100k miles and pre-AP cars will have trouble fetching more than low 30's. If you plan to keep it long term or rack up serious miles then it might make sense but the 21's will cost you in tires.

while the "drive train" on a tesla isn't affect by the high milage every other component is subject to the same wear and tear issues that any other car is subject to. would you consider any other car with 90k miles on it?
IMHO for $49k you might find better options.

Versus You could get a 75 for $62K after tax rebate with
0 miles
Full warranty
4.3 0-60 (just a little slower than the P85)
All Glass panoramic roof
Smart Air suspension
Premium Interior lighting
AP 2 (.1) hardware
4 years of kinks worked out
Free super charging
Your choice of color
Free streaming radio
Refreshed nose
Lower insurance (probably since it isn't a P)

Hopefully you are using ev-cpo.com or Tesla inventory.com to find a good value.

Last edited:
Free supercharging? On a new MS? Don't you mean "annual supercharging credits"? Old MSs get unlimited free supercharging, not new ones.
Referral Program

Starting May 19, 2017, Tesla owners can give five friends free unlimited Supercharging and a $1,000 credit toward a new Model S or Model X with their personal referral code. Existing Tesla owners will also receive free unlimited Supercharging on any new Model S or Model X that they purchase - no referral required.

Reactions: Quick2Judge
0 miles
Full warranty
All Glass panoramic roof
Smart Air suspension
AP 2 (.1) hardware
Free super charging
Your choice of color
Free streaming radio
Refreshed nose

Right.

The prices for used Tesla's make no sense to me.

Reactions: Quick2Judge
0 miles
Full warranty
All Glass panoramic roof
Smart Air suspension
AP 2 (.1) hardware
Free super charging
Your choice of color
Free streaming radio
Refreshed nose

This also made the most sense to me after looking at all the used options. I sleep a lot better knowing I have a full warranty with the option to extend it later. Plus I got the refreshed front that I liked better. Was able to get a good deal on a demo unit with 1,100 miles on it.

115k miles no problems

Attachments

• IMG_4727.JPG
    IMG_4727.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 69